One heck of a press conference. | The Boneyard

One heck of a press conference.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Think it was the shortest one by a winning coach. Seemed really upset about our lack of scoring. Also, who broke his arm?

Reaction Score
As usual Mora says the right things that step 1 is to recognize the problem but then he persists on letting it happen week after week after week. With Charlton what is he waiting for next week should be a springboard for next season.

Reaction Score
His act is honestly starting to wear thin. He is the head coach. HE alone is responsible for the football program - the coaches, the players . . . etc.
I didn’t hear him say he wasn’t responsible as the head coach.

He gave an honest assessment of the offense today. And I’m guessing he doesn’t think he made the right hire at OC. If so, it’s in him to fix it now.

Reaction Score

He gave an honest assessment of the offense today. And I’m guessing he doesn’t think he made the right hire at OC. If so, it’s in him to fix it now.
I think we might be saying similar things - Coach Mora hired Coach Charlton. Coach Mora parted ways with Coach Spanos and decided not to bring in a defensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
I think we might be saying similar things - Coach Mora hired Coach Charlton. Coach Mora parted ways with Coach Spanos and decided not to bring in a defensive coordinator.
Maybe, except I appreciate his honesty. The offense wasn’t good enough today.

Reaction Score
Maybe, except I appreciate his honesty. The offense wasn’t good enough today.
I love Coach Mora, but that press conference showed a complete lack of respect for the media. They’re just trying to do their jobs and he was completely dismissive. Honestly is one thing, but he has a big problem on his hands with Charlton and he hired him.

Reaction Score
I love Coach Mora, but that press conference showed a complete lack of respect for the media. They’re just trying to do their jobs and he was completely dismissive. Honestly is one thing, but he has a big problem on his hands with Charlton and he hired him.
Ehh I don’t think he was dismissive, plus all his press conferences have been short. He probably is frustrated about how much talent we have on our roster and can’t put up 50 points on a FCS team. Plus if media really wanted to do their job, they will ask questions like why didn’t our offense obliterate an FCS school. JMU manhandled us and played aggressive, but we can’t do the same.

Reaction Score
This press conference had strong vibes of "Playoffs? Are you kidding me???" Never seen him shoot barbs at the press like that trying to dissuade people from asking questions.

Reaction Score
Moras not wrong, it’s just a little surprising. If this was week 2 and he wanted to set the tone that we need to be better against the rest of the schedule that would be one thing. But most of his press conferences after games that I’ve heard have been praising effort and trying to be positive and keep the team together and this went against that.

Not really sure what to make of it

Reaction Score
Moras not wrong, it’s just a little surprising. If this was week 2 and he wanted to set the tone that we need to be better against the rest of the schedule that would be one thing. But most of his press conferences after games that I’ve heard have been praising effort and trying to be positive and keep the team together and this went against that.

Not really sure what to make of it
What I make of it is, he’s unhappy with the offense. There’s no way he hasn’t talked to the staff (Charlton) about play calling and cleaning up certain messes. I think what you saw in that press conference was what many on this board feel, frustration that nothing changes.

If Mora has told Charlton to cool it with all the crap plays and runs on 3rd and 7 and Charlton has ignored him, that will cause some attitude in press conferences.

Reaction Score
This was game 11 against a bad FCS team and the offense didn't run smoothly and dominate SHU. You can't blame practice time or the other team having better players so it was clear that the offensive schemes/play calling are not working. I have wondered how Mora and Charlton connected as there doesn't appear to be any past relationship and Charlton was a head coach, not an OC, when he was hired. Maybe somebody looked at Charlton and thought of Kirk Ferentz who was head coach at Maine for 3 years with not great results before he took some assistant jobs in the NFL and ultimately became Iowa's head coach.

Reaction Score
If Mora has told Charlton to cool it with all the crap plays and runs on 3rd and 7 and Charlton has ignored him, that will cause some attitude in press conferences.
If Mora wanted Charlton to stop with runs on 3rd down he would tell him during practice and games. And if a coach continuously ignored directives Mora should have fired him.

Reaction Score
O.K., a bit much here. This season has been very disappointing, and I’m not satisfied with the offensive scheme and play calling either. BUT — we had 24 points without any takeaways and special teams help in the first half, and the game was over when we went to the locker room for the break. The only negative thing to say about yesterday, as opposed to the season, is that we stopped playing offensively in the second half when the game was over.

That, my friends, isn’t in the top 10 of issues I have with this year’s team, given that how we play when we’re up 21 at the half has not been our problem over the past decade plus.

Let’s see if we can win in Amherst, and then there will be plenty of time to do the autopsy.

Reaction Score
O.K., a bit much here. This season has been very disappointing, and I’m not satisfied with the offensive scheme and play calling either. BUT — we had 24 points without any takeaways and special teams help in the first half, and the game was over when we went to the locker room for the break. The only negative thing to say about yesterday, as opposed to the season, is that we stopped playing offensively in the second half when the game was over.

That, my friends, isn’t in the top 10 of issues I have with this year’s team, given that how we play when we’re up 21 at the half has not been our problem over the past decade plus.

Let’s see if we can win in Amherst, and then there will be plenty of time to do the autopsy.
I agree with this, but Mora going scorched earth is completely unprofessional.

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but Mora going scorched earth is completely unprofessional.
I think he has little choice because there isn’t any phase of our game (except the D line on run defense) executing well. The position coaches are not getting it done.

Reaction Score

I think one thing JM has always made clear was that it's all on him (from previous pressers) and then what echoes more (probably due to lack of wins on the field) he'd say "we" have to do a better job.
With that said, this off-season should be real interesting... I expect a jump in our performance across the board in '24, during games.

Reaction Score
Would have preferred going into Amherst with a better offensive roll. Playing a half of football against a bottom 10 team in all of D1 when the season has been a disappointment doesn't bode well for a positive outcome next week.

Reaction Score
This was game 11 against a bad FCS team and the offense didn't run smoothly and dominate SHU. You can't blame practice time or the other team having better players so it was clear that the offensive schemes/play calling are not working. I have wondered how Mora and Charlton connected as there doesn't appear to be any past relationship and Charlton was a head coach, not an OC, when he was hired. Maybe somebody looked at Charlton and thought of Kirk Ferentz who was head coach at Maine for 3 years with not great results before he took some assistant jobs in the NFL and ultimately became Iowa's head coach.
David Benedict. Charlton probably was interested in the head coaching job or at least his agent was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom