OT Entertainers that Should Just Retire | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT Entertainers that Should Just Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Even as we post our admiration - or, in some cases, disdain - for aging performers, I cannot help but think of the many legendary artists who were taken offstage early, often tragically. To name but a few: Buddy Holly ("The day that music died"), Jimi Hendrix ("Are You Experienced?"), Janis Joplin ("A Piece of My Heart"). . . . :(
Stevie Ray, Gram Parsons, Richie Valens, Jim Morrison, Sid Vicious. (Only kidding about Sid; he actually overstayed his welcome.):cool:

Reaction Score
My cousin keeps talking me into going to see fogie bands, even after I swear, "never again." Some have been really good though, particularly Eric Clapton (still the real deal), Beach Boys (enhanced by a hired ~12-man band in the background, but sounded just like their records in the '60s), and McCartney (mostly a Beatles tribute, and enhanced by a large band, but really good).

One I didn't see cuz I had no interest was Glen Campbell. Cousin video'd some of it on his phone. Glen had to read the lyrics off a teleporter because he couldn't remember the words to his classic songs due to Alzheimer's - basically doing karaoke on songs he wrote himself. Very sad, almost exploitative maybe.

I love Glen's music the words told a story. Witchita Lineman, Gentle on My Mind, Rhinestone Cowboy, etc. I watched the show and yes it was sad, yes he had to read the words, but he could still play the guitar.

Reaction Score
I love Glen's music the words told a story. Witchita Lineman, Gentle on My Mind, Rhinestone Cowboy, etc. I watched the show and yes it was sad, yes he had to read the words, but he could still play the guitar.
Agree - he still had it on the guitar

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Elton John is one of my favorite singers of all time, but he def needs to hang it up..

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Billy Ocean sounds nearly the same as he did in the 80's. I would def recommend one of his concerts

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band, all mid 60's. Saw them 2 yrs ago and they are still going strong with 3 hr shows. Maybe not so many back to back dates like in 1974 on the Born to Run tour. Worth every penny, never disappoints !!!!!!!
It's the 40th anniversary of Born to Run, an iconic album.

Reaction Score
I have only seen him on VH-1 Classic but Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, Queen) still has a great voice after 40+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom