Old School Boneyard Stories | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Old School Boneyard Stories

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Dogfather bragging about picking dook over UConn in one of the tourneys so he could win a pizza.
And that was the start of the Boneyard kangaroo court trial and swift hanging tradition. The original mojo!
There were also numerous threads in the 02/03 and 03/04 seasons about the impossibility of winning a Championship with Taliek as our point guard.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that every player we've ever had has had at least a couple of 'yarders who hated something about his game and/or character at some point in his career.

Reaction Score
I remember calling the recruiting hotlines over and over to see if a player committed to UConn. There was an article in Husky Blue and White about Kevin Garnett and his possible interest.

I met JKul a time or two to get whatever recruiting scoop he might have.

Heck, before the AOL days I remember I couldn’t wait to get the Courant and go to the sports page to see if a recruit committed to UConn.

Totally different world now!

The Sunday Norwich Bulletin was absolute gold. Peter Abraham was a G at that point giving you the lists of guys we were connected to, when their visits were set, and what he was hearing. Following recruiting was actually a lot easier without the crazy tech of today. You'd get a list of guys from the paper. If you were subscribed to the various mags, you looked them up and saw their ranking, and then you heard them visit and you waited. Today, we hear about every dude who we talk to/watch, we are inundated with fake news/mix tapes, and we really have no idea what's going on.

Reaction Score
Uconnhenry had an epic post...never heard from him again. Then again, maybe that was the old email listerve?
That was the listserve. It was awesome. A family of sorts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Uconnhenry had an epic post...never heard from him again. Then again, maybe that was the old email listerve?

It was on the toto list.

But he was definitely heard from again. I went to several games with him that year and can attest that no one, but no one, could harass an opposing coach the way he could.

Bruiser Flint took a hellacious beating from him at Gampel.

He might not have posted to the list, but he was here for years and years after that.

Reaction Score
To be quite honest, I forget if the old message board on aol was called 'The Boneyard' in the early to mid 1990's. In my vague recollection that forum was 'The Boneyard'. One specific change is the turnover of leading contributors with value added. At that time 'JKul' was the 'tcf13' with a great deal of value added content. Other frequent posters I recall were 'Vuce' , 'Blakeiii', 'Scott29ski', ... it would be interesting to know if any of these old posters were on the boneyard these days under the same other names. The information we now share from 247 or other 'real time' recruiting services was instead snail mail subscriptions to Hoop Scoop, Bob Gibbons, Husky Blue & White, etc on a publication schedule. I kept some of those old ranking lists that might be interesting. For instance, I hadn't recalled Rashmael Jones being a top 10 recruit, but he was by at least 1 of the services. I don't believe there was a composite rating at the time. The rumor mill was just as active. I saw I had printed out an assertion that Georgetown had cooled on the recruitment of Khalid El-Amin because he had asked John Thompson for money on a recruiting visit, and, did it in front of 2 other people. Never knew the truth of that. In that regard, nothing has changed.
Used to subscribe to Eastern Basketball too.

Reaction Score
I discovered The Boneyard in 2010 I believe, and became pretty active about it in 2013. I was wondering what some of the long term Boneyard users remember about the beginning days of UConn basketball. Were there any rumors, or stories, or recruits we were hot on?

I know there's Andrew Bynum, any big recruits that people were excited about that didn't pan out?
I thought Doug Wrenn was going to be great for us. Scott Hazelton was a McD AA transfered to URI. Curtis Kelly transferred. Marcus Johnson. Rudy Johnson was highly rated. Majok. Deng was hyped up.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought Doug Wrenn was going to be great for us. Scott Hazelton was a McD AA transfered to URI. Curtis Kelly transferred. Marcus Johnson. Rudy Johnson was highly rated. Majok. Deng was hyped up.
Wow a post that was actually responsive to the opening post? Did not see that coming.

Reaction Score

Hazelton made the McD AA team because the game was in Boston that year and they needed someone "local".

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hazelton made the McD AA team because the game was in Boston that year and they needed someone "local".

I thought Neil Fingelton was the overrated rep so they could have a local? Or was he the mandatory UNC must have a rep in the game every year rep?

Reaction Score
Fishy had to let that one go when his Chief00 handle became so featured and popular here.
I've always wondered how many of the past posters are now posting under another name. There is one poster currently here who has changed his handle at least a dozen times.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember in the 90s when there used to be a uconn email group before the time of message boards? I used to get so many emails to my aol account- screen name back then included a 42 for Donyell

Reaction Score
uconnhenry had an April Fools day post that got him a lot of hate. A lot of people fell for it and were really pissed even though uconnhenry made a post of similar nature every single April 1st.

Anybody know anything about UConnHenry. Last time I saw him was at Rentschler probably 10 years ago. Now that I am typing this
I am sorta afraid to ask....

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
That was the listserve. It was awesome. A family of sorts.
The Toto listserve was my introduction to the UConn basketball fan base. I loved coming home from work firing up my Eudora email client and reading and responding to the days posts. The good old days of the Internet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom