Oriakhi: Yay or Nay? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oriakhi: Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but the grudge some people hold against a kid guilty of nothing but immaturity is strange to me and indicative of someone who might take their fandom a little too seriously.

It reminds of the grudge UConn fans had against Aaron Hernandez for de-committing from the football team . That worked out okay.

Reaction Score
Alex has a UConn Championship ring (that he earned). I'm sure he didn't throw it away. Good or bad that ring alone grants him membership into the UConn brotherhood forever. Therefore good luck with the Suns Alex.

Reaction Score
Alex has a UConn Championship ring (that he earned). I'm sure he didn't throw it away. Good or bad that ring alone grants him membership into the UConn brotherhood forever. Therefore good luck with the Suns Alex.

You're such a nice guy!!...way too politically correct...show some emotion Kita :cool:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
AO's rap sheet in summary:
Won NC for Uconn.
Took some ill informed shots at JC.
Put his perceived best interest ahead of the program.
Ultimately left the program.

Time to let it go, some day there may be a reunion of the 2011 team. I hate to see that ruined by the ole bronx cheer.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Won NC for Uconn.

Time to let it go, some day there may be a reunion of the 2011 team. I hate to see that ruined by the ole bronx cheer.

And that's the good stuff.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
These two tweets pretty much sum it up.
AO tweet.jpg

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Alex is a good kid...in fact, my only problem with him is that he is a LeBron fan! He said some ridiculous things, which he probably learned from his Dad. He transferred because there was no post season & helped us win a NC. I don't see him doing great things in the NBA as a 57th pick, but Hasheem was picked second & what's he done? I hope he's gained some maturity & lets his game do the talking for him. Wishing him well, whatever his future holds...

Reaction Score
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but the grudge some people hold against a kid guilty of nothing but immaturity is strange to me and indicative of someone who might take their fandom a little too seriously.
Kind of like those who said that Aaron Hernandez lacked integrity for reneging on his oral committment?

Reaction Score
I take being a fan of the Huskies pretty seriously yeah, over 40 years.........and what I saw a kid do to a team a year after a NC was downright despicable........it's amazing to me that anyone would care about him being drafted or what he actually does or did once he finally left Storrs. And while some of you are so quick to jump on me for letting you know how I feel, there are many more who agree. But as you say everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you care what he does and where he goes that's fine, I'm okay with that. I just can't see why?? To me he threw his value of the NC out the window with his effortless, vindictive acts the following year.

Hopefully no one cares to create any more threads on him as we have so much more positive happening in Storrs since he left!!!:D

Regardless of your feelings towards Oriakhi, UConn has two national championships and not three if he hadn't walked through this program. That's pretty indisputable in my opinion. As for his character, well I don't really care for it either and don't particularly care one way or the other whether he makes it in the NBA or if it's some other kid. But I'll gladly sign up for another head case like Alex Oriakhi if it means he's going to dominate the national championship before the time bomb explodes. I'd be willing to wager that in your 40 years of being a fan, as you say, the 2011 title run had to rank right up there as one of the best moments, and Oriakhi played a pretty large part in that. So while I can't tell you how to think, it would seem to me that most reasonable men could appreciate what he contributed to the program while also condemning him for the manner in which he left.

Reaction Score
Kind of like those who said that Aaron Hernandez lacked integrity for reneging on his oral committment?

That's rich. I don't pretend to know much about the Hernandez recruitment or anything about his life, but I can assure you there are zero parallels between him and Oriakhi, a kid who exercised his right to transfer following an egregious tournament ban that he never signed up for.

Reaction Score
I take being a fan of the Huskies pretty seriously yeah, over 40 years.........and what I saw a kid do to a team a year after a NC was downright despicable........it's amazing to me that anyone would care about him being drafted or what he actually does or did once he finally left Storrs. And while some of you are so quick to jump on me for letting you know how I feel, there are many more who agree. But as you say everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you care what he does and where he goes that's fine, I'm okay with that. I just can't see why?? To me he threw his value of the NC out the window with his effortless, vindictive acts the following year.

Hopefully no one cares to create any more threads on him as we have so much more positive happening in Storrs since he left!!!:D

There's a difference between not caring whether he succeeds and actively rooting for him to fail. From your posts I gather that you've got kids who aren't that far from AO in age, so the fact that you're still a raving cking lunatic about his departure doesn't reflect that well on you.

Reaction Score
Alex gets a lot more hate on here than Marcus Williams, who did everything he could to sabotage two national championship contenders in three years. Thankfully, we won the first one without any back up guards.

Reaction Score
I don't think any of this matters, either way. People can think or remember how they choose.

He did help us get a NC, but you can put me in the camp that will smile when I read how the Suns cut him and he's either bopping around the D league or some other low level league.

Won NC for Uconn.

Reaction Score
That's rich. I don't pretend to know much about the Hernandez recruitment or anything about his life, but I can assure you there are zero parallels between him and Oriakhi, a kid who exercised his right to transfer following an egregious tournament ban that he never signed up for.
Sure, bail on your teammates when things get tough. Lack of integrity. His mouthing off about it were in poor taste too. If he turned pro that would be different. He'll last in the NBA about as long as a blunt does.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between not caring whether he succeeds and actively rooting for him to fail. From your posts I gather that you've got kids who aren't that far from AO in age, so the fact that you're still a raving cking lunatic about his departure doesn't reflect that well on you.

You're still worried about my posts how's that reflecting on you BigCrack?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Regardless of your feelings towards Oriakhi, UConn has two national championships and not three if he hadn't walked through this program. That's pretty indisputable in my opinion. As for his character, well I don't really care for it either and don't particularly care one way or the other whether he makes it in the NBA or if it's some other kid. But I'll gladly sign up for another head case like Alex Oriakhi if it means he's going to dominate the national championship before the time bomb explodes. I'd be willing to wager that in your 40 years of being a fan, as you say, the 2011 title run had to rank right up there as one of the best moments, and Oriakhi played a pretty large part in that. So while I can't tell you how to think, it would seem to me that most reasonable men could appreciate what he contributed to the program while also condemning him for the manner in which he left.

Man it's like I'm the only one who gets the finger? You all are harping on his piece of the puzzle during the 2010 NC.....NO DOUBT he had to be right? He played great in Maui and good in the post season.........he was a big piece, arguably the 3rd or 4th most important........but that is all erased with his behavior after being handed that to him by JC's care and Kemba's game.......there is no excuse to act the way he did his junior year and I choose not to forgive him for that. Is it really that tough guys? WTF..........I'm okay with you guys and your forgiveness but if you question mine I will answer, if I question yours I guess you should too.......I have no ill feelings towards the man in his life moving forward but I will never root for him to make a team or make a living off a game he left 3 years ago as far as I'm concerned!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I have to admit at one point I was rooting for Alex not to get drafted but I no longer wish the kid any ill will. I've softened up a bit after seeing how his former UConn teammates engage with him on Twitter, they seem to love the kid. Even Drummond who you'd think might have the coldest relationship with after taking his job seems to really care for Alex. That tells me either he wasn't as much of a cancer as we thought his last year or they're all culpable to an extent and didn't care that much that they were perhaps the most disappointing team in school history.

I'll always appreciate the contributions Alex made toward the 3rd NC and give him a pass more or less for that reason. I'm not sure though we can unequivocally say without him we don't win the title that year. Who's to say if we look at it from a WAR (Wins above replacement) perspective, with another good player in his place that we wouldn't have won it all and had a deep run 2 years ago? We'll never know the answers to that. I think Alex is immature and tries to be a clown too often, he's probably guilty of that a bit more than being a bad seed. If he does makes the Suns roster I'll be happy for him.

Reaction Score
I hope he makes the Suns.
In fact I will get season tickets just to boo him.
Seriously I hope the saga is over.
I don't suspect he will be invited to any future NC commemorations.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc