OT. How good is Duke going to be next year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT. How good is Duke going to be next year?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Funny people are dishing Scheyer, he has only been coach for 2 seasons and got them to the sweet 16, not much of a litmus test yet. I think long term he will be fine.
People aren't going to give him credit for making it to the second weekend by beating a 13 and a 12. In fairness he did make the Elite 8, but did it by beating a Houston team that was down to about 5 players from their real rotation 10 minutes into that game, and they still barely beat them. Then they lost to an 11 seed.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Duke has the top recruiting class coming in, headlined with national POY Cooper Flagg.
My question is; Will they be 24-25 champion in waiting? All of those 4 and 5 star recruits look impressive on paper, but an old sage once said that the game is not played on paper.
A number of current players are already leaving the program, current coach Schyer is NOT coach K. It remains to be seen whether or not they are going to be the toast of college basketball. Any thoughts on this?

There is still one basketball only so how well they meld together. The experts say they will be number 1, well they still play the game on the basketball court

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Duke will win in a crappy ACC but with no upperclassmen don't see them doing much in the tournament. Scheyer will in turn replace Calipari at Arkansas

Reaction Score
Considering how poor a coach they have, I'll be shocked if the team is bought in by the end of the season to do something special. Winning is hard.
But, but, but, they send out press releases every day touting the latest and greatest things Scheyer has done to make his players shoot better, rebound better, etc.
Every day he's doing great things that no other coach would think to do.
Then in another article they talk about how he'll now be pursuing a veteran point guard who entered the portal.
Makes you wonder who's next to go and what kind of vibes there'll be in the locker room when he brings all those 5 stars in and has to figure out how to keep them happy.

Reaction Score
Top portal guys> Burger boys

Probably early exit like Kentucky.
If there is one thing that UConn demonstrated - it is the importance of a system of playing the game and the power of a Team working together for common goals. It was the epitome of the “We” vs, “Me.”

Add some experience w/ 4/5 year seniors and you have the chance to go far in the tourney.

Cooper might end up being a bit of distraction as I predicted if he had joined us… Maybe other players start feeling like the “supporting cast“ and they stop thinking of themselves as team first.

I like the comparison to Kentucky earlier in this thread. Lots of highlight reels in the regular season but flame out in the Final 8 once again is my best prediction.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
If there is one thing that UConn demonstrated - it is the importance of a system of playing the game and the power of a Team working together for common goals. It was the epitome of the “We” vs, “Me.”

Add some experience w/ 4/5 year seniors and you have the chance to go far in the tourney.

Cooper might end up being a bit of distraction as I predicted if he had joined us… Maybe other players start feeling like the “supporting cast“ and they stop thinking of themselves as team first.

I like the comparison to Kentucky earlier in this thread. Lots of highlight reels in the regular season but flame out in the Final 8 once again is my best prediction.
Castle not being a distraction but being a team player was one of the most important reasons we repeated

Reaction Score
The difference between Duke and UCONN:

Parents: ‘We want to hear about NIL opportunities and what you’re going to do to help Johnny get ready for the next level.’

Scheyer: ‘Glad you asked. Both are priorities here at Duke. We’ve prepared a multimedia presentation for you, curated specifically to Johnny’s interests. Please follow me to the fourth floor auditorium and we’ll get started.’

Hurley: ‘Yeah, that’s not priority one, two, or three at UCONN. I don’t think your son fits…..maybe you should call John Scheyer at Duke?’

Reaction Score
Top portal guys> Burger boys

Probably early exit like Kentucky.
Never underestimate the Duke bias from officials in close games. It happens every time.

caw

Reaction Score
If power is stuck behind Flagg then he needs to enter the portal, cause He’s not gonna get quality PT until he’s a junior. I also don’t think Ngongba signed up to be the 3rd string center.

Agree but I just can't see him playing the three well defensively at all full time. I do think it's possible Flagg starts at the three, if you start Power. I however think they are more likely to start their new shiny SF/SG toys unless Power gets a lot stronger.

That said, I can't see Stewart as a four. He provides zero spacing, and neither do the fives, so either way they have three five star centers next year.

Report: Duke's Tyrese Proctor to Return for Junior Season, Forego 2024 NBA DraftReport: Duke's Tyrese Proctor to Return for Junior Season, Forego 2024 NBA Draft

This should cause at least one of the 5* freshmen wings to decommit. Impossible for both Evans and knueppel to start now. I’d take either.

Woah. Proctor may be there for four years at this rate. He's a slightly more athletic and taller Scheyer. I still have yet to see the hype. That is a very good thing for Duke though. If anything I think perhaps Darren Harris may decommit, he's the lowest rated recruit of the bunch. UConn was on him at one point and from the little I've seen he would do well here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As long as Scheyer is the coach, Dook will always start with a handicap.
Ex coaches picking their replacements can be shaky.
BUT please no KO bashing......................................

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Apparently none of you watched the championship high school game Monteverde vs Paul VI.

Cooper is the real deal. Cam like intensity and team first player. Our recruit Abraham did a decent job defending him but I watched that game and thought to myself how great next year would be if we got Flagg.

Reaction Score
Here’s the cool thing, I could care less right now.:D

But I will say he’s doing the same thing as Cal and how did that work out. Recruit over guys who you should be helping get better therefore they’re leaving? Not a good pattern by what I feel is not a very good coach.

Exactly.

You have to think, much like NFL coordinators, teams are dissecting how we build a roster, use the portal and run offense. And it ain’t like what Duke has set for next year.

Reaction Score
Apparently none of you watched the championship high school game Monteverde vs Paul VI.

Cooper is the real deal. Cam like intensity and team first player. Our recruit Abraham did a decent job defending him but I watched that game and thought to myself how great next year would be if we got Flagg.
Cooper will still spend a lot of time riding the pine at Duke. I hope he’s spending time in the weight room.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Cooper will still spend a lot of time riding the pine at Duke. I hope he’s spending time in the weight room.
Maybe. But this sounds like a sour grapes/rationalization post that someone is trying to convince themselves Cooper is not the real deal. He is. Every bit as much as Stephon.

I was hoping after winning number six and all of the discussion about the Kentucky fan base we could avoid this type of fandom.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But this sounds like a sour grapes/rationalization post that someone is trying to convince themselves Cooper is not the real deal. He is. Every bit as much as Stephon.

I was hoping after winning number six and all of the discussion about the Kentucky fan base we could avoid this type of fandom.
yeah i get the hate, but he's a great player....problem is the rest of the team and the coaching. Nobody coming back is all that scary, and they demonstrated the past 2 years they have no real offensive or defensive cohesion under scheyer. IF he can turn his player development story around, i'd expect duke to be better 2 years down the road with flagg long gone than they will be this year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
yeah i get the hate, but he's a great player....problem is the rest of the team and the coaching. Nobody coming back is all that scary, and they demonstrated the past 2 years they have no real offensive or defensive cohesion under scheyer. IF he can turn his player development story around, i'd expect duke to be better 2 years down the road with flagg long gone than they will be this year.
Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to see Duke crash and burn. I’d love to see the Duke brand drop precipitously. And it’s very possible that Scheyer will lead them down that path.

But to denigrate a top talent because he spurned us is juvenile. It’s the way we have been describing the Kentucky fan base and their arrogance and behavior when Hurley said no. And in less than one day some fans need to write the equivalent dumb shyste!

It would be nice if just for a little while we could contrast ourselves from other fan bases and be the equivalent of our team - better than others.

Reaction Score
But, but, but, they send out press releases every day touting the latest and greatest things Scheyer has done to make his players shoot better, rebound better, etc.
Every day he's doing great things that no other coach would think to do.
Then in another article they talk about how he'll now be pursuing a veteran point guard who entered the portal.
Makes you wonder who's next to go and what kind of vibes there'll be in the locker room when he brings all those 5 stars in and has to figure out how to keep them happy.
They'll always have their brotherhood, but it sounds more like foster care.

Reaction Score

Stephon had Dan Hurley as his coach, Cooper has Scheyer.

Reaction Score
Cooper Flagg is the real deal he’s not riding any pine anywhere. And there’s plenty of hugs in Durham if things aren’t going well.

Reaction Score
As long as Proctor is a featured guard, they’re going nowhere. Might be the most overhyped player in America. They’ll be top 15 on talent alone. I like Foster and Flagg will be an absolute stud. My guess is Elite 8 is their ceiling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom