OT: Fifty years ago, two Hall of Famers. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fifty years ago, two Hall of Famers. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Marichal was with the Giants.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Monte, my post on Friday:

Good catch. Thanks and my apology. My error, but not about the home run.

It was Willie! My error was mistakenly stating that Marichal was pitching for the Dodgers -- he was with the SF Giants and the game was played in Candlestick Park.

Juan won 25 games that season, Spahn 23. Among the sluggers in that epic game were Mays, McCovey, Aaron, and Cepeda.

And exactly 20 years earlier -- July 2, 1945 -- Carl Hubbell pitched an 18 inning shutout and won, 1-0.

Monte, your post today:

Beyond category indeed!
Marichal was with the Giants.

Let's move on, ok?:)

Reaction Score
I think some of it is overuse at a young age, but it is also that the arms are not taught endurance - lots of strengthening not much endurance. I think Japanese pitchers are much more used to use and part of their issue in the US is getting accustomed to the different system. And more kids throwing curves and other 'strange motion' pitches at a young age is also thought to be difficult for proper development by over stressing tendons and joints.
Japanese pitchers pitch once a week instead of every 5th day. Reportedly they have very few UCL issues (Tommy John). Then, when they come over here, they do get UCL problems like everyone else here (ref Tanaka)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom