Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
UConn picked up their first ever recruit from the USANTDP:

Over The Boards‏@OTBPuckWatch
97 F Tage Thompson (@USANTDP) commits to UConn. Huge get for the Huskies; a skilled, 6'2 talent at center who played for PAL last year.

LI has been VERY fertile recruiting grounds for BC...Marty Hughes, Rob Scuderi, and Sonny Milano (before he decided to go pro and headed off to the OHL) among others. This means Cav has thrown down and gauntlet and is becoming a MAJOR player recruiting. It also means he has something to sell facility wise for a future campus home.

Yup:

@goalmouthradio: Thompson toured Boston College, New Hampshire, Providence, Northeastern, Brown and Yale. Chose the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I don't rea
Bummer (for now?):

@Jerome_Berube: Liam Murphy to sign with Moncton Wildcats QMJHL... http://post original url/kStCL8D15M via @wordpressdotcom

>> Avon Old Farms forward Liam Murphy committed to the University of Connecticut for the fall of 2015. The Killingworth, CT native has played midget hockey with the CT Wolfpack and the East Coast Militia. He played his first season of prep hockey this past winter for the Winged Beavers of Avon Old Farms.

Hockeyrecruits4u sources have found out this season he will make the big jump and will sign with Moncton Wildcats of the QMJHL. He has removed Avon Old Farms and UCONN Commit from his twitter profile picture.<r<
l don't really understand the mentality of hockey recruiting. But, if Murphy was scheduled to be jr. @ Avon, and he blows off H.S. and UConn for junior hockey, then is he a H.S. dropout putting all his eggs in the NHL basket? If so, isn't this terrible advice he's been given?

Reaction Score
I don't rea

l don't really understand the mentality of hockey recruiting. But, if Murphy was scheduled to be jr. @ Avon, and he blows off H.S. and UConn for junior hockey, then is he a H.S. dropout putting all his eggs in the NHL basket? If so, isn't this terrible advice he's been given?
Yonick the way Canadian Major Junior teams work is this: A kid is billeted (housed) by a local family and they attend the local high school where they are put into a college prep level study track. There is tuition money for college if they don't get a shot at the NHL...BUT it is VERY difficult to qualify for that program. I'm not sure if they have changed that or not. Hockey wise...I think he made a good move. He is a 16 yr old playing in a league with guys up to 19 and 20 yrs of age that annually turns out some of the top NHL draft prospects. He is a top 2 line player for Moncton which for a 16 yr old is usually unheard of, unless the player is at or near the top of the rankings for his draft class. I'm as big a UCONN fan as you will find, but in Liam Murphy's case this move was the right move.

Reaction Score
JUDSON COMMITS TO CONNECTICUT
http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view/ojhl/news-21/news_178548

>>Wellington Dukes defenceman Conner Judson (photo credit - Ed McPherson/OJHL Images) has confirmed his commitment to join the University of Connecticut Huskies beginning with the 2015-16 Hockey East season.

The 20-year old Shaker Heights, Ohio native joined the Dukes this season after spending 2013-14 with the Nepean Raiders of the CCHL. The towering 6'3", 220 lbs. rearguard has helped solidfy the Dukes blueline early this season and earned his NCAA Division I scholarship.

Congratulations to Conner and best of luck as he closes out his junior career!<<

Reaction Score
UConn picked up their first ever recruit from the USANTDP:

Over The Boards‏@OTBPuckWatch
97 F Tage Thompson (@USANTDP) commits to UConn. Huge get for the Huskies; a skilled, 6'2 talent at center who played for PAL last year.

Will Moran‏@goalmouthradio 46m46 minutes ago
UConn commit Tage Thompson scores against Michigan. UConn commit already showing scoring prowess vs. college hockey's elite.

Reaction Score
Will Moran‏@goalmouthradio 46m46 minutes ago
UConn commit Tage Thompson scores against Michigan. UConn commit already showing scoring prowess vs. college hockey's elite.

usantdp 10:17am via Twitter Web Client
U18 F Tage Thompson returns to familiar ground this weekend in Rhode Island: Post original url/1stVpUx @PCAthletics @UConnMHOC

goalmouthradio 10:08pm via Twitter for Android
UConn commit Tage Thompson added another assist tonight vs. Providence College. NTDP tied PC 3-3.

Line Chart from tonight's game: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0063/9914/101614_U18vsProvidence.pdf

Reaction Score
18U USANDTP:

@goalmouthradio: UConn commit Tage Thompson scores against a college team for the third time. Has scored vs. Michigan, Providence and Cornell.

Reaction Score
Back on topic ;)

Via Will Moran...

goalmouthradio5:04pm via web
Austrian forward Marco Richter has committed to UConn for 2014 or 2015. Details to follow.

goalmouthradio5:04pm via web
Richter is a late ’95 birthday. 18 year old listed at 6 foot and 181 lbs. Shoots left.

goalmouthradio5:05pm via web
Richter has 62 points (36g, 26a) in 41 games this season.

Richter currently plays in the Austria U20 league with the Lower Austria Stars.

Richter has been with the Lower Austria Stars U20 team since 2011-12, over which time he has racked up 127 points (74g,53a) in 108 games.

goalmouthradio 10:57am via Twitter for Android
UConn Hockey commit Marco Richter has signed his NLI to Connecticut.

goalmouthradio 11:04am via Twitter for Android
In 16 games this season with Madison in the USHL, Richter has 7 points (5g,2a).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quite the Minnesota pipeline Cav and his boys have...

cmayer_99 6:25pm via Twitter for iPhone
Excited to announce my commitment to play college hockey at the University of Connecticut! Thanks to everyone that helped me sofar #Huskies

OTBPuckWatch6:45pm via Twitter for iPhone
99 D Connor Mayer (Benilde-St. Margaret's) commits to Connecticut. Huge get. Confident puck-mover with great potential. Our #15 uncommitted.

goalmouthradio10:53pm via Twitter Web Client
Apologies for tardiness on this, UConn landed a big get today with the commitment of defenseman Connor Mayer.

goalmouthradio10:56pm via Twitter Web Client
A 1999 born defenseman from Benilde-St. Margaret's in Minnesota, Mayer is listed at 5'9'' and 155. Heralded for puck moving and skating.

goalmouthradio10:57pm via Twitter Web Client
Benilde- St. Margaret's is also where current Huskies Johnny Austin and Spencer Naas attended.

goalmouthradio10:58pm via Twitter Web Client
Mayer was a part of the USA Hockey Select 15 Festival this past summer in Amherst. NY. The event is a gathering of the top '99 players.

goalmouthradio11:00pm via Twitter Web Client
.@OTBPuckWatch has Mayer listed as the 6th best 1999 born US defenseman. You can see the list here: otbelite.com/100-of-the-top…

goalmouthradio11:04pm via Twitter Web Client
At the Select 15 Camp mentioned earlier, Mayer was among the top defenseman there. Recorded 2 goals, 2 assists in 4 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks! I am trying to learn about college hockey recruiting. Is it normal for kids to commit early, when compared to football or Bball? This would make it hard to turnaround a program quickly. How often do kids switch?

Reaction Score
Thanks! I am trying to learn about college hockey recruiting. Is it normal for kids to commit early, when compared to football or Bball? This would make it hard to turnaround a program quickly. How often do kids switch?

Still trying to figure it out myself @ times. I'm not an expert by any means - but it's nothing like football/basketball because you have the junior hockey option before college (which I still struggle with figuring out @ times). My sense and only my sense is the chance to lose a kid to another school (absent a coaching change) is less likely than losing a committed kid to the Canadian Hockey leagues (OHL, QMJHL or WHL).

Reaction Score
My sense and only my sense is the chance to lose a kid to another school (absent a coaching change) is less likely than losing a committed kid to the Canadian Hockey leagues (OHL, QMJHL or WHL).
Hockey culture in the US has changed immensely since the creation of the NTDP. Those kids don't go to the CHL.

Reaction Score
Hockey culture in the US has changed immensely since the creation of the NTDP. Those kids don't go to the CHL.

Needs to keep changing - We lost Avon Old Farms Commit Liam Murphy to QMJHL (granted I don't think he was on a National Team).

Reaction Score
Needs to keep changing - We lost Avon Old Farms Commit Liam Murphy to QMJHL (granted I don't think he was on a National Team).
He was part of the Select-16 program.

Reaction Score
LOL - so did you just debunk your own statement that NTDP kids don't go to CHL?
I just sort of follow the team that plays other colleges. Was referring to that level.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom