Ollie, Geno, call Huskies "position-less" | The Boneyard

Ollie, Geno, call Huskies "position-less"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Glad that's settled. Now for the important stuff.....

"Kiah Nurse, who was really,really good," Auriemma said, "she practices the same way every day, every minute, to be great at every single thing. When she's not practicing, she's on the court helping people that are practicing. Gabby Williams is out there to prove a point, she's out there right now to prove a point: 'I'm good enough to play here. I wasn't last year but I am now.' Every day, every possession, she's proving, 'I'm really good enough to play here.'

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"And someone roaming around in the middle somewhere who could be a big guy, or not." Back in the day in soccer we called this person the "rover back". Love Geno settling this. But what are we going to fight about now? ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And yet....

"I can put him at point guard, I can put him at the four, the three. You see LeBron James, he's playing the four, he's the point guard," (Ollie)

"We had [Breanna Stewart] playing point guard" (Geno)

The positions are still there, they just like players who can play multiple positions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And yet....

"I can put him at point guard, I can put him at the four, the three. You see LeBron James, he's playing the four, he's the point guard," (Ollie)

"We had [Breanna Stewart] playing point guard" (Geno)

The positions are still there, they just like players who can play multiple positions.

Yup, we still need something to call them for us to remain intelligible in discussing them and about what, defensive floor space responsibilities, which may be different on offense, and to make matters worse UConn has no names on the jerseys and the players even change hair styles now and then. Really unfair to us fans. I wonder if it doesn't go back to when people mostly listened to basketball on the radio?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"And someone roaming around in the middle somewhere who could be a big guy, or not." Back in the day in soccer we called this person the "rover back". Love Geno settling this. But what are we going to fight about now? ;)

You're right Rocky. We've got to have some fodder to "chew on" between games to keep our minds sharp and focused. It's been said that "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". We need "constant stimulation". Like bears coming out of hibernation during the summer, it's basketball season again, and we need to flex our brain cells on some NEW issues and controversies.

I'm counting on my fellow BY'ers to come up with something we can exchange thoughts and opinions about....they always do. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good to have help.
I /we (Meyers & Rocky & others) have tried to help you. This particular concept (accurate BB position designations) seems to have no traction with you. Are you certain you are capable of being helped?

Reaction Score
Yup, we still need something to call them for us to remain intelligible in discussing them and about what, defensive floor space responsibilities, which may be different on offense, and to make matters worse UConn has no names on the jerseys and the players even change hair styles now and then. Really unfair to us fans. I wonder if it doesn't go back to when people mostly listened to basketball on the radio?
Maybe its time to remove the numbers too????

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe its time to remove the numbers too????

YES! If you don't recognize who they are and their entire statistical history, up to the quarter, you should not be able to watch! Would sure cross up Coach P ... oops, forgot, we no longer play Duke. :oops::rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have disliked the 1-5 designations for some time, mainly because many posting here were, in my view, overly rigid in their seeming insistence that a team (esp. our Huskies) somehow had to have a 1, a 2, a 3, a 4, and a 5 (one of each) on the court at all times -- that it was blasphemous to think outside the 1-5 box.

Did everyone, even a majority, think this narrowly? Of course not. But a cursory reading of many threads in recent years will support my contention that some posters professed to consider counting from 1 to 5 was tantamount to earning a Ph.D in Basketball Analytics.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You're right Rocky. We've got to have some fodder to "chew on" between games to keep our minds sharp and focused. It's been said that "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". We need "constant stimulation". Like bears coming out of hibernation during the summer, it's basketball season again, and we need to flex our brain cells on some NEW issues and controversies.

I'm counting on my fellow BY'ers to come up with something we can exchange thoughts and opinions about....they always do. :rolleyes:

I have. I invite your attention to my recent posts citing a method of designating basketball positions that I spotted on sports pages of The Boston Globe: ball-handlers, wings, swings, and bigs.

Reaction Score
I /we (Meyers & Rocky & others) have tried to help you. This particular concept (accurate BB position designations) seems to have no traction with you. Are you certain you are capable of being helped?

The position designations have no traction for Ollie and Geno, that's why I posted the Courant article. They use the word(s) position-less. Point being that positions are becoming increasingly more meaningless as athletes are courted for maximum versatility. Thought you might get that. My knowledge or lack thereof regarding any subject is not meant as a discourtesy to anyone else. If you are so affronted by basketball trivia, then I hope nothing serious ever comes your way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The position designations have no traction for Ollie and Geno, that's why I posted the Courant article. They use the word(s) position-less. Point being that positions are becoming increasingly more meaningless as athletes are courted for maximum versatility. Thought you might get that. My knowledge or lack thereof regarding any subject is not meant as a discourtesy to anyone else. If you are so affronted by basketball trivia, then I hope nothing serious ever comes your way.
Please, please read Meyers7 post above. Please.

Reaction Score
Please, please read Meyers7 post above. Please.

Uh, "position-less" is not my expression. No one believes that positions don't exist. Point is . . . oh, well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If we are going to encourage people to read Meyers posts then this could get out of control.
Sorry, you are right, I thought that we were already past that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom