Ollie, Geno, call Huskies "position-less" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie, Geno, call Huskies "position-less"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yup, we still need something to call them for us to remain intelligible in discussing them and about what, defensive floor space responsibilities, which may be different on offense, and to make matters worse UConn has no names on the jerseys and the players even change hair styles now and then. Really unfair to us fans. I wonder if it doesn't go back to when people mostly listened to basketball on the radio?
Ball bringer upper, Ball bringer uper shooter, ball catcher and shooter, ball rebounder, ball rebounder and enforcer now you know what speak of in discusssions. That should stop you from bawling.

Reaction Score
I have. I invite your attention to my recent posts citing a method of designating basketball positions that I spotted on sports pages of The Boston Globe: ball-handlers, wings, swings, and bigs.
What becomes confusing with that is" Everyone handles the ball. Bigs could be at almost every position, you have to know who is swing or just winging. Confusing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think position numbers do create a good shortcut for describing the positioning and roles played by players on specific plays both offensively and defensively, and as a general description of a players skill set or usage on a particular team. If rigidly applied they are not helpful, but ...

Does anybody thing calling Sylvia Fowles or Dolson a '5' doesn't describe her game fairly accurately or saying that Moriah and Sue are '1's, or Dupree is a '4'.

This year for Uconn:
Moriah = 1
Kia = 2
Butler = 5
Stewart = 4 and sometimes 3
Morgan = 4 or 5 and sometimes 3
Williams = 3 and sometimes 4
etc.
Does anybody not read that and recognize the kind of offensive and defensive utilization we expect to see this year? Will Kia sometime take over ball handling and when Moriah isn't on the floor perhaps become more of a 1 than a 2 - sure, but really only when the 5 players on the floor change or because of something specific happening defensively by the opponent.
Are some players more flexible than others in the way they can be utilized, of course. Tina is a classic 5 until she plays with Sylvia where because she is more flexible than Sylvia she becomes a 4. Stewart can shift from 4 to 3 easily, but you don't really want her at the 5 or 2 though in a pinch she will do it. Maya - 4 through 2, though she will struggle defensively against a good fast perimeter player.
Is any of that not accurate in conveying the players skills, and is it not easier than describing in detail where each player is most comfortable/effective on the court

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I actually think position numbers do create a good shortcut for describing the positioning and roles played by players on specific plays both offensively and defensively, and as a general description of a players skill set or usage on a particular team. If rigidly applied they are not helpful, but ...
Does anybody thing calling Sylvia Fowles or Dolson a '5' doesn't describe her game fairly accurately or saying that Moriah and Sue are '1's, or Dupree is a '4'.

Position numbers are fine, and people who disagree are just being stubborn. It doesn't mean you have to lock someone in somewhere. For instance, Gabby is relatively positionless. She can play a bunch of places. But, as you say, Moriah is a point, a 1. Dolson/Butler are 5s. Pure and Simple.

They give you an easy short hand for describing a skill set/position. 1 is a point. 2 is a shooting guard or small wing. 3 is a wing. 4 is a post or big. 5 is a traditional center. So you can play a lineup of 1, 3, 3, 4, 4 if you want.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ball bringer upper, Ball bringer uper shooter, ball catcher and shooter, ball rebounder, ball rebounder and enforcer now you know what speak of in discusssions. That should stop you from bawling.

LMAO . Really, really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc