OT: It's Party Time in Flushing Meadows | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: It's Party Time in Flushing Meadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't understand how Serena lets the nerves get to her early is so many of her matches. Just when you think, she's not coming back to win today, she does it. Somehow she overcomes the nerves and starts to play dominant tennis. She does get a lot of help by her competitors as they're playing great tennis and when Serena applies the pressure they wilt and fall apart.

With the number of upsets in the Women's Draw, its now wide open for Serena to win the Grand Slam. Will her Nerves get in her way, time will tell. Four Matches to go.
I think the answer to that is she's human. She knows the stakes, knows where she stands in history, knows she's not getting any younger, and all that plus more can get to you sometimes. Navratalova was a great champion but often talked about how nervous she was before and during big matches. I don't know if nerves ever got to Graf, but she might be one of the few who never ever seemed to get ruffled or lose her cool...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We now reach the round of 16, where the singles matches are greatly reduced to just 4 for each gender on Sunday, and the same again on Monday. The women's high seeds have been severely whittled down, leaving Serena, Simona Halep and Petra Kvitova among the top 12
remaining. One consequence is the running out of big names for featured contests, where the night card Sunday has 13 seed Ekterina Makarova. of Russia. Who? Just kidding, but the casual follower doesn't know her. Novak's match precedes hers at 7.

The 11am match-up has Marin Cilic, last year's champ. Venus follows, sometime after 1pm against an unseeded foe. She's in competition for TV time with Jo-Willy Tsonga. The mid-afternoon contest has 2 Americans, Serena vs. Madison Keys, who can match Serena in power, if not experience.

Today has left 2 American men standing for Monday play. John Isner has a good record against Roger, but this is a major.
Donald Young is the other. And one woman--Varvara Lepchenko will also play Monday.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Venus looked like the classily magnificent Venus who won Wimbledon five times. Of course, if Serena can close out Keys here, we'd have to endure a classicly ugly showdown between the Williams sisters. Yes, I'll have to root for Serena in that event because I'm pulling for Serena to win that calendar year Slam.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if?

Keys was a good match, never saw her play before... young with power, as the mentioned she should when a Slam soon

I hate to see the Williams sisters going head to head but its nice that Serena will get a nice friendly easy win Tuesday

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
With the passing of Rafa late Friday, his 2015 is, by his standards, a disaster. He does not seem to know what's wrong.
Yes, this year he was coming off injury, but, unlike Victoria Azaranka, still competing here after injury, he seems to be standing still.

Anyway the last American lass not named Williams, Varvara, is up against the aforementioned Azaranka at 11am Monday.
She's having her best year suddenly at the age of 29.

The French Open champ, Stan Wawrinka will follow vs. the last American male not named Isner, Mr. Donald Young.
Speaking of John, he gets Roger tomorrow night.

There's no schedule as yet for Tuesday, but I'll go out on a limb and say the Sisters will be the night match. On form,
I'll predict that Venus will be a stronger for than she was at Wimbledon.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Rafa had won a major in every year from 2005-2014. That's 10 years, 14 majors, no empty year...until 2015. Of course, Roger went 10 seasons with 17 majors and one empty year (2011).

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As I write Andy Murray has lost the 1st 2 sets to South Africa's version of John Isner, named Kevin Anderson.
You know, great height, powerful serve, and with wings that corral everything. At this year's Wimbledon, Kevin
took Novak to 5 sets.
Earlier winners who are now in the quarters are Azaranka, Wawrinka, Penetta, Halep

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Roger just finished putting on a show... against Isner! On to the quarters

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Andy Murray has made the quarterfinals in majors for 5 straight years. Not so this tournament.
The South African dispensed with him in 4 sets. With he and Rafa gone, the men's semis could show us new faces,
but won't include any Americans.

So, today is quarterfinal part 1 day with 4 women and four men in action. Play begins at noon with an unseeded French woman
against an unseeded Italiana. (Remember you were told how the top women were dropping like autumn leaves.)

Then a couple of guys show up--last year's champ, trying to show he's not a fluke, #9 Marin Cilic. His opponent is a familiar name, Frenchman Jo-Willi Tsonga. This year he's seeded at 19, but he's been a lot higher in recent years. His form, by reaching the quarters, will have that ranking jumping.

Unlike previous daytime matches, there should be no annoying jumping around to other courts., missing the hot and heavy
action that had us shouting and twitching and wringing our hands. (I'm one who screams at ESPN a lot.)

And then it is evening and here come the SISTERS. Boy oh boy. It's awkward for them, and all I'll say is I hope each can display fluidity.

Afterwards, #1 Novak does his stuff vs. Feliciano Lopez, the Spaniard who took out the guy who took out Rafa.

Tranquilizers all around.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
on to the next for Serena... that was fun! #history

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, I had no expectations that Venus could pull this off, so I'm not bummed. I know Venus will be pulling for Serena, and I
believe Venus's self described happiness that she's stabilized her Sjogrens, is competitive, and at 35, looks forward to more participation.

Meanwhile today is quarterfinal part 2, with the 4 ladies (Two Italians, how unusual is that?! One already through to play Serena on Thursday. My ancestors are tickled) in daytime matches. Starting time is 11 for 5th ranked Petra Kvitova(winner of 2 Wimbledons)
and Flavia Pennetta. A bit more intriguing is the following match-up between #2 Simona Halep and Victoria Azaranka. At #20
Vika would seem outmatched, but that # is as deceiving as Venus at #23. Vika is a heavyweight and would surprise no one if she wins.

Then in mid to late afternoon, viewers get this year's French Open survivor, Stan Wawrinka pitted vs. the conqueror of Andy Murray.
Kevin Anderson. No foregone conclusion here.

That leaves the final men's match, but it won't be at 7, cause first the schedule calls for some creaky geezers playing doubles.
So Richard Gasquet(12) and 2nd seeded Roger will start at 8:20? 840? 9:04?

Your Wednesday is all ready for you.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, Halep beating Vicka wasn't a shock, but both Vicka and Petra both going down only helps Serena. Halep put up an admirable fight against Maria in the 2014 French Open final, and I'm curious to see what she could do against Serena...if indeed the championship gets to that point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm so glad Grunta is out. I simply cannot stand watching her matches. I like Halep a lot. I hope Serena faces her in the finals - kinda funny that 2 Italians are facing each one. Lots of parallels - Vinci and Penetta both have similar games, as do Serena and Simona (power and athleticism vs. craftiness and change of pace).

Have Serena and Venus ever been on opposite sides of the bracket? I know back in the old days they faced each other in the finals, but in the past 10-12 years - they always seem to meet early on. I think it's a huge disservice that they can't be put on opposite sides. I know they say it's all random how the players are placed, but it makes me wonder...

Reaction Score
Have Serena and Venus ever been on opposite sides of the bracket? I know back in the old days they faced each other in the finals, but in the past 10-12 years - they always seem to meet early on. I think it's a huge disservice that they can't be put on opposite sides. I know they say it's all random how the players are placed, but it makes me wonder...

Venus and Serena last played a grand slam final at Wimbledon in 2009.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Good morning fans. Only nighttime tennis on ESPN, for that's when both women's semis are placed, starting with Serena's match at 7.

Nothing earth-shattering yesterday, as the men's semis tomorrow have 4 guys who have all won Majors.
On form, Roger has been closest to perfection. Anybody with me that he finally wins another Major?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Is the Joker still in it? Roger is looking good tho

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
18 would be a nice, even number for Federer: tied with Jack Nicklaus, Martina, and Chrissy. No, it's not the same at all, but those are analogous in a strange way. I've been rooting hard for Roger. He's been playing beautiful tennis. However, he's got to beat players he's historically beaten and historically lost to. This will be true regardless of who wins the other semi. And of course, he's got to beat Wawrinka. This year's French Open was a disaster.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
DaddyChoc said:
Is the Joker still in it? Roger is looking good tho
yes- must exact revenge by beating Cilic.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
So you tuned in...no tennis...wetness afoot...wetness ahead. Friday at 11 for women's semis.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
At least we are guaranteed one finalist with a one handed backhand on the men's side. I'd probably watch more tennis if there were more players who played that way.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
triaddukefan said:
At least we are guaranteed one finalist with a one handed backhand on the men's side. I'd probably watch more tennis if there were more players who played that way.

I caught some of Lopez's quarterfinal win and was excited to see a good serve and volleyer with a full-time slice backhand (he came over it sometimes, too, but clearly preferred the slice). Such a breath of fresh air. Wish he could have gotten past Djoker but that's a tall order. . .

Obviously his backhand is not the masterpiece that Roger's has been, but it's not shabby.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Along with Andy Roddick and Todd Martin, James Blake was the face of American tennis in the 90's.
Perhaps you've heard/read that he was abused by a NYC undercover cop on Wednesday in a case of mistaken identity.
I'm just expressing a wish that the situation works out to James' satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom