OT - 60 Minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - 60 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
As to schools, even the best universities have yielded to economic necessity (or temptation) and are now using adjuncts to teach the majority of their classes. While adjuncts are, in my experience, in no way intrinsically inferior to tenured or tenure-track profs, far too many of whom regard teaching classes as a necessary but bothersome nuisance, and in many cases are better, the typical adjunct these days is teaching perforce an extremely heavy load, often at two or even three institutions, which keeps him/her exhausted. Many of them do just fine, even under the circumstances, but many get swamped. The moral is that the actual kind of education a student gets is likely to be about the same wherever it is acquired. (Except at you-know-where, eh Triad?)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As to schools, even the best universities have yielded to economic necessity (or temptation) and are now using adjuncts to teach the majority of their classes. While adjuncts are, in my experience, in no way intrinsically inferior to tenured or tenure-track profs, far too many of whom regard teaching classes as a necessary but bothersome nuisance, and in many cases are better, the typical adjunct these days is teaching perforce an extremely heavy load, often at two or even three institutions, which keeps him/her exhausted. Many of them do just fine, even under the circumstances, but many get swamped. The moral is that the actual kind of education a student gets is likely to be about the same wherever it is acquired. (Except at you-know-where, eh Triad?)
Not sure where this came from (if this week's show, waiting for the wife to come home from family affair to watch it). But I have 2 comments -

- while it depends on the adjunct (obviously) the teaching ability of research professors in general when I was in school varied greatly from "really good teacher" to "they let this person in a classroom?" to "what in the hey are they talking about".

- Two of my wife's specialty doctors are at the U of A, so you actually get to see a "fellow" - MD's that are training to specialize in the field, and you only have them for 1 or 2 years. The professor does check in at the end of the appointment, and it appears to work well. Conversely, you were treated by the professor at UPenn where my wife was previously seen before we moved.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
yup... before you could "add" 30-60 minutes to 60 Minutes, now you can only add 5 and must record the next show to get the rest of of 60 Minutes
What system? My DirecTV DVR lets me add 30 minutes to 3 hours to a show, we do it on Sunday like all the rest of you.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What system? My DirecTV DVR lets me add 30 minutes to 3 hours to a show, we do it on Sunday like all the rest of you.
Comcast's best DVR (let me check again to confirm, because I was able to do it in the past but it was for "sports")

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
He's also a lightweight.... Nowhere near MW in stature, evenhandedness, nor competence. The current show is a mere shadow of it's former greatness. I hope it returns to a show Hewitt would be as proud of as he was of the show he guided.

Boo
I respect your opinion... but as a younger fella who doesn't know all those "old timers" show me some love for not just being tuned in to Love & HipHop Atlanta and the Kardashians

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I respect your opinion... but as a younger fella who doesn't know all those "old timers" show me some love for not just being tuned in to Love & HipHop Atlanta and the Kardashians
So, you're saying that you were in knickers way back in 2004?

Boo

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
yup... only 5 minutes, must record the next show to get the rest of 60 Minutes

Isis
IRS Tax Fraud... a lot of money being lost due to social security/income tax scams

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
yup... only 5 minutes, must record the next show to get the rest of 60 Minutes

Isis
IRS Tax Fraud... a lot of money being lost due to social security/income tax scams
That stinks.

I just confirmed that my DirecTV still allow up to 3 hours additional - they do, for all programs.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That stinks.

I just confirmed that my DirecTV still allow up to 3 hours additional - they do, for all programs.
Sports allow hours (FIBA games set for this wknd)... but tv shows are only 5 minutes max.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you like 60 minutes you will love Frontline.
just recorded an episode of Frontline to get a feel of it... NFL concussions was the topic, great episode. thanks for the recommendation

Reaction Score
just recorded an episode of Frontline to get a feel of it... NFL concussions was the topic, great episode. thanks for the recommendation

Glad to hear.
Frontline is the best independent investigative journalism on earth.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
hjoerring said:
Interestingly I didn't read this as a pitch for 60min as a story about coaching psy/strategy and our obs w/ "good" schools. Whenever I read that a recruit has chosen school A over B because of the good academics I laugh. Beyond getting a very expensive degree for playing bb, I have a difficult time seeing how a Div 1 bb player will be getting the best educ one can get by going to sch A over B. If you are serious about bb go to a school where you will play and learn a lot, cut the crop about doing both- getting a top educ while playing. This has become true for the women as it were for the men. A school like Standord carries a lot of players because they were good players but, were not devoted to the endless travelling and club ball, and they pay their own keep at the Univ out of pocket and/or fellowships.

Did you go to North Carolina? ;) :p

Reaction Score
Been watching 40 years or more. Since the days when every business or political scam artist's worst nightmare was Mike Wallace and a camera crew bursting into their office.
Where are the NEW Mike Wallace's when we need them most. We got too many politicians who "mis spoke" when the media knows the truth.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
FBI Director... and wiretapping (good episode again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom