OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
They represent 3 recent Cuse players. ( Christmas , McCullough and Richardson) Someone hand me a tissue, I just made a mess

isaac.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Based on the precedent set by the NCAA in the Cam Newton case, as long as the player themselves didn't take the money, they should be good. If all the money was accepted by a parent or representative, and the player "didn't know", then the player is eligible in the eyes of the NCAA. That sounds like I am being sarcastic and ridiculous, but I am not. That is actually the precedent set by the Cam Newton and Auburn fiasco.

I thought the problem with the Cam Newton case was that the NCAA couldn't prove that Auburn had paid anyone in Newton's circle. The FBI can prove that.

Edit: The NCAA doesn't have subpoena power, so unless someone confesses or gets caught in a lie, they have limited investigatory capabilities. Not a problem for the FBI.

Reaction Score
“I don’t know anything about that,” Bowen’s mother, Carrie Malecke, said when contacted Tuesday by the Courier-Journal. “I don’t know anything about that. I’m not aware of anything like that. Not me. I had no idea.”

Bowen's father, Brian Bowen Sr., could not be reached for comment.

This will be the response of most if not all families.

Reaction Score
“I don’t know anything about that,” Bowen’s mother, Carrie Malecke, said when contacted Tuesday by the Courier-Journal. “I don’t know anything about that. I’m not aware of anything like that. Not me. I had no idea.”

Bowen's father, Brian Bowen Sr., could not be reached for comment.

This will be the response of most if not all families.

At some point a family member will go postal. Once a one and done is ruled ineligible, and the FBI has a money trail (and maybe tapped conversations) there's no reason for them to play nice. They're going to sing publicly and privately. We're going to hear, "Yeah, we got $100k! So damn what! How much is the school making? How much is coach making? How much is the sneaker company making? It's a hell of a lot more than $100k! And the NBA tells my kid that he can't make a living for a year so he has to be a slave to a bunch of leaches! We took the money from [Fill in the School], but turned it down from [Name a crap load of other schools]. By the way, we also took it from [Name a school that got the original commitment] and they were pissed when we bailed after getting more!"

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
At some point a family member will go postal. Once a one and done is ruled ineligible, and the FBI has a money trail (and maybe tapped conversations) there's no reason for them to play nice. They're going to sing publicly and privately. We're going to hear, "Yeah, we got $100k! So damn what! How much is the school making? How much is coach making? How much is the sneaker company making? It's a hell of a lot more than $100k! And the NBA tells my kid that he can't make a living for a year so he has to be a slave to a bunch of leaches! We took the money from [Fill in the School], but turned it down from [Name a crap load of other schools]. By the way, we also took it from [Name a school that got the original commitment] and they were pissed when we bailed after getting more!"

Dont forget the tell all book.

Reaction Score
I listened to an interview of DanWetzel on the ride home and he sounded irritated that the FBI got involved. I wonder if he heard bad news from his buddy?

Dan Wetzel , what an idiot. I guess he has no clue what laws were broken.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

They would be stupid if they did that. Basically a confession for the IRS. I am pretty sure they didn't report those funds on their tax return.

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein
Rick Pitino has released a statement, per his attorney.

DKr14xVVAAAORj_.jpg
This is laughable. There's no way he had no idea this was happening under his nose. I agree with another poster in this thread, and with or without the existing probation, even if he had no clue he should still be fired/resigned for lack of control/oversight with his own program.

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein
Rick Pitino has released a statement, per his attorney.

DKr14xVVAAAORj_.jpg

For a guy with the power that Pitino has, I am absolutely amazed that he never seems to have any idea of what ANY of his assistants are doing.

Doing his best imitation of Chevy Chase in Fletch - "THANK GOD, the FBI..."

"Save me from these horrible, mean, selfish people (his assistants) who keep going behind my back to sully my good name and the reputation of this fine, upstanding institution for higher learning." This guy is absolutely the biggest piece of s&!$ going.

Yes Rick, it is true... Bruce Bowen just "fell into your lap"... and according to you, it did not cost you a dime!... Except that it did... $100,000 worth. Oh, but of course, you knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about that part.

What a complete and utter buffoon... a shameless, sick, ego-maniacal, take-no-responsibility-for-anything loser!!!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members