Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I disagree about Gray. She dribbles too much and is not the kind of assist maker a point guard needs to be, but in 3 years P.G. will be available. I was surprised Diggins' game did not show up.
Give Piath a chance to develop.

Reaction Score
They started talking about who will replace D and Sue. I don't see Gray as the point. She doesn't have the pure point guard intuitive control of the game although she did play very well in the event and may have the seniority bumping rights.

I really see Paige and Clark as the future there with Paige as the heir apparent. She just has that certain sense of the game the great ones have, the ability to see things in slow motion.

I also think that Wilson has shown herself to be one of the world's greatest players who will only improve and 3 years from now will be incredible, not to mention Stewie and Griner.

Will Paige be too young and too inexperienced in 3 years for international play? Was she last year for college basketball?
I agree with you here but she'll need to get quicker and much stronger and physical to play that international rugby/BB style. Her finesse game is great but she has to learn how to keep the bumping and hacking from affecting her control of the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Diggins-Smith has played professionally outside of the WNBA. Playing in Europe/Asia is a necessary training ground to get acclimated to international rules and refs and also learning your opponents. It is also great to learn to quickly adjust to new systems and coaches so the short practice time for the USNT is not as big a detriment.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
There's also a US boxer, Keyshawn Davis, fighting for gold at 1:15 a.m. ET. But he's facing a very tough opponent he's never beaten before.

Think our best chance to surpass China in gold medals is this Brazil v USA Women’s VBall final that’s currently on. USA won the first two sets, third under ways.. do or die set for Brazil.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Think our best chance to surpass China in gold medals is this Brazil v USA Women’s VBall final that’s currently on. USA won the first two sets, third under ways.. do or die set for Brazil.
From your lips to God's ears. The gold in WVB has been a LONG time coming. Would be our first. Momentum in VB can be notoriously fickle.

1628401234011.png

Edit to add:
There's another US boxer yet to fight in a gold medal bout, though he's also an underdog:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally agree. I know absolutely nothing about diving, but know what I just saw. The one event that immediately springs to mind is Secretariat's 24 length victory in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. Quan's performance was totally dominant, totally transcendent, totally mesmerizing,

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
From your lips to God's ears. The gold in WVB has been a LONG time coming. Would be our first. Momentum in VB can be notoriously fickle.

View attachment 68967

Edit to add:
There's another US boxer yet to fight in a gold medal bout, though he's also an underdog:

USA is one point away.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I know absolutely nothing about diving, but know what I just saw. The one event that immediately springs to mind is Secretariat's 24 length victory in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. Quan's performance was totally dominant, totally transcendent, totally mesmerizing,

Frankly, I couldn't tell prior to the medal round so I stopped watching. I saw the prelim round - the USA Diver had a more difficult dive - and she supposedly did terrific and her scores were about 7.8. The two Chinese Divers came - had an easier dive-- and they both got 9's and 10's. I shrugged my shoulders and said "Okay if you say-so."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I could see Chelsea as a SG, but not as a PG. She's a good shooter and passer, but loose with the ball.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but does anyone know if we will be able to watch replays of games? I wanted to see Gabby play vs. USA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was a good deal of griping from some quarters when a banged up DT was chosen for her 5th Olympic WBB team. The game against Japan is exactly why DT was on that team. Never, ever count the great ones out.

“Paris in 24?” Oui m’dame!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Griner and Wilson were unstoppable, Stewart was everywhere, and DT played an incredible all around game. The US brought the intensity from the get go.

Gray has proven she belongs and will likely be the starting PG if/when Bird hangs it up. I was surprised that Loyd was not a bigger presence for the team, they will need her big time in the future.

I do think that Plum and Gray from the 3x3 team could find rules on a future USA 5x5 team.
I agree that Gray has proven she belongs but she dribbles too much, is more of a point 2, and is not fast enough to be the point. I like Plum a lot at that position but I think Paige is the natural fit there and the likely choice.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have the full medal ceremony for Team USA or know where to find it?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
FWIW, Anderson is the daughter of current St. John’s coach Mike Anderson who has been a pretty successful MBB coach for a long time, with stops at UAB, Missouri, and Arkansas. He apprenticed as an assistant to “40 minutes of hell” Nolan Richardson.
Yvonne Anderson was a star at a local high school when her dad coached at UAB. Watched her play AAU ball at the same time my youngest daughter was playing, and she was quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom