Olander 12 minutes no rebounds | The Boneyard

Olander 12 minutes no rebounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Rewind a couple years..... I think JC would of found a way to "transfer him" aka cut'em. He brings absolutely nothing to the table whatsoever.......

Reaction Score
He was punked by strong, mobile and fierce players. He does better against the Notre Dame type big men. Those PC front-court players were eating all basketballs and certainly not sharing it with TO. When TO, Wolf and DD tried to get a bite they were pushed back. They all looked punked for that matter, particularly in the 1st half. I was screaming for them to throw some 'bows' but they looked scared.

Reaction Score
Our 5's are really 4's. Our 4's are 3's, and our 3's are 2's. TO is not a very gifted player, but he's also being asked to play a position that he's not suited for. We just don't have much talent up front. Zero rebounds is not acceptable, but no one else got any rebounds either.

Reaction Score
Our 5's are really 4's. Our 4's are 3's, and our 3's are 2's. TO is not a very gifted player, but he's also being asked to play a position that he's not suited for. We just don't have much talent up front. Zero rebounds is not acceptable, but no one else got any rebounds either.

Yes if he was playing in the NBA he would be a 4. But this is college and most teams don't have a true center. If he was playing the 4 he still would be over matched. He wasn't brought in to play many minutes. He was brought in to be a practice player who maybe developed into a quality backup. What they say he does well he seldom does. Hit a mid range foul line jump shot. He has no motor, not aggressive can't jump, doesn't hit ft's, can't shoot during the game.

Reaction Score
As the rebounding margin reached a huge difference, I started isolating on Olander. His problem is pretty simple and basic. He doesn't put a body on anybody and box out. Like the rest of our front court, Tyler has weak hands.

Reaction Score
As the rebounding margin reached a huge difference, I started isolating on Olander. His problem is pretty simple and basic. He doesn't put a body on anybody and box out. Like the rest of our front court, Tyler has weak hands.

Olander just doesn't move his feet to get position or to block out and footwork is important especially for those who lack athletism and strength. He tries hard, but he plays flatfooted and isn't able to position himself properly for rebounding or for blocking out. Understandable if he was a Frosh, but this is his third year and you'd hope some of the fundamentals of reboundng would have sunk in by now.

Reaction Score
If we had our normal compliment of players for this season TO would play 10-15 minutes a game. Because we are so thin we see all the flaws because he has to play so much(when he doesn't pickup 2 fouls before the first tv timeout).

It's like in baseball when a 4th OF is asked to start for an extended period of time eventually you see wht they are a 4th OF.

I call this the "Danny Heep" syndrom.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let's face it - if this is a vintage UConn team, Olander and Wolf aren't even on the roster.

But it ain't, so they are.

These guys are just going to struggle at this level - they don't have the ability to dominate Big East players.

Reaction Score
With all of that said, are the big men recruits that we have for next year (they look skinny) enough or do we need some tough SOB (juco) who can mix it up? Kind of like a hockey enforcer.

Reaction Score
Yes if he was playing in the NBA he would be a 4. But this is college and most teams don't have a true center. If he was playing the 4 he still would be over matched. He wasn't brought in to play many minutes. He was brought in to be a practice player who maybe developed into a quality backup. What they say he does well he seldom does. Hit a mid range foul line jump shot. He has no motor, not aggressive can't jump, doesn't hit ft's, can't shoot during the game.

If he were playing in the NBA pigs would be flying.

Reaction Score
Olander has been fighting a flu bug. Didn't practice earlier in the day yesterday. He tried to make a go of it last night.

Reaction Score
TO is what he is. Marginal talent. He gave us 12 minutes, 5 fouls, couple of blocks and two points. He was under the weather but ate up a few minutes for the team. PC front line was too quick for him, bad match up. No sense in complaining. By now everyone knows the type of player he is. Somedays will be better than others based on matchups.

Reaction Score
What's disappointing is that he doesn't seem to be getting better. In fact, his defense looks worse.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Olander has been fighting a flu bug. Didn't practice earlier in the day yesterday. He tried to make a go of it last night.
This! For god's sake, this! TO has struggled this year no doubt about it, but the kid has the freaking flu and still came out and played. Lighten up! I had this thing and I slept for three days and was pretty sick for 5 more.

Unbelievable.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Let's face it - if this is a vintage UConn team, Olander and Wolf aren't even on the roster.

But it ain't, so they are.

These guys are just going to struggle at this level - they don't have the ability to dominate Big East players.

So true. The way KO is heavily recruiting we'll
Probably never or rarely see a complete 4 year , two star player again. That's good and bad at the same time for me.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
This! For god's sake, this! TO has struggled this year no doubt about it, but the kid has the freaking flu and still came out and played. Lighten up! I had this thing and I slept for three days and was pretty sick for 5 more.

Unbelievable.
Never heard of someone having the flu for 2/3's of the season (maybe he has mono). I'm sure glad he was healthy for Notre Dame....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not sure what Fishy was talking about since TO was recruited with AO in the fold and RS coming to UConn! He was a backup four or practice player. He actually does well if he is a complement player to a decent five. But put him at the five and make him the pivitol player for the four, five position and he is exposed both physically and emotionally.

It's a struggle for me to watch him struggle. During the heat of the moment I cringe at some of his wtf plays. But afterwards I accept TO for who he is. I feel badly for him because I suspect he is far more down on himself than any of the fans. I'm sure these games are less fun for him than for us! And I know it might be hard for some of us to fathom, but if TO were not available because he bolted after last season, this years team would have far greater problems then what he has contributed.

Reaction Score
simply unacceptable
Hard to believe that he doesn't get a rebound just by being in the right place at the right time. Wolfe too... Very much looking forward to seeing what the incoming bigs can provide in terms of rebounding.

Reaction Score
He's just not that talented, and really has no motor what-so-ever. This is just a little thing, but I think it speaks to what type of player he is. When he runs the court, I get a little embarrassed for him. His head and body movements are like that of a fat tall kid in your elementary school gym class who is being forced to do laps around the playground. I have never seen any D1 or NBA player before or sense run the court like that. It just screams unathletic and goofy. It's like every run up and down the court is an immense struggle. Take a look Sunday and you will see what I mean.

I don't dislike him as a player and I think the effort is there, we are just asking too much of him right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Never heard of someone having the flu for 2/3's of the season (maybe he has mono). I'm sure glad he was healthy for Notre Dame....
Um, no but he was sick last night.
Reading comprehension problems?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It looks like Olander spends too much time partying and drinking than playing basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom