Old School Boneyard Stories | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Old School Boneyard Stories

Reaction Score
It's a shame the misogynist vegan thread and the shaved arm threads were consolidated on the cesspool. They were some of the most fun I ever had on the internet. I haven't been here that long so I'm not sure how it compares to past threads. It seems like the Love Potion thread is infamous. I googled it and it came up on the syracuse board and they were talking about how good it was

Reaction Score
The early "discussions" with UMass fans were things of beauty when they still believed they were relevant. Was it UMFan or UMassFan who was their ring leader?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The early "discussions" with UMass fans were things of beauty when they still believed they were relevant. Was it UMFan or UMassFan who was their ring leader?

UMFan, aka Deepster's brother from another mother.

Reaction Score
Well, I can add something from the old Courant board.....TobyWes was a poster who hated Taliek, and wanted JC fired after every loss. Many from that board ended up on a Facebook board that I left because I ticked off the admin by deleting some of his posts when he physically threatened my friend.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anybody know anything about UConnHenry. Last time I saw him was at Rentschler probably 10 years ago. Now that I am typing this
I am sorta afraid to ask....
EDIT:
He's on the twitter @uconnhenry

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a shame the misogynist vegan thread and the shaved arm threads were consolidated on the cesspool. They were some of the most fun I ever had on the internet. I haven't been here that long so I'm not sure how it compares to past threads. It seems like the Love Potion thread is infamous. I googled it and it came up on the syracuse board and they were talking about how good it was

A recent classic was the Diana Taurasi wedding thread. Pretty sure that one is dead and buried. But it was off season and lived for maybe a week?

Reaction Score
So I've been on the Boneyard from the beginning. But as a Freshman there in 1964 my first UConn game featured Toby, Wes, et al vs AIC with a guy named Jim Calhoun. We won but Jim scored a lot of points.

Before all the recruiting magazines there was Street and Smiths Basketball guide to college basketball. They had a section where they rated the top 100 HS basketball players. There were always guys from Cross, Hillhouse, Hartford Public and Weaver. Back then one could only dream of getting a John Williamson or Calvin Murphy to UConn. In the early 70's I remember Earl Wilson was a great player-Arnold Dean called him Earl the Pearl like the NBA s Monroe. In 1974 our local paper Norwich Bulletin and a Guy I became friends with-Tim Tolokan-covered UConn bball and remember reading one day about Tony Hanson signing with UConn. That really started the new era of a national UConn-when the Big East was formed in 1978 and the top recruit Corny Thompson Tim wrote about UConn finally beating out big time school NC for him. About that time I became friendly thru Tim with the UConn Staff of Dom, Jimmy OBrian etc. A friend of mine at Pfizer-last name Miller, had a son who was a very good PG at Fitch that UConn recruited. A publication called Eastern Basketball came out and I became friendly wit Rita Napalitano there. They were a great source for recruiting in the early days, getting reports on players from scouts and guys like me. Later guys like Chris Smith and other nationally ranked players were picking UConn regularly. The first game at Gampel was vs St Johns and I was offered $100 for my ticked by a St Johns fan-NO Way did I sell it! Smutty helped win game #1 with I think 36 points. UConn at last was big time. No more did we have to beat PC with Soup Campbell in the ECACs to get to the dance. The Big East was Big Time

Reaction Score
Folks trashed Taliek's play but I remember posts about "Rickety" Moore.

Reaction Score
UMFan, aka Deepster's brother from another mother.

I know I don’t have all the details right, but I think UMFan or someone else from that board was legitimately threatening people at some point. And I think Tom or Fishy found the IP address of the postings and they were from a workplace and they contacted (or threatened) to contact the employer.

Reaction Score
Another great old time Yard moment was the voting machine. Again, the details there are fuzzy after the years, but that was one of the first times I remember thinking things online could be manipulated pretty easily.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Another great old time Yard moment was the voting machine. Again, the details there are fuzzy after the years, but that was one of the first times I remember thinking things online could be manipulated pretty easily.

A distant past regular, now mostly lurker, set it up so every visit to the yard added a vote for UConn. It was easy back then, but now not really doable.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anybody know anything about UConnHenry. Last time I saw him was at Rentschler probably 10 years ago. Now that I am typing this
I am sorta afraid to ask....

I contacted him several years ago after his absence. New girlfriend/wife thought he was spending too much time on the 'yard. She must be the real deal, because he hasn't been back, at least not as uchenry.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

My UCHenry story:

Henry offered me a ticket to a Hartford Civic Center game. I arrived at the designated place and time early, which I usually do. I was approached by the one person who fit the description I was given ...

Me: "Are you Henry?"

Him: "Yeah, hi ... how are you'?"

Me: "We're early. Can I buy you a drink, maybe something to eat?"

Him: "Ok."

45 minutes later we head for the gate, his ticket is scanned, and he never looks back.

I know this wasn't Henry because I met him at a later event. Whoever this guy was ... Please, if you are reading this ... I'm ok with being scammed, it was pretty awesome after the fact, but I have to know - tell me wtf was going on?

And Henry, if you are reading this, where the hell have you been?

Reaction Score
I know I don’t have all the details right, but I think UMFan or someone else from that board was legitimately threatening people at some point. And I think Tom or Fishy found the IP address of the postings and they were from a workplace and they contacted (or threatened) to contact the employer.

I think one of them said I should watch myself when I get out of the car at night but I can't remember the details. That's how frightened I was. They had some real loonies, unlike us here at the BY.:oops:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know I can't believe anyone would "trash" with of these guys. That's crazy!

It actually happens quite often.

It's almost a right of passage where the Boneyard's collective wisdom finds a player to beat up for the length of the season. This player, amazingly enough, is never the same player who is in the coach's doghouse.

Even players who have been clean off the court and productive on the court have fallen in to this category.

Reaction Score
It actually happens quite often.

It's almost a right of passage where the Boneyard's collective wisdom finds a player to beat up for the length of the season. This player, amazingly enough, is never the same player who is in the coach's doghouse.

Even players who have been clean off the court and productive on the court have fallen in to this category.

That’s ashame.

Reaction Score
Another recurring historical hilarity on this board is posters failing to notice sarcasm of other posters. OMFG it can get out of hand.

Wait...what?? There's sarcasm here??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom