Omar Calhoun is not the problem | The Boneyard

Omar Calhoun is not the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He hasn't played well but he is in no way responsible for our wins or loses.

The problem is Olander and Nolan. Brimah gets a pass because he is still learning the game. If any of the centers contributed as much as Omar we would be ecstatic.

Reaction Score
Our backcourt is one of the best in the nation, I'm disappointed that they couldn't pull out the win by getting 3-5 more points when needed. Sure it was a bad shooting night, but Boat/Bazz had to find a way to get 'those' points and they couldn't.

Reaction Score
Our backcourt is one of the best in the nation, I'm disappointed that they couldn't pull out the win by getting 3-5 more points when needed. Sure it was a bad shooting night, but Boat/Bazz had to find a way to get 'those' points and they couldn't.
Bazz is one of the best in the nation, but he's pulling substantially more weight on the offensive end than the other two. I hate to sound like a broken record, but neither Boat or Omar are performing well offensively in these nonconference matchups against power conference teams.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Omar must be feeling lingering affects from his surgery. I know people have pointed out his shooting percentages are in line with last season, but he just looks different out there.

Hopefully he can work this out during the conference season and get ready for March.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Calhoun had a horrible game. I don't mean to sound like a broken record but he is down right bad so far this year

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nolan and TO give us nothing either. At least brima gives us a shot blocking presence

Reaction Score

The problem is Olander and Nolan. Brimah gets a pass because he is still learning the game. If any of the centers contributed as much as Omar we would be ecstatic.
Really? Olander and Nolan? They played pretty much like they have been. No different. Can't blame them for the dribbling and passing mistakes, because they don't usually do either.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Omar is good he's in a bad funk and is trying to dribble and drive his way out of it

Reaction Score
He is not the problem, correct.. but he is part of the problem. I guess my thing is, if he's going to be stand-still jump shooter at least be good at it..

Reaction Score
Really? Olander and Nolan? They played pretty much like they have been. No different. Can't blame them for the dribbling and passing mistakes, because they don't usually do either.

I think that's the point. They're playing like they always have, not good enough. Our front court will continue to get eaten up and when you have a shooting night like last night from the guards it gets magnified.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Phil Conners, Omar's a problem -- he's not the problem.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Omar isn't a problem. He's just a bad fit right now. Bazz and boat handle the ball, drive, and shoot. DD slashes, Giffey hits the open three, and the 5 monster collects some garbage. What's his role? Where are his touches?

Right now he is a perimeter jump shooter who doesn't shoot that high a %. The lane is clogged and he doesn't have the handle like the other guards.

If he could run and hit on the old circle play, that might get him a few more shots, but I'm kind of at a loss as how to use him in the current offense. If he could rebound and play defense maybe we're not having this discussion. I'd like to see him and DD focus there until next year when Bazz is gone because like it or not he's going to be the alpha dog this season.

Reaction Score
Omar isn't a problem. He's just a bad fit right now. Bazz and boat handle the ball, drive, and shoot. DD slashes, Giffey hits the open three, and the 5 monster collects some garbage. What's his role? Where are his touches?

Right now he is a perimeter jump shooter who doesn't shoot that high a %. The lane is clogged and he doesn't have the handle like the other guards.

If he could run and hit on the old circle play, that might get him a few more shots, but I'm kind of at a loss as how to use him in the current offense. If he could rebound and play defense maybe we're not having this discussion. I'd like to see him and DD focus there until next year when Bazz is gone because like it or not he's going to be the alpha dog this season.

So, in this post, you state that he isn't a good shooter, doesn't have a good handle, doesn't play defense or rebound well, but he is not a problem? What value add does he bring?

Reaction Score

Olander has gone backwards. He was a 4/4 man last year. He is a 2/2 man this year. I'd settle for a return to last year.

Reaction Score
Olander and Nolan were not the problem in that loss specifically at all. The problem was we didnt make shots. We held them to 53 points and were only minus 2 in rebounding. Games happen when our guards don't make shots, not often, but they do.

Reaction Score
Olander and Nolan were not the problem in that loss specifically at all. The problem was we didnt make shots. We held them to 53 points and were only minus 2 in rebounding. Games happen when our guards don't make shots, not often, but they do.

Our complete lack of an inside game and the numerous missed bunnies surely had a MAJOR effect on the outcome. Our three centers combined for 2 points, both from the foul line. Any inside presence makes those shots behind the arc a little freer. It affects everything.

Reaction Score
Problem is two fold 1) lack of any inside game 2) our willingness to settle repeatedly for jump shots

1 is not likely going to fix itself this year we are who we are at the center position. Nolan is limited and TO is never going to be the player we all hoped he would be....just wish he could give us the frosh TO and not this version. He has regressed over his career unfortunately.

But our guards and wings can not be afraid to take the ball to the hole and draw contact. One stat that gets brought up from time to time and is telling is are we making more free throws than the other team attempts. The answer so far this year is a resounding no.

We are a heck of a shooting team but that can not be your only bullet to win games...need to be able to get to the line and get some bunnies at the stripe when shots are not falling. Hopefully KO drills this into them and they can work on this over the next couple months....it is a loss in December not the end of the world and clearly we have had much worse at this time of the year......;..

Reaction Score
in my opinion when boatright stops forcing the ball and starts playing within the teams system then we will be better. Since the games at Madison Square Garden this has been an issue.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:

No, I'm saying his skill set is duplicated by the players who are controlling the ball. He's the fourth option, which if you are an offensive minded player usually doesn't work so well. He's not fitting into what happening on the court, but I don't think it reflects on his talent as a player as much as the circumstances. He and DD need to figure how to better play off SN and DD.

Reaction Score
I think that's the point. They're playing like they always have, not good enough. Our front court will continue to get eaten up and when you have a shooting night like last night from the guards it gets magnified.
Good enough to be unbeaten until last night... What do you expect of them? My biggest disappointments have been DD and Boat. Each occasionally shows something positive, but gives something back way too quickly. I want Giffey and Kromah and even Tolksdorf and Facey to play more. At least they play team ball. Last night was the epitome of selfish basketball.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, you can blame TO and Nolan as well, but OC is equally as responsible; he needs to sit more.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Omar's game kind of reminds me of Rashad Anderson's right now. Except for the whole making the 3s part.

I'm sure he'll work his way out but he's been pretty bad.

Reaction Score
The title of this thread is ridiculous.

Omar Calhoun's play is a HUGE problem. Arguably the biggest.

We all knew what we had in the frontcourt. Not much. We didn't know that Calhoun was going to be laying wide open bricks from outside. Makes us even more one dimensional.

Reaction Score
The title of this thread is ridiculous.

Omar Calhoun's play is a HUGE problem. Arguably the biggest.

We all knew what we had in the frontcourt. Not much. We didn't know that Calhoun was going to be laying wide open bricks from outside. Makes us even more one dimensional.

Universally acknowledging that we have no low post presence to speak of - I'd go so far as to say we have a negative post presence - doesn't mean that it's not a problem. It remains the biggest problem.

Reaction Score

No he is not THE problem but he's a bigger one than our big men. His minutes has been negative mostly every game and averaging about 20 does hurt a lot. While also being disappointed in Phil and Tyler the expectations of impact are much less so I'm not sure it's a letdown or not........Omar has had trouble doing everything which is unexpected - can't shoot, pass, dribble and his D is eh..............I don't know about you but a kid who looked as good as he did last year, I was thinking 13-14 a game and shooting 40-45%.......they have gone to him for big shots and even set him up last night - nothing to speak of at all yet. Again, not at all on him only not close, especially last night, but if he doesn't improve soon I wouldn't take any minutes from Giffey and Kromah.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom