Olander 12 minutes no rebounds | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olander 12 minutes no rebounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wolf could not play perimeter defense against a big who could hit the 3.....just a bad matchup for him.

Nor could Tyler, Fitzgerald took it by Tyler when he went to guard him. Tyler was better yesterday, at least more active especially during our run but neither were very good on defense that's for sure! Tyler got upfaked out of his jock 3 or 4 times because he can't stay on his feet and he also guarded Fitzy once to the middle and allowed the baseline where there is not help on a spin move. That's Defense 101 from Cuno League, you have help if you force him back middle none on the baseline. These guys drive me nuts bodying bigs up!!

Reaction Score
Tyler played 10x better than Wolf today, so I don't know what game people were watching. He made a few buckets, grabbed a few rebounds. He was largely out of the middle because his man was shooting 3s. That being said, he didn't play great. But Wolf was abysmal. He was sleeping out there.

On he offensive end, he would have had 2 or 3 more putbacks had the whistle not been blown on fouls prior if anyone noticed. He was active on some of the offensive boards for sure but again not good on the other end.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's a little something called SARCASM, wow buddy, get out much?.......remove that stick when you get a chance
Oh so it was a failed attempt at sarcasm. I see.

Maybe you can get a twofer course on reading comprehension and literary devices.

Reaction Score
Wolf could not play perimeter defense against a big who could hit the 3.....just a bad matchup for him.

The problem I saw was Wolf playing zone. He occupied very little space and allowed guards to take passes that zipped by his underarms.

Reaction Score
The rebounding against USF was fine. TO held his own.

If Omar doesn't go 0-8. We talk about TO having a decent game.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Oh so it was a failed attempt at sarcasm. I see.

Maybe you can get a twofer course on reading comprehension and literary devices.
.....weak

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
People need to chill on Olander. He is a backup that is being asked to start, and it is going about as expected. He plays hard and occasionally kicks in a few rebounds and scoring. It is silly to get angry at Olander for not being Emeka Okafor.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what's going on in this thread , but I do know from someone close that olander isn't happy with his playing time. KO has implemented a "no rebound no pt" policy. If he isn't more economical with his time on the floor well be seeing less and less.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what's going on in this thread , but I do know from someone close that olander isn't happy with his playing time. KO has implemented a "no rebound no pt" policy. If he isn't more economical with his time on the floor well be seeing less and less.

not happy with his playing time???

Reaction Score
If Tyler really isn't happy with his playing time he has nobody to blame except himself for his terrible play. I can't imagine him blaming anyone except himself.

Reaction Score
People give Tyler WAY too much hate. He works his ass off and gives the game everything he has. He go us into OT yesterday with that big defensive play and is the reason we beat Notre Dame. The logic that being big and tall means you should get 10+ rebounds a game in division I basketball is flawed logic held mostly by people who have never stepped on a court. He's showing serious improvement out there being forced to learn an entirely new position. How about supporting him? How do you think he feels when he checks boards like these on his performance and sees people questioning whether he should even be playing basketball? He is a very good player. He's just struggling with his new role. Go Olander

Reaction Score
People give Tyler WAY too much hate. He works his ass off and gives the game everything he has. He go us into OT yesterday with that big defensive play and is the reason we beat Notre Dame. The logic that being big and tall means you should get 10+ rebounds a game in division I basketball is flawed logic held mostly by people who have never stepped on a court

No hate just reality.......you have a frame like his and the will to get a rebound you don't go w/o period.......he gets his respect but there's no excuse for the rebounding numbers he or other bigs have put up........

I gave him his due for last game and ND and he should be better and more consistent!! Simple

Reaction Score
Numbers don't tell the story. He often had to try and alter shots on the perimeter and had very low minutes due to fouling defenders which would have gotten easy dunks....it's not a coincidence that both him and wolf fouled out. That's the way providence was coming at us

Reaction Score
Numbers don't tell the story. He often had to try and alter shots on the perimeter and had very low minutes due to fouling defenders which would have gotten easy dunks....it's not a coincidence that both him and wolf fouled out. That's the way providence was coming at us

Yeah but no need to be out of control....move your feet, take a charge, put a hand in their face and box out.......don't try to block shots just play defense. Again, you have some truth no doubt because the guards could do better keeping their guys in front of them but in the back on the help side you still need to move fast and smart. He was better yesterday and Wolf hedges really well normally, just need to be better to assure you're in rebounding position!

The one thing that irked me all day was allowing Collins the step....why not play off of him and make him shoot it from out there? He isn't a good shooter and would prefer to penetrate so take that away!

Reaction Score
not happy with his playing time???
His poor work ethic and focus lead to him being out of position on basically everything. He is often yanked by Ollie because of this( so total minutes don't tell the whole story). But yeah, he isn't on the same page as say Napier, mentally.

Reaction Score
And it's not just about rebounding the man can't guard a pnr to save his life. He's in lala land. So after hearing about his supposed grievances I was not surprised.

Reaction Score
And it's not just about rebounding the man can't guard a pnr to save his life. He's in lala land. So after hearing about his supposed grievances I was not surprised.
I just dont understand how he could be upset about playing time, anyone playing like him on a top program would barely leave the bench, let alone get the 20 minutes he gets. Does he watch film of himself?

Reaction Score

Where did you hear this? He can't be upset about playing time can he? One game doesn't make a year!....man kids these days are clueless if indeed he is concerned with PT.....

Reaction Score
Old days: I want more playing time, so I'm going to play better.

New days: I can't play better if I don't get more playing time.

(the above is slightly embellished with cliched romanticism about the good old days. And get off my lawn)

Reaction Score
Exactly gurley. olander is under the wild assumption he doesn't get enough touches or opportunities. his play is suffering beyond his usual egregious ways. Personally this 'no rebound no pt' is some great coaching stuff. This ain't speculation either folks

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sports is the ultimate meritocracy. When my children were younger, I told them that your playing time is ultimately up to you to decide. Play well enough that the coach can't take you off the floor and you'll get all the minutes you'd like.

That said, I feel badly for Tyler. He is being asked to give more than he physically can. No ones fault, it is just the way it is.

Reaction Score
Sports is the ultimate meritocracy. When my children were younger, I told them that your playing time is ultimately up to you to decide. Play well enough that the coach can't take you off the floor and you'll get all the minutes you'd like.

That said, I feel badly for Tyler. He is being asked to give more than he physically can. No ones fault, it is just the way it is.

Completely agree with both paragraphs. Tyler would be better as a complementary post - ie while Drummond is doing all the hard labor against the physical players, Tyler could sneak in for some rebounds or get open more easily. As the guy who is the primary focus of the other team's rebounding attention, he gets overwhelmed.

That said, this is high level basketball, and you have to find a way to be productive as a role player. By doing just one thing well (get defensive boards, consistently hit 15 footers, defend the p+r), he could force Ollie to play him a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom