OT: Informal Boneyard 5K | The Boneyard

OT: Informal Boneyard 5K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Inspired by the Husky Run thread I just went and ran a (decently hilly) 3.1 miles.

It took me 25:25.
That puts me at 8th/13 place amongst the participating players, behind Sterling and just ahead of Rodney.

I'm 24 and would give myself a solid 5 on the couchbeast to competitive athlete 1-10 scale. I'm wondering where the rest of the BY comes up.

Reaction Score
Last official one was 21:30. My one advantage of being a week past 30 when I ran it....got boosted into that second age group. I don't think I could get to DHam level, I've about leveled off.

Reaction Score
I only own one cell phone, so I'm not allowed to participate.
I vaguely saw the guy spouting off about this mid-season but missed all the details. Can you fill me in so I can feel included in the joke?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I vaguely saw the guy spouting off about this mid-season but missed all the details. Can you fill me in so I can feel included in the joke?

My memory is a little fuzzy, but some poster made a thread at halftime of the St. Joe's game in the NCAAs two years ago...we didn't play very well, and he called the team "heartless and gutless." So most of us on here called the guy insane, and said they weren't playing well but that this team definitely had heart. Of course, the rest is history...we won that game, and the next five for the national title. Shea, either in that thread or shortly after, made a thread talking about how he ran marathons all the time, and how even at his advanced age he could run 50 miles. He also bragged about having multiple cell phones at some point. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he provided some pretty great mojo during that run.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
In my heyday I would have easily won the race (against the players times) . Today I would be bent over puking and lying on the sidewalk within the first mile. Age has not been kind to me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, are they sure that's really 3.1 miles? Are they 3.1 real miles or is it 3.1 Calhoun miles?

Second, not only am I smarter than you rabble, I am faster as well.

And I have cell phones for days. Losers.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
First, are they sure that's really 3.1 miles? Are they 3.1 real miles or is it 3.1 Calhoun miles?

Second, not only am I smarter than you rabble, I am faster as well.

And I have cell phones for days. Losers.

It's about efficiency, not speed. I can hit my target heart rate by climbing a flight of stairs. You have to break a 6 minute mile.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
38 minutes yesterday for a 5K. Mostly due to a squirrel biting a power line and knocking out 5 stoplights on the major E-W commuter road at rush hour. Each light that was out had be treated as a four-way stop sign. Sucked big time. XM satellite and air conditioning made it tolerable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
as far as personal fitness? I have a pedometer I put in my pocket each day and I get $600 a year from my company just for my normal bathroom runs and meandering through my work spaces.

I'm contemplating a 15K in February but only because it's the Saturday before the Super Bowl and I'll have a great excuse to sit on my ass and drink beer all day.
Yes, I am so pathetic that I'd run 9.3 miles just to make sure I can drink all day during Super Bowl Sunday.

Reaction Score
I was curious so I tried it at the gym tonight. Managed 20:45. I'm 37 and, I guess, in pretty decent shape for knocking on 40s door, but I was about at my limit pace-wise. I usually do 4-5 miles at a slower pace. The fact that the kid who won did it in 17 minutes or whatever is absurd to me. I'm not sure I could knock out more than a mile at that clip before my organs failed.

Reaction Score
I did my first marathon last December at age 44 then promptly stopped running. I restarted last week and did my first 4k in 25:43 so I'm not back in shape yet. I don't ever run at 5k speed so i'll never approach 20 min ... or even 25 min.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I'm 52, but two years ago I ran the three mile as part of the Marine PFT in 22:50. Less than 10 days later I had a hip replaced and I'm not allowed to run anymore :(

My record in high school was 15:21 in the 1978 Connecticut State Open CC meet

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's about efficiency, not speed. I can hit my target heart rate by climbing a flight of stairs. You have to break a 6 minute mile.
Definitely stealing this line.

Reaction Score
Took me a little over an hour this morning - she stops to pee, mark her area and sniff a lot.

But that's faster than when I'm with my dog :oops:

Reaction Score
I was curious so I tried it at the gym tonight. Managed 20:45. I'm 37 and, I guess, in pretty decent shape for knocking on 40s door, but I was about at my limit pace-wise. I usually do 4-5 miles at a slower pace. The fact that the kid who won did it in 17 minutes or whatever is absurd to me. I'm not sure I could knock out more than a mile at that clip before my organs failed.

Thats good speed--that near 8.5MPH on a treadmill. My workout in my prime was 4.1 miles in a tad under 30 mts or 8.2 on the treadmill. Now I run a harder 1 mile depending on the day 8.7--9.1 than alternate walking 4.1(5 minutes at a time) and one minute intervals of 11-11.5MPH(1 minute at a time) until I get to 3 miles. Its hard for me to do the pure 4 mile run 4-5 days a week. A hard one mile with the combination of walking and sprinting is easier and I think still as effective in many ways. Im 46 and have been running since I was 25.

Reaction Score
Thats good speed--that near 8.5MPH on a treadmill. My workout in my prime was 4.1 miles in a tad under 30 mts or 8.2 on the treadmill. Now I run a harder 1 mile depending on the day 8.7--9.1 than alternate walking 4.1(5 minutes at a time) and one minute intervals of 11-11.5MPH(1 minute at a time) until I get to 3 miles. Its hard for me to do the pure 4 mile run 4-5 days a week. A hard one mile with the combination of walking and sprinting is easier and I think still as effective in many ways. Im 46 and have been running since I was 25.

I do the same thing, and I tell myself it's "interval training."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman