OT: Did Gronk quit on his team last night? ** | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Did Gronk quit on his team last night? **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Missed the game, was flying back home. First time seeing the play. That is so clearly pass interference it isn't even funny. I can't believe Pats fans think they were jobbed on that. Any time you make contact with the arm and extend, that is a push-off and an OPI. Notice how the defender has to brace with the force being applied to him by the push. Yeah, it was weak, but it absolutely met the criteria.

Not unlike a certain tuck rule call.

Only question is whether or not the ball had been released. But even if it wasn't, is that not at least illegal contact of some kind?

Reaction Score
Missed the game, was flying back home. First time seeing the play. That is so clearly pass interference it isn't even funny. I can't believe Pats fans think they were jobbed on that. Any time you make contact with the arm and extend, that is a push-off and an OPI. Notice how the defender has to brace with the force being applied to him by the push. Yeah, it was weak, but it absolutely met the criteria.

Only question is whether or not the ball had been released. But even if it wasn't, is that not at least illegal contact of some kind?

Gronk constantly commits pass interference. Here he is committing interference on 2 separate defenders.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Life long GMen fan here
That was such a weak call it even made me laugh
Met the criteria? Christ if they called everything that met the criteria the NFL would still be paying week #1
Again not Pats fan but many of the close calls went against the Pats last night
The Chung (sic) penalty at the end of regulation was another laugher- that happens 95% of the time while in the red zone
You say clearly then describe it as weak?????
I get it - you hate the Patriots
I love the fact that the Giants beat them when it counts the most but I watch games with an open mind

Reaction Score
Life long GMen fan here
That was such a weak call it even made me laugh
Met the criteria? Christ if they called everything that met the criteria the NFL would still be paying week #1
Again not Pats fan but many of the close calls went against the Pats last night
The Chung (sic) penalty at the end of regulation was another laugher- that happens 95% of the time while in the red zone
You say clearly then describe it as weak?????
I get it - you hate the Patriots
I love the fact that the Giants beat them when it counts the most but I watch games with an open mind
G-men fan here as well. You obviously don't get it. Ultimately I don't care at all.

It's weak because it wasn't overt; weak in the sense that it was definitely ticky-tack. But when an action clearly meets the criteria for a penalty, and the ref observes said action, the flag has to be thrown. Just like the whistle should be blown on the basketball court when the defender puts two hands on the ball handler. A foul is a foul. Whine about the rules, not about the calls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gronk constantly commits pass interference. Here he is committing interference on 2 separate defenders.

If I had time and gave a crap I could make you look foolish - the guy makes Michael Irvin look clean running routes. Please, give it a break. It is what it is but your sensitivity is over the top.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

The problem w this is that it is Bruton who makes contact w Gronk first, when he puts his arm up on his shoulder and grabbed him. Gronk keeps his arm bent to absorb contact and extends outward after that. It theoretically could have been called on the defenseman. Should have been a no call either way; it is most of the tome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting idea by the OP. I wonder if Gronkowski was inspired by Revis deciding he was "concussed" and had to leave the game while he was being embarrassed by DeAndre Hopkins last week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem w this is that it is Bruton who makes contact w Gronk first, when he puts his arm up on his shoulder and grabbed him. Gronk keeps his arm bent to absorb contact and extends outward after that. It theoretically could have been called on the defenseman. Should have been a no call either way; it is most of the tome.

The DB's are allowed that contact every play I mean Butler was killing OBJ with it so you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's ok for the DB but the push off by Gronk is obvious this was a good call. If they didn't call it though I'd be ok with it too seems to me the DB's get too much freedom on the "5 yd contact" line and the receivers are at the disadvantage there.

Reaction Score
If I had time and gave a crap I could make you look foolish - the guy makes Michael Irvin look clean running routes. Please, give it a break. It is what it is but your sensitivity is over the top.

Not sure what you are countering here. I agree he is committing OPI. Does the video show you something different?

Reaction Score
Interesting idea by the OP. I wonder if Gronkowski was inspired by Revis deciding he was "concussed" and had to leave the game while he was being embarrassed by DeAndre Hopkins last week.

Gronk had 113 yards when he got hurt.

Reaction Score
G-men fan here as well. You obviously don't get it. Ultimately I don't care at all.

It's weak because it wasn't overt; weak in the sense that it was definitely ticky-tack. But when an action clearly meets the criteria for a penalty, and the ref observes said action, the flag has to be thrown. Just like the whistle should be blown on the basketball court when the defender puts two hands on the ball handler. A foul is a foul. Whine about the rules, not about the calls.

Then the flag should be thrown every play

Reaction Score
Then the flag should be thrown every play

Well I've watched games with other Pats fans and they agree with you and expect it every play but never on them. LOL

Then there's reality.;)

Reaction Score
Well I've watched games with other Pats fans and they agree with you and expect it every play but never on them. LOL

Then there's reality.;)

All I ask is that the game be called fairly. Why are we even having this conversation though? Didn't you post something about UConn bball and Gonzaga and reffing this weekend?

The Gronk stuff needs to end though because the guy doesn't know when he is going to be grabbed with no call. His de facto route running is to slough off the defender whenever he is blocked or grabbed. Why? Because he is grabbed and blocked all the time. Just like in the .gif above.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
All I ask is that the game be called fairly. Why are we even having this conversation though? Didn't you post something about UConn bball and Gonzaga and reffing this weekend?

The Gronk stuff needs to end though because the guy doesn't know when he is going to be grabbed with no call. His de facto route running is to slough off the defender whenever he is blocked or grabbed. Why? Because he is grabbed and blocked all the time. Just like in the .gif above.
gronks.0.jpg

Reaction Score

At some point you need to look at both sides of this issue. He is huge and has manhandled DB's when he gets to his cut point for a while, they need to be able to defend themselves and have a chance, it's really that simple. The one video is ridiculous as it was interference but how many from his end go uncalled with a 190lb DB defenseless? I mean it works both ways here.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
Missed the game, was flying back home. First time seeing the play. That is so clearly pass interference it isn't even funny. I can't believe Pats fans think they were jobbed on that. Any time you make contact with the arm and extend, that is a push-off and an OPI. Notice how the defender has to brace with the force being applied to him by the push. Yeah, it was weak, but it absolutely met the criteria. Not unlike a certain tuck rule call. Only question is whether or not the ball had been released. But even if it wasn't, is that not at least illegal contact of some kind?

Hahah. At least you're looking at it objectively. You and Collinsworth. You think any other receiver gets flagged on that play you're out of your mind. Watching the highlight package for the kid who played well for Balt. last night and half of his routes look like car crashes compared to that. He didn't initiate the contact or extend but to you its "so clearly pass interference it isn't funny." Amazing.

Reaction Score
At some point you need to look at both sides of this issue. He is huge and has manhandled DB's when he gets to his cut point for a while, they need to be able to defend themselves and have a chance, it's really that simple. The one video is ridiculous as it was interference but how many from his end go uncalled with a 190lb DB defenseless? I mean it works both ways here.

The answer is not many. This is why he keeps getting rung up on OPI. It's constant.

Reaction Score
The answer is not many. This is why he keeps getting rung up on OPI. It's constant.

You're hilarious when it comes to the Pats. It's everyone else and never them no matter what? I think you're all funny now I know the house I went to for the GMen Pats last Super Bowl was just typical. They saw every hold on the Gianst offensive line and every play. They saw PI all the time on or DB's. I had to leave at the half, it was ridiculous and now I know why. it's the whining nation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The DB's are allowed that contact every play I mean Butler was killing OBJ with it so you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's ok for the DB but the push off by Gronk is obvious this was a good call. If they didn't call it though I'd be ok with it too seems to me the DB's get too much freedom on the "5 yd contact" line and the receivers are at the disadvantage there.

I agree with that, and contact is fine; but you can't grab. A smaller receiver would have been held there, but Gronk's strength makes it appear not so blatant. I have no problem with the contact thing; heck I think it works in favor of Gronk (minus the grab). I think those should be no calls, in the current structure.

Personally, I think the DBs are getting screwed with all the new rules. And should be allowed more leeway. Again, I like a no call format. All these penalties suck and make the games unwatchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom