One last thought about Geno Auriemma turning 30... | The Boneyard

One last thought about Geno Auriemma turning 30...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Again, Geno is 60 and will be 61 before this season concludes. However, 2014-15 is his 30th season as UConn's head WBB coach.

I just wanted to remind everyone of something. To recap, here were UConn's WBB team W-L records over its first 11 years of existence:

1974-45: 2-8
1975-76: 7-12
1976-77: 7-13
1977-78: 7-13
1978-79: 8-13
1979-80: 9-15
1980-81: 16-14
1981-82: 9-18
1982-83: 9-18
1983-84: 9-20
1984-85: 9-18

That's 11 seasons, 10 of which were of the losing variety. That's three HCs with no success. Oh yeah, and the Fieldhouse was a dump by all accounts.

This was the program Geno inherited in 1985.

Within two seasons, he coached the UConn WBB team to the program's second winning record.

Within 10 seasons, he coached UConn WBB to a national championship.

Within 20 seasons, He coached UConn WBB to a dynasty.

Within 30 seasons, he built a program so dominant that people sometimes question whether it's good for the sport.

I know it's a useless thread to suggest Geno's a great coach. I mean, I could start a thread arguing the sky is blue and grass is green as long as it resides under sufficient precipitation. Meanwhile, it's simply useless to debate whether UConn WBB is good or bad for the sport.

Rather, consider one last time how little Geno had to work with when he first took the head coaching gig. Compare that to a dynasty that's occasionally accused of being too great at what it is and does.

Now THAT, my friends, is juxtaposition.

And Geno, I say once again: Happy 30th, you old fart.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Again, Geno is 60 and will be 61 before this season concludes. However, 2014-15 is his 30th season as UConn's head WBB coach.

I just wanted to remind everyone of something. To recap, here were UConn's WBB team W-L records over its first 11 years of existence:

1974-45: 2-8
1975-76: 7-12
1976-77: 7-13
1977-78: 7-13
1978-79: 8-13
1979-80: 9-15
1980-81: 16-14
1981-82: 9-18
1982-83: 9-18
1983-84: 9-20
1984-85: 9-18

That's 11 seasons, 10 of which were of the losing variety. That's three HCs with no success. Oh yeah, and the Fieldhouse was a dump by all accounts.

This was the program Geno inherited in 1985.

Within two seasons, he coached the UConn WBB team to the program's second winning record.

Within 10 seasons, he coached UConn WBB to a national championship.

Within 20 seasons, He coached UConn WBB to a dynasty.

Within 30 seasons, he built a program so dominant that people sometimes question whether it's good for the sport.

I know it's a useless thread to suggest Geno's a great coach. I mean, I could start a thread arguing the sky is blue and grass is green as long as it resides under sufficient precipitation. Meanwhile, it's simply useless to debate whether UConn WBB is good or bad for the sport.

Rather, consider one last time how little Geno had to work with when he first took the head coaching gig. Compare that to a dynasty that's occasionally accused of being too great at what it is and does.

Now THAT, my friends, is juxtaposition.

And Geno, I say once again: Happy 30th, you old fart.

Rather than assign Geno the status of deity, I will second your post. I like it!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice OP - but I will note that he had two advantages when he came to Uconn that other coaches at other schools have not had:
1. A University that was willing to support WCBB - I know CD complains about things that first year or few years, but ... it has been a very good environment to grow a program.
2. A state that when the program had success jumped on board whole-heartedly.

What he and CD have built is truly magnificent - I am not trying to detract from that, nor deny that they started at the bottom - just pointing out that he was lucky in his choice as well.

Reaction Score
Yeah - i have said it many times before...... Geno and CD have set the bar so so so high that other coaches grouse about if it a fair fight going up against us...... half of the natl chmpnshps in the last 20 yrs..... no consecutive losses in 21 years...... winning percentage off the charts..... 5 out of 8 of the undefeated seasons in WCBB..... etc etc

When he hangs it up..... he will have his records out of reach of anyone for quite some time.... looking forward to seeing him perform his magic in Istanbul

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice OP - but I will note that he had two advantages when he came to Uconn that other coaches at other schools have not had:
1. A University that was willing to support WCBB - I know CD complains about things that first year or few years, but ... it has been a very good environment to grow a program.
2. A state that when the program had success jumped on board whole-heartedly.

What he and CD have built is truly magnificent - I am not trying to detract from that, nor deny that they started at the bottom - just pointing out that he was lucky in his choice as well.
Agreed, but as Gary Player famously said, "The more I practice, the luckier I get." :)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for whoever has to replace him because they will be in a no win situation.

Reaction Score
I feel sorry for whoever has to replace him because they will be in a no win situation.
All they have to do is win. Always. Every game. What's the problem?

IMO expectations create performance. If you were born into Joe Kennedy's family the expectations were fairly high - President, Attorney General, Senator, etc. Other families have different expectations. At the opposite end of the spectrum are career criminal, good-for-nothing drug dealer, etc. These deep-seated external expectations have a tendency to get internalized, become deep-seated, and then have a high probability of being fulfilled. There are several UCONN alumni / potential coaches who have expectations for basically winning every game. It has become part of who they are. ?????

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
All they have to do is win. Always. Every game. What's the problem?

IMO expectations create performance. If you were born into Joe Kennedy's family the expectations were fairly high - President, Attorney General, Senator, etc. Other families have different expectations. At the opposite end of the spectrum are career criminal, good-for-nothing drug dealer, etc. These deep-seated external expectations have a tendency to get internalized, become deep-seated, and then have a high probability of being fulfilled. There are several UCONN alumni / potential coaches who have expectations for basically winning every game. It has become part of who they are. ?????

I come from one of those families where near perfection is expected, so I definitely understand that. Some people are able to flourish with high expectations and some are smothered by it. In business, it is not always easy to find those who flourish. I'm sure the same is true in coaching.

Reaction Score
I come from one of those families where near perfection is expected, so I definitely understand that. Some people are able to flourish with high expectations and some are smothered by it. In business, it is not always easy to find those who flourish. I'm sure the same is true in coaching.
Maybe a good place to start could be those who flourished as players, and also displayed very high basketball IQ and leadership (the kind of leadership where they held their teammates accountable, but I also like the, "I will NOT let us lose!" mentality).

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They will inherit the best woman's basketball program of all time, with a built in template for success, a supportive university and a rabid fan base. I can think of worse positions to be it.

By the way, Kevin Ollie took the helm in an analogous situation and he seems to be just fine.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
They will inherit the best woman's basketball program of all time, with a built in template for success, a supportive university and a rabid fan base. I can think of worse positions to be it.

By the way, Kevin Ollie took the helm in an analogous situation and he seems to be just fine.

And yet, UCLA is still looking for a replacement for John Wooden...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
And yet, UCLA is still looking for a replacement for John Wooden...

They will never find one. They need to find someone who does things his own way instead of trying to find the impossible. Wooden dominated in an era without much parity. It also took him many years to build a big winner. I think he was at UCLA for close to 15 years before they made it to a Final Four.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you were born into Joe Kennedy's family the expectations were fairly high - President, Attorney General, Senator, etc.
Don't forget Drunkards, Liars, Thieves and Murderers. ;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Attack? :rolleyes:

Come on now, your skin isn't that thin.
not my "in person" skin... but my "internet skin" is at times because people talk * behind screen names but in person they're soft as *! I'm the same person live or on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom