One last thought about Geno Auriemma turning 30... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One last thought about Geno Auriemma turning 30...

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
not my "in person" skin... but my "internet skin" is at times because people talk * behind screen names but in person they're soft as *! I'm the same person live or on the net.
I know, but I still wouldn't classify that as an "attack". That was "soft as *". ;)

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Geno has done nothing less than turn "UConn" into a metonymy. And that is not only rare, it is greatness. We are lucky to live in interesting women's bball times.

Boo

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Geno has done nothing less than turn "UConn" into a metonymy. And that is not only rare, it is greatness. We are lucky to live in interesting women's bball times.

Boo

OPB, thank you for teaching me a new word! Very cool. I like to learn new definitions/usages.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know, but I still wouldn't classify that as an "attack". That was "soft as *". ;)
figure of speech I guess... what do you call it, I'll use your word

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Boo

My Facebook post courtesy of you, Boo: Another new word! My world is expanding day by day! And note, these words are not new nonsense words that are finding their way into Websters such as 'twerk' (sheesh)

Metonymy: the substitution of the name of an attribute or adjunct for that of the thing meant, for example suit for business executive, or the track for horse racing.

or from Wikipedia: is a figure of speech in which a thing or concept is called not by its own name but rather by the name of something associated in meaning with that thing or concept. The words "metonymy" and "metonym" come from the Greek: μετωνυμία, metōnymía, "a change of name", from μετά, metá, "after, beyond" and -ωνυμία, -ōnymía, a suffix used to name figures of speech, from ὄνῠμα, ónyma or ὄνομα, ónoma, "name".

Gives us a little origin of the name as well.....cool, huh?

I love new words!

Reaction Score

Boo
Under Geno we have become the UCONN of WCBB teams

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
And some are "of the cloth". And some on here don't even wear cloth, but rather their fur. (those godless killing machines :cool:)
I prefer to think of it as filling our designated ecological niche .. and, some of us ARE "bears of the cloth" ..!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All they have to do is win. Always. Every game. What's the problem?

IMO expectations create performance. If you were born into Joe Kennedy's family the expectations were fairly high - President, Attorney General, Senator, etc. Other families have different expectations. At the opposite end of the spectrum are career criminal, good-for-nothing drug dealer, etc. These deep-seated external expectations have a tendency to get internalized, become deep-seated, and then have a high probability of being fulfilled. There are several UCONN alumni / potential coaches who have expectations for basically winning every game. It has become part of who they are. ?????
Sorry to take this off topic, but I just could not let this one stand unchallenged. Kennedy, Bush, etc in terms of 'dynastic' families have at least as much to do with wealth, connections, and opportunity as they do with 'expectations'. Expectation and nurture are very important, but I think environment and opportunity are equally important. Being educated in a good environment by good teachers with good resources and good nutrition leads to better outcomes than hunger, bad teachers with few resources, and bad neighborhoods.

Reaction Score
Sorry to take this off topic, but I just could not let this one stand unchallenged. Kennedy, Bush, etc in terms of 'dynastic' families have at least as much to do with wealth, connections, and opportunity as they do with 'expectations'. Expectation and nurture are very important, but I think environment and opportunity are equally important. Being educated in a good environment by good teachers with good resources and good nutrition leads to better outcomes than hunger, bad teachers with few resources, and bad neighborhoods.
Agree. I do think expectations - in a coaching environment as well as other situations - have a whole lot to do with success though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree. I do think expectations - in a coaching environment as well as other situations - have a whole lot to do with success though.
And I agree with you within the confines of a generally equal universe. That is one of the great things with Uconn WBB and with team USA - they both create expectations and the frame work to support the players in reaching those expectations - USA basketball is perhaps even more impressive because it goes across multiple teams and levels and with constantly changing coaching staffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom