Olander 12 minutes no rebounds | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olander 12 minutes no rebounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Never heard of someone having the flu for 2/3's of the season (maybe he has mono). I'm sure glad he was healthy for Notre Dame....
Um, no but he was sick last night.
Reading comprehension problems?

It's a little something called SARCASM, wow buddy, get out much?.......remove that stick when you get a chance

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I know TO isn't great, but you can't say that he (and even moreso Wolf) wouldn't have been on the roster of a vintage UConn team. In '99 we had Klaiber and Justin Brown, in '04 we had Shamon Tooles and Ryan Thompson. In 2011, had... Wolf and Olander!

C

Chief00

I agree Tyler is not very gifted. I am not going to criticize him further. I reserve my criticisms for more physically talented kids who could play better.

Reaction Score
I agree Tyler is not very gifted. I am not going to criticize him further. I reserve my criticisms for more physically talented kids who could play better.

He's physically talented enough to rebound and score, we saw it. Don't care if ND was slower, he proved a lot there. Just can't believe he couldn't build off of that success??

C

Chief00

He's physically talented enough to rebound and score, we saw it. Don't care if ND was slower, he proved a lot there. Just can't believe he couldn't build off of that success??
He was only somewhat successful when other guys were getting doubled teamed and he was left open.

Reaction Score
If his feet ever leave the floor, his boards count would be astronomical.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Anyone know if there really is a way to improve lateral quickness? Weren't there stories about linemen in football taking ballet classes to improve quickness and agility? To me, Tyler looks like he has put on weight, presumably trying to get stronger. The down side is that he seems to have lost quickness and maybe speed in general, causing him to just not be able to move his feet quick enough to defend. I wish he could just relax and go out and play loose, especially on offense. He seems to kind of short arm shot trying to guide the ball rather than shoot it fluidly. Giffey does the same thing. He does not seem to be having a lot of fun out there.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You may recall that Olander was a late signee in a year when we lost out on almost every recruit we offered and needed a body for the roster. That's what he is. In most years, we wouldn't have signed him but he lucked out and got signed. We just need him to be the "body" he was signed to be. He's just not doing it.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
TO did look under the weather a bit last night and he also looks like he is down on himself, but for a local kid who was initially projected to get only rare PT he is clearly the Boneyard whipping boy ala Taliek Brown (but at least Taliek was a McD's AA so you could understand higher expectations).

TO (and Wolf for that matter) often pick up fouls because the guards and wings lose their man while playing off-the-ball defense (reference Bazz losing Dunn on a back door in OT) or getting screened allowing their man to penetrate (reference Council's frequent penetration). The poor rebounding often results from the same problem: the opponent penetrates which results in TO or Wolf attempting a blocked shot, leaving the, out of position to box out or collect rebounds.
Do they both try for too many blocks?...yes, they do.
Are they both not great at moving their feet, leaving them out of position to more effectively stop the drive?...yes again, but the ability to recover that quickly as a big inside on defense is a special skill.
I'm not saying that Bazz & Boat are bad defenders (they are both quite good at on-the-ball D and anticipating off-the-ball steals) but because of their lack of strength and bulk, they are relatively easy to manhandle on screens (several illegal screens were missed last night) and they both have a tendency to sneak-a-peak at the ball, hoping to get a steal and end up losing track of their man. Omar is still an inexperienced defender and gives up penetration too easily.
So, TO's deficiencies are not all his fault. If he can get well and regain his confidence, we can see more ND-like performances.

Reaction Score
I've always said he would have been better off playing in the Patriot League or some liwer level of competition. Even then, he would not be a star.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
You may recall that Olander was a late signee in a year when we lost out on almost every recruit we offered and needed a body for the roster. That's what he is. In most years, we wouldn't have signed him but he lucked out and got signed. We just need him to be the "body" he was signed to be. He's just not doing it.

Good points. Doesn't he live right down the street or really close to campus? I guess if you have a family that are Uconn fans , live close to campus and have two tall sons with decent skills and grades --- one of them has to go to Uconn. The problem is he should only be playing 10- 15 minutes behind Roscoe, Ao , Drummond and Bradley

Reaction Score
I've always said he would have been better off playing in the Patriot League or some liwer level of competition. Even then, he would not be a star.

The thing is TO had offers to very good schools tho, Virginia, Florida, Wake Forest, ND, it's not like Tyler was regarded as a scrub. I know when he was signed nobody would've ever envisioned him starting or playing a big role and the only reason why that's happening now is because of the defections/ban, but he got outplayed by even the mid-low major frontcourts we faced this year, he shouldn't be this bad.

Reaction Score
TO did look under the weather a bit last night and he also looks like he is down on himself, but for a local kid who was initially projected to get only rare PT he is clearly the Boneyard whipping boy ala Taliek Brown (but at least Taliek was a McD's AA so you could understand higher expectations).

TO (and Wolf for that matter) often pick up fouls because the guards and wings lose their man while playing off-the-ball defense (reference Bazz losing Dunn on a back door in OT) or getting screened allowing their man to penetrate (reference Council's frequent penetration). The poor rebounding often results from the same problem: the opponent penetrates which results in TO or Wolf attempting a blocked shot, leaving the, out of position to box out or collect rebounds.
Are they both not great at moving their feet, leaving them out of position to more effectively stop the drive?...yes again, but the ability to recover that quickly as a big inside on defense is a special skill.
I'm not saying that Bazz & Boat are bad defenders (they are both quite good at on-the-ball D and anticipating off-the-ball steals) but because of their lack of strength and bulk, they are relatively easy to manhandle on screens (several illegal screens were missed last night) and they both have a tendency to sneak-a-peak at the ball, hoping to get a steal and end up losing track of their man. Omar is still an inexperienced defender and gives up penetration too easily.
So, TO's deficiencies are not all his fault. If he can get well and regain his confidence, we can see more ND-like performances.

TO's deficiencies are his fault. He never moves his feet, when he bodies a big he doesn't feel the strong side or anticipate the next move well and he hangs on his hedges too long for someone slower afoot. You said yes on blocked shots and I agree, he should never block a shot because he can't. He may get a few by mistake but he would be much better off thinking step in front, hand in the face and rebound!!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can Wolf start already? And can Wolf get a double-double to quiet all this Olander talk?

Reaction Score
Can Wolf start already? And can Wolf get a double-double to quiet all this Olander talk?

Enosch had 2-3 fouls the other night called on him that could've either been no calls or they were just horrendous. He has the "big white clumsy center" syndrome with the stripes and it hurts his PT.........he is our best option and we would be better with 22-25 minutes from him...........

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Enosch had 2-3 fouls the other night called on him that could've either been no calls or they were just horrendous. He has the "big white clumsy center" syndrome with the stripes and it hurts his PT.........he is our best option and we would be better with 22-25 minutes from him...........

I agree. He brings so much more than Olander to the table. And you can't really protect Olander. He has had 3 years to make an impact. He couldn't outplay Oriakhi, Drummond, Smith, etc and now it seems like he just quit. He's just taking up space on the floor.

Reaction Score
I agree. He brings so much more than Olander to the table. And you can't really protect Olander. He has had 3 years to make an impact. He couldn't outplay Oriakhi, Drummond, Smith, etc and now it seems like he just quit. He's just taking up space on the floor.

I wouldn't go that far, he does look frustrated with his own inability to impact the team at times......I feel for the kid.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. Remember how his 7' brother schooled him a couple of years back while his brother was playing at Fairfield. Tyler lacks some abilities, but in my opinion, fwiw, he might be a much better player at the #4.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. Remember how his 7' brother schooled him a couple of years back while his brother was playing at Fairfield. Tyler lacks some abilities, but in my opinion, fwiw, he might be a much better player at the #4.

Everyone says that but his best bet is guarding 5's and he's having trouble. Have you guys seen the ability of some 4's and match up nightmares they would cause Tyler.......he doesn't have good footwork as many C's but he has trouble with them, no chance of him playing the 4 better........at least from what i see.......his brother wasn't a real 5 either more like a decent PF/athlete at 6'10 than a C..........

D

Deleted member 3149

Tyler will be just fine. He's a husky, therefor we support him. People are quick to forget about his excellent games like the one against ND...without TO, we lose that game by 10

Reaction Score
I know when he was signed nobody would've ever envisioned him starting or playing a big role and the only reason why that's happening now is because of the defections/ban, but he got outplayed by even the mid-low major frontcourts we faced this year, he shouldn't be this bad.

Coming in late, but I'm not sure if I agree with the sentiments here. I think if we go back a couple of years many of us would have had pretty high hopes for TO. He was a three-star recruit and started as a freshman (even if he only ended up getting 10 mins per game) on a championship team. Certainly, I didn't envision him becoming a star, but I did see him being a fairly solid player for us down the road (i.e. by his junior year). He was definitely recruited to be more than a body; the guy has some semblance of an offensive skill set that was probably pretty impressive at the high school level. He just hasn't built on it for us.

Reaction Score
Tyler played 10x better than Wolf today, so I don't know what game people were watching. He made a few buckets, grabbed a few rebounds. He was largely out of the middle because his man was shooting 3s. That being said, he didn't play great. But Wolf was abysmal. He was sleeping out there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

BOTH BOAT AND BAZZ ARE REAL BAD DEFENDERS - they have quick hands but do not have any technical skills handling someone who has strong handle and feet

Reaction Score
KO will.start TO if he sucks in comes Wolf. If he sucks back.comes TO.and if he sucks in comes Wolf and...................,,..................................................................................................

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Tyler played 10x better than Wolf today, so I don't know what game people were watching. He made a few buckets, grabbed a few rebounds. He was largely out of the middle because his man was shooting 3s. That being said, he didn't play great. But Wolf was abysmal. He was sleeping out there.

Wolf could not play perimeter defense against a big who could hit the 3.....just a bad matchup for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom