OT Entertainers that Should Just Retire | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Entertainers that Should Just Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, I think Performers should watch a tape of their performances today and if they are bad/mediocre say to themselves, I have more pride then to continue to perform for money/accolades. With some performers its the song that brings back the memories, not how the entertainer's performance is today. At some point in an entertainers life, they lose the quality of their voice/abilities and they IMHO should recognize it. As the saying goes, Hang up the Shoes.

Betty White's roles are tailored to her age, so actors/actresses can/should have longer longevity if they have talent. Now if Betty White was attempting to do physical comedy it wouldn't work because of her age.

Just my personal opinion and my pocket book does my talking as I won't spend the money to go to a concert just because a Group/Singer was one of my favorites when I was a teenager/in my 20's unless the talent is still there in my opinion. I'll watch them on TV for a while, but at some point if the talents gone, I'll find something else to watch. If I want to watch Neil Diamond Stones etc, I'll peruse YouTube or other channels and watch the Singers in their Hey Day, not what they do today.

You must be bored in the off season, created a thread and answered your own question twice. :confused: Performers of any style are artists and anyone with any understanding of art would get it. Many lived on peanuts until they made it and do not want to go back. Others are still selling out big venues and as long as the seats are filled they have no reason to retire. As long as there is a demand for anyone they will sell tickets, you are just not one to be part of that crowd.
No spitting match here Wbbfan1 but a difference of opinion as you are looking at what is of value to yourself as compared to what others might find worth the dollar. If you come across any of those annoying Stones tickets please PM me, I will take them off your hands...:D

Reaction Score
Vladimir Horowitz continued to perform until his death at 86 even though by his own admission he was no longer the pianist he was in his prime. Audiences flocked to see him because he was a legend (widely considered to be one of the greatest pianists of all time). When he was asked what his plans were for the future when he 84 or 85 he said that he planned to concertize on his 90ith birthday. He didn't live that long but felt, like so many other performers have, that it would be hard to go on if he had to admit that his career was behind him.

I think that it is painful to see the great performers of my generation (from the Beatles on) struggle to imitate who they once were, but as long as they feel that they have to perform most of us will want to wander with them into the past.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
If, in 1970, someone had offered 10,000 to one odds on Keith Richards being alive in 2015 there would have been no takers.
:rolleyes:

He actually died in 1985.

Reaction Score
Saw Blondie on a morning show a few weeks back, I guess going on tour again. A grandma acting like a teenager didn't cut it...:rolleyes:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm going to see the Beach Boys in New Haven this week. Can't wait!
I saw them in college in 1975. They were becoming popular again after the Woodstock era made them uncool. It was a great show. They brought down the house.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm going to see the Beach Boys in New Haven this week. Can't wait!

Let me know how this one goes. I'll see them (maybe) when they are in Effingham next month.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know of some bands still touring that hire extra musicians who are the ones you actually hear because the mikes on drums/pick-ups on the guitars of the actual band members are turned way down/off. Not all of the old band members are fully functional any more!
With actors and vocalists and classical musicians there can be greater depth added to the performance that only comes with age and experience - not something typically associated with rock and roll, but ...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have seen all of Neil Diamond's tours since around 1987 (when I got married). He actually still puts on a good show and - because of the nature of his songs - hasn't lost it. Much, much better in person than on You Tube of his current tour. That said, there was a time when he was probably in his early 60s that he wasn't so good - we went to a concert where his voice was just not there for the first 1/2 or more of the show. Very disappointed.

Barry Manilow would be my candidate for hanging it up. Which he is mostly doing. He has trouble walking and he doesn't really sound like himself and with all the apparent plastic surgery, doesn't look like himself, either.

Also, Art Garfunkle needs to hang it up. Attended a show of his in Tucson, he reads poetry and sings, he has "recovered" his voice he says; however only one song was really good and a couple were ok, the rest, not so good.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Vladimir Horowitz continued to perform until his death at 86 even though by his own admission he was no longer the pianist he was in his prime. Audiences flocked to see him because he was a legend (widely considered to be one of the greatest pianists of all time). When he was asked what his plans were for the future when he 84 or 85 he said that he planned to concertize on his 90ith birthday. He didn't live that long but felt, like so many other performers have, that it would be hard to go on if he had to admit that his career was behind him.

I think that it is painful to see the great performers of my generation (from the Beatles on) struggle to imitate who they once were, but as long as they feel that they have to perform most of us will want to wander with them into the past.
This guy lived to be 100 and performed until shortly before his death. Maybe he was on to something, and if people will pay to watch you do something you love, well, all the better. Nobody's forced to buy a ticket so it seems to me to be a win-win for everyone.

george-burns-quote-2.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nobody's forced to buy a ticket so it seems to me to be a win-win for everyone.

Maybe so, but the performer has a responsibility to deliver a respectable performance. I went to a BB King show about four years ago and I felt incredibly ripped off. He didn't even try to put on a performance. He just went out and rambled, never playing a complete song. He should have hung it up years before. OTOH, I thought the Stones were great when they came to The Rent a few years back.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, technically you are seeing two of the Beach Boys. If you ever get the chance Nan, go see Brian Wilson. He is actually very good for who he is and what he went through. And his band is fantastic.

Brian Wilson in concert is really the Beach Boys these days. The group using the name is just the Mike Love cover band. He's a dirt bag.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Brian Wilson in concert is really the Beach Boys these days. The group using the name is just the Mike Love cover band. He's a dirt bag.

Are you saying he had too much Fun Fun Fun?

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Concerts at induction ceremonies at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are recorded and available on DVD. Time and again, groups (e.g., The Band; Crosby, Stills & Nash) that are inducted no longer have a complete roster of the musicians who got them qualified for this honor. Sad.

Reaction Score
Don't understand;besides Money why some Singers/Musicians and in some cases Actors/Actresses just don't retire when they're past their performing career. Who in your opinion should retire that are still performing.

I have two that come to mind. Neil Diamond (74 years old) and the Rolling Stones. Both are past their prime and I don't understand why some are playing good dollars to see them in concert.

You are of course walking on a thin line. There is no doubt that putting away those sneakers for the last time isn't very easy- some do it too early, while others hang around for longer then we would like. However, if the talent is still there age or longevity should not be an issue. Why not (re)discover Neil Young one more time, if his (new)sangs and music are good? Also, Madison Avenue has been selling nostalgia for as long as I can remember; and while it emotes feelings of joy/depression , it is not a sickness-- at least in the ocassional doses. But, if you are talking about people who are bad, terrible at what they think they are doing then I'm with you. I know of some where the first event should have been their last. A lot of contemporary pop music fit that model- an endless journey into bad taste. But then again, there is a lot of money in bad taste and shamelessness. Think of the growing webcamera culture on the net where you can get your fill by watching Josephine/Joe busy her/himself around the apartment.

Reaction Score
Let me know how this one goes. I'll see them (maybe) when they are in Effingham next month.

Seriously, please do let us know.
Bought a Beach Boys live album when I was a kid and - after plying it ONE TIME - vowed I'd never go to see them live.
I LOVE their sound but, difficult to do in real life. MAYBE Crosby, Stills, Nash and whoever?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seriously, please do let us know.
Bought a Beach Boys live album when I was a kid and - after plying it ONE TIME - vowed I'd never go to see them live.
I LOVE their sound but, difficult to do in real life. MAYBE Crosby, Stills, Nash and whoever?

Like I mentioned before, I saw Brian Wilson last summer and the vocals were more than fine. They even played a suite of songs from "Smile" with Jeff Beck on guitar.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Like I mentioned before, I saw Brian Wilson last summer and the vocals were more than fine. They even played a suite of songs from "Smile" with Jeff Beck on guitar.

I have seen both the Pet Sounds and Smile concerts with Brian Wilson. He also does some Beach Boy songs.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
since our kids are now grown, my wife and I have 'rediscovered' our beloved music from when we grew up and have been going to some of these concerts.

Frankie Vallie, John Fogerty, Mickey Dolenz, the Happy Together tour and more.

It has been so much fun for us. Do they all have complete contingent of original bands. No.

Is the sound exactly the same? for the most part, probably not.

Then again, neither are my ears.

Yet, singing along with John Fogerty and others, along with a few thousand other fans of a fading away era has been a blast and we get to go back in time one more time,.

We are trying to see at least 2-3 a year.

Up next... Ringo.

Reaction Score
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band, all mid 60's. Saw them 2 yrs ago and they are still going strong with 3 hr shows. Maybe not so many back to back dates like in 1974 on the Born to Run tour. Worth every penny, never disappoints !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom