OT: Guitar lessons | The Boneyard

OT: Guitar lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone have any good contacts for beginner guitar lessons? Would have to be a weeknight and be close to the West Hartford area. PM if you want to keep the names off the board.

p.s. - I already checked out the music store on Lasalle and they're pretty expensive.

Reaction Score
Deep - I would like to discuss this privately with you but I'm embarassed to admit I can't figure out how to do that! Maybe if you sent me a message I could figure out how to reply to that?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Go up to the "Inbox" in the upper right corner and click on "Start a New Conversation"-- we don't PM, we conversate.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I understand that we have an awesome guitarist on The Boneyard who has been known to play some Grateful Dead tunes here and there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Thats very kind db2u, dont know how accurate, :) but nice nonetheless. Deep I can give a couple numbers up your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Pick up a 'how to play (blues) guitar' book at a music store. Worked for EVH.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Semi-related... I don't play much but I recently picked up Rocksmith, which is sort of like Guitar Hero except you use a real guitar. You have to use a special cable, one end is a 1/4" plug that goes into your electric or electric/acoustic guitar, the other end is USB that plugs in your computer or XBox. It's got a bit of a lag problem but it's still fun for beginners / intermediate players, though it is definitely harder than guitar hero to pick up. You can practice sections at slower speeds, or at lower difficulty level (fewer notes) and gradually learn the songs this way. My guess is it's still better to have lessons with a teacher but this is kind of a cool way to supplement that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone have any good contacts for beginner guitar lessons? Would have to be a weeknight and be close to the West Hartford area. PM if you want to keep the names off the board.

p.s. - I already checked out the music store on Lasalle and they're pretty expensive.
I'm sure that you will find a 'great pick.'

Reaction Score
Ive played for many years for pleasure and in bands,I reccomend jamplay.com ,its a great place to learn and many different styles and instructors to choose from the cost is really inexpensive as well,something like 50 bucks for 3 months unlimited visits.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would welcome a follow-up in the future if you are so inclined, Deepster.

I just started reading this book called Guitar Zero, it's supposed to explore whether someone can become musical later in life.

Reaction Score
One last tip,dont skimp on a digital tuner,it makes life easier for a beginner ,same with a capo.get one that works with your style guitar and strings

Reaction Score
I don't know if Deep River is too far away for you but Frank Natter is very good.

Reaction Score
You forgot the "then play 12-hours a day for years" part.

After you get the book, you gotta visit the woodshed and do some choppin'. How else does it happen? Lessons only go so far as well.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I would welcome a follow-up in the future if you are so inclined, Deepster.

I just started reading this book called Guitar Zero, it's supposed to explore whether someone can become musical later in life.

2 of my students are over 40 ( one over 50) and are beginners. You can do it for sure. But like anything else, it is what you put into it. Also, even at a later age I notice some people are just more predisposed toward picking it up faster. Just like math is easier to pick up for some. ( by the way, this may sound crazy but I feel there is a correlation between being a math natural and the way one "sees" the guitar.... Seriously I have noticed it.) only once in 25 years of teaching have I ever had a student who even after a year of dedicated daily work just couldn't progress. I felt terrible for the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score

Many teachers that do it for a living have to do just that. Usually $25 a half hour and up. The half hour because as you have stated it adds up and also, that is all a student is going to absorb and be able to come back next week and have it some what down.
I could say nobody works for nothing but I would be wrong. Just as you have reached out here music is no different that any other hobby where if you get with the right people you can learn a lot for free.

By this I mean get (not sure of your age) go to open mike nights. These are people of all ages just want to play and absorb knowledge from others better than them and pass it on to those that are learning. Free teachers all!

Get a cheap guitar and as someone said above a tuner. It took me forever to be able to tune a guitar with out one because everyones ear is different. Get it use it and that is your first cheap lesson. Find out what you have for ears. My own suggestion is an acoustic as it is the most versitile and not needing ampflication but could be added later.

Why a cheap guitar? Because as a rookie you are going to break strings and scratch the hell out of it. There are so many things availble on line that make learning a lot more easy than in years past and less expensive. Check out the watch & learn series... I am not here to pormote anything or one but there are a lot of publications available for what I call dirt. This giving someone weeks of lessons for less than a half hours cost.

If you get a teacher and can afford it, sometimes they will go bi-weekly which helps. If they teach you to read music after that you can teach yourself! Start easy! The series I mentiond above is cool. Play some blue grass like Gerry Garcia, it will evolve, it is mostly three cords and we have events in Ct where you can walk in and jam. This is where you start to really learn and get the group vibe....A lot out there not hard to find , you just need to reach as you have done....Good luck and lets jam some day!
Rock on........

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Many teachers that do it for a living have to do just that. Usually $25 a half hour and up. The half hour because as you have stated it adds up and also, that is all a student is going to absorb and be able to come back next week and have it some what down.
I could say nobody works for nothing but I would be wrong. Just as you have reached out here music is no different that any other hobby where if you get with the right people you can learn a lot for free.

By this I mean get (not sure of your age) go to open mike nights. These are people of all ages just want to play and absorb knowledge from others better than them and pass it on to those that are learning. Free teachers all!

Get a cheap guitar and as someone said above a tuner. It took me forever to be able to tune a guitar with out one because everyones ear is different. Get it use it and that is your first cheap lesson. Find out what you have for ears. My own suggestion is an acoustic as it is the most versitile and not needing ampflication but could be added later.

Why a cheap guitar? Because as a rookie you are going to break strings and scratch the hell out of it. There are so many things availble on line that make learning a lot more easy than in years past and less expensive. Check out the watch & learn series... I am not here to pormote anything or one but there are a lot of publications available for what I call dirt. This giving someone weeks of lessons for less than a half hours cost.

If you get a teacher and can afford it, sometimes they will go bi-weekly which helps. If they teach you to read music after that you can teach yourself! Start easy! The series I mentiond above is cool. Play some blue grass like Gerry Garcia, it will evolve, it is mostly three cords and we have events in Ct where you can walk in and jam. This is where you start to really learn and get the group vibe....A lot out there not hard to find , you just need to reach as you have done....Good luck and lets jam some day!
Rock on........

Like Deep, I too have recently picked up a guitar - have taken lessons on and off (mostly on) for a year - picking up a few things - but looking for new challenges - how can I find "open Mike nights" - I also am looking for a practice partner to get together and learn / teach with.
Live in Enfield so the area from Springfield to Windsor works for me...
Any one?

Reaction Score
Guys I have 3 sales guys who all play a little, go to open mic nights and stuff and always looking for people to jam with. All work for the same company and they used to own Ovation so only Ovation or Fenders allowed .....LOL.......

I'll ask around.......

Reaction Score
Like Deep, I too have recently picked up a guitar - have taken lessons on and off (mostly on) for a year - picking up a few things - but looking for new challenges - how can I find "open Mike nights" - I also am looking for a practice partner to get together and learn / teach with.
Live in Enfield so the area from Springfield to Windsor works for me...
Any one?

Facebook group "Open Mics in CT"
I've been doing open mics for a couple of years now. It will accelerate your skill level MUCH more than you would think. A little scary at first but jump in. Most musucians are very very supportive at these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom