OT: Guitar lessons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Guitar lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can't play the guitar which would probably hinder my ability to teach someone else to play it.

However, I can berate your efforts to such a degree that you'll want to improve just to make me stop talking to you.

And really, it doesn't matter how you learn, it's just that you learn.

So, guitar lessons, $185 an hour. Call me

Reaction Score
1 really nice telecaster knockoff I got as a kid, Highway 1 Strat, 1 PRS SE custom semi Hollow, 1 Ibanez acoustic, 1 mediera guild Acoustic, and my Highly recommended Seagull Black Entourage, best sounding 500.00 range solid top I have ever played. No Taylor....yet

Reaction Score
I've been playing guitar for 45 years. I'd be happy to teach Deepster everything I do wrong (self taught). My last gig was in 1982 in NYC. Too loud, blew a speaker.

I have an all-original '75 Strat, blackie w/ maple fretboard. I play it every day, it is sweet. My rig is a '68 Fender twin reverb powering a Marshall 4 x 12, lots of pedals. Just for the yin-yang thing I also have a 2006 Gibson Explorer.

If the Boneyard ever has a jam, I'm there.

Reaction Score
72 thinline telecaster I got passed down and a fa-100 acoustic right now being that I move a lot just an old crate amp

Reaction Score
Deep, I originally thought you were buying lessons for someone other than yourself, and that is why I didn't comment on your shopping for a teacher on price primarily. Certainly we all have economic realities to deal with, but consider a few things please. I am speaking as a self-taught (mostly) player of almost 50 years. I am NOW shopping for a teacher myself. I am tired of short-changing myself and realize it has taken me decades to become mediocre on my own. Like everyone has told you, everything you need to know is on the internet! But that's true whatever your interests are. What is hard to find on the internet and the thing you need most from a teacher, IMHO, is inspiration. This is why the best players aren't always good teachers and why often the best teachers are rather ordinary players. Being a good teacher is more about personality than chops or even knowledge. You want someone who will make you want to practice. That sounds easy but it is not! A really good teacher should inspire you to play enough that they will soon become unneeded, because like everyone has been saying, all the knowledge is available to the motivated on the internet. In hoop terms, you are looking for a KO type coach, who makes you WANT to work. My personal plan is to take single lessons from several different teachers and then choose, unless, and this is what I hope for, I just "click" with someone to the point I know its right. I will take price and distance into account, I am retired and pretty poor, but price may just determine frequency of lessons for me. I don't know if my ramblings are of any use but you hit a subject I feel personally, you can tell. Best of luck whichever way you go and welcome to the fraternity of guitar players, there are only about a zillion of us out there! And I'm all for the Boneyard Jam, but it would have to be on a visit back there, which next will be the last couple of weeks in March! I may have to borrow a guitar though, tough travelling with them these days!

Reaction Score
Sounds like our band has 50 guitar players and Aussie Cuz playing the methane fleuglehorn.

Reaction Score
Id rather learn as much as I can online for like 15 bucks a month and then know what I need to ask or work on with a teacher than pay him 20 bucks a half hour to learn how to use a guitar tuner

Reaction Score
I've been playing for 20+ years and have taught in the past. I have had students ranging from 4 to 60 and there never is a "too late to start" although it seemed that the older the person, the more stubborn and slow the progress. As has been said the tuner is your friend as is a metronome.

As far as guits that I own, my 1A and 1B are two handmade one's by Terry McInturff and Gene Baker. I also own an early 90s Les Paul, a parts strat I put together, and several crappy acoustics.

Reaction Score
Ive played for many years for pleasure and in bands,I reccomend jamplay.com ,its a great place to learn and many different styles and instructors to choose from the cost is really inexpensive as well,something like 50 bucks for 3 months unlimited visits.

Great reply Chill, I checked this out myself and will give it a test run. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck at any level.....

Reaction Score
I wonder if we have all the parts to a boneyard band?
I know Cuz plays a wind instrument :eek:

We could be under studies for Dr Mills and the UCMB, except guitars suck in the snow and rain........Having said that if they give us a behind the glass venue/stage in the 3rd floor club room. We be jamm'n.........

Reaction Score
I can't play the guitar which would probably hinder my ability to teach someone else to play it.

However, I can berate your efforts to such a degree that you'll want to improve just to make me stop talking to you.

And really, it doesn't matter how you learn, it's just that you learn.

So, guitar lessons, $185 an hour. Call me

This Deep......think you'll learn a lot faster if you know "one off note or string" and you'll get punched in the throat!! That's a threatening yet effective teaching style:cool:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
"Conversate" is not a word.
Neither is Floo ( as in Orange Floo) but that never stopped this lovable conglomeration of rapscallions.

Hammy put the 'yard band together. I'll drum it, I am so over guitar :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I taught myself guitar using a Windows program called Tabit. Hugeeee library of free tabs (once you buy the program) and a pretty active community. I spent $15 for this program about 12 years ago and it was the best $15 I've ever spent. Highly recommended.

edit: You probably don't know what tablature is. It's basically like sheet music except much easier to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom