October UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

October UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Blue Star has inexplicably not had Aaliyah Edwards ranked in the 2020 class. Today they noted her commitment to UConn and gave her a 300 ranking.

giphy.gif

Wow! She must not be very good at all. Maybe the coaching staff has lost it's ability to correctly evaluate.:(

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Blue Star has inexplicably not had Aaliyah Edwards ranked in the 2020 class. Today they noted her commitment to UConn and gave her a 300 ranking.

giphy.gif

This is probably due to her being international and so Blue Star not being able to assess her in person. Alanna Smith, our recently graduated All-American, was recruited from Australia, and so she was also deemed to be whatever the default unranked ranking was by almost all of the major recruiting services, which was comical, because those in the know knew she was at least among the 25 best incoming frosh. I wouldn't sweat it because honestly, once you've seen film and she's committed, why the h3ck should you care what the recruit rankings say? She'll prove her worth on the court for the next four seasons. As far as I'm concerned, recruiting rankings/assessments are useful to identify who fans should hope are offered/enroll, so they cease to have value once a player commits.

ETA: Note how Muhl is also assessed the default 90 by ESPN and is rated as UConn's lowest rated commit for the 2020 class, which is how they handle almost all non-Canadian recruits (and even some lesser recruited Canadians). Anyone who has seen a single highlight reel of Muhl knows that rating her a 90 is LOL-worthy.

Tl;dr? Ignore recruiting ratings for international recruits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also watched Paige's games and I believe that half of the fun was watching all of her tricks that she used to befuddle the opposing team. They didn't know what she would do and when they played off she would hit her shots and when they tried to defend she would seem to find the open teammate for the easy one. Those I would call tricks and we were allowed to watch the treats that she dished out. I can't wait for here to do the same at UConn. She has to do her tricks for us to get our treat watching her magic.:cool::cool:

What Branch is your Daughter? Tell them both thanks for their service for me.
[/Q
She's now retired, disability, but trained in many sections, units, divisions--she's an Engineer and ended in the Engineer Corp. Some former Army denied she could have done what she did--but the truth is the truth. As a former CT Army NG and Navy, no one knows everything about all branches of the services in which they serve. But that was a year or 3 ago. No one knows what the top brass will allow even if you were one at some time.

Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Motivation for Ms Edwards and Uconn.
Truth of life and fact of UConn is WE DON"T CARE where she is ranked--it's how she plays for Geno that counts. Take that ranking and put it in a very dark place, where the sun doesn't shine.

Reaction Score
Coco, I couldn’t agree more. Somewhere back in this thread I posted what was intended to be a joke, complete with emogee :rolleyes: in response to Cat’s post. Subsequently, Sivad, DaBall & now you have followed up with questions, comments and/or outrage that I would raise the subject in the first place.

I should know better. Sometimes my humor can be lost on some of the folks around here.
I'm the most dense brained BY poster and Emoji's mean little--can't always tell what they mean. Maybe put (JOKE) after the comment then my density may turn to mush (it's normal state).

Reaction Score
I also watched Paige's games and I believe that half of the fun was watching all of her tricks that she used to befuddle the opposing team. They didn't know what she would do and when they played off she would hit her shots and when they tried to defend she would seem to find the open teammate for the easy one. Those I would call tricks and we were allowed to watch the treats that she dished out. I can't wait for here to do the same at UConn. She has to do her tricks for us to get our treat watching her magic.:cool::cool:

What Branch is your Daughter? Tell them both thanks for their service for me.
Sarg: I guess it's how you see it. Your tricks I see as using her athletic body and brain to overwhelm/overcome the opponents. Semantics--probably, mostly just how we see it differently with the same results---Tricks if you want I accept your point of view, while I keeping mine. That's the BY WAY.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Count me as another who can't muster much outrage about the recruitment service rankings, whether it's player or class rankings. I couldn't care less about whether UConn gets the "glory" of having the #1 ranked recruiting class.

I get that the anticipation is part of the fun — and I'm just as thrilled as the next guy to see Edwards choose UConn — but we've all seen that not every highly regarded recruit pans out or stays put. A look at the top 3 recruiting classes from two years ago serves as a cautionary tale:

1. Tennessee: #2 Westbrook, #7 Hayes, #12 Davis, #57 Kushkituah. Hayes was kicked off the team after one year, and Westbrook transferred after two.
2. UConn: #1 Walker, #13 Coombs, #16 Espinoza, #29 Gordon. No need to rehash the particulars here.
3. Texas: #3 Patterson, #4 Boothe, #33 Littleton. One of the biggest recruiting-class busts in history. Patterson and Boothe played only minimally before transferring. Littleton was a modest contributor off the bench in her sophomore year before transferring.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is probably due to her being international and so Blue Star not being able to assess her in person.

It's certainly possible that Blue Star doesn't scout non-Americans though I'm pretty sure they had Lattimore in their top-10 at one point. And they definitely had Amihere in their top-10 but have removed her too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts on 'rankings' for college players:
1. No one is making a killing providing rankings of HS women's basketball players, and the owners of the services aren't paying their limited staffs a whole lot of money either. In general the sum total of people doing the 'rankings' make it to major HS tournaments where they can see a lot of players in a few days and then a minute fraction of local HS games. They get limited video review of other games and highlight reels for limited numbers of players. The field of HS players vs. the actual total hours of exposure to people ranking them is very small. Most of the viewing is focused on the top fifty players and the drop off from top ten to next ten to next ten, etc. is dramatic - players selected by USA basketball get a bump in exposure, players at the trials for USA get a smaller bump.

2. International players get almost no exposure to the rankers outside of international team (age restricted or otherwise) competitions. It is better for Canadian HS players and drops off dramatically for any other nationality. It wasn't many years ago that no service was ranking international HS kids.

3. There are two different and somewhat opposing views on how to rank HS players: 1) How they compare to their fellow HS players at this level of competition, vs. 2) How will they develop at the college level and compete against a significantly different pool of opponents and integrate with considerably better teammates.

4. Added to the above points of 'inaccuracy' in ranking HS players is the biggest issue - the viewing window for these players is from age 13-17 or thereabouts. These 'children' are still undergoing considerable mental and physical change and maturation and their development into adults will continue for their time in college. The changes mentally and physical from 13-21 for human are greater during these years than for any future eight year stretch in their lives and will significantly change the skill and mental make-up of anyone who pursues a sport. And of course that development curve varies dramatically with each individual.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Hopkins practice has started which means we get to enjoy the Paige show:

I'm going to enjoy watching her next year with UConn going to the Big East they should be on National TV more than what they will be this season. I just hope that when SNY is covering them I can watch it live, if not I'll watch after it's posted on the BY.

Reaction Score
I'm going to enjoy watching her next year with UConn going to the Big East they should be on National TV more than what they will be this season. I just hope that when SNY is covering them I can watch it live, if not I'll watch after it's posted on the BY.

Why do you think they will be on National TV more in the Big East? We are not even sure SNY will have rights to carry games next year are we?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Why do you think they will be on National TV more in the Big East? We are not even sure SNY will have rights to carry games next year are we?
Because last year I watched more live Big East WCBB then I could watch live AAC WCBB and most of the AAC were UConn games on ESPN, FOX, or CBS. FOX has first dibs on Big East, CBS second, with maybe a few on ESPN. I believe SNY is currently negotiating with FOX just like they have with ESPN for rights to games and FOX would be a fool not to take it since they HAVE to renegotiate the current contract with BIG East because of UConn coming into the league.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is probably due to her (Aaliyah) being international and so Blue Star not being able to assess her in person.
Aaliyah's AAU team played at Boo Williams in both 2018 & 2019. Blue Star, ProspectsNation, Hoopgurlz & ASGR were all present.

Reaction Score
Why do we care what they are ranked since HC Geno obviously thinks Aaliyah Edwards and other international players can play and benefit in his system. We had our share of Taurasi, Bird, Moore, Stewart and others. Geno and staff do a pretty good job evaluating talents. They are not perfect but they are much better than the rating services.

Reaction Score
Look, you can compare the rankings by so called experts with the players Geno actively recruits. That’s probably a better gauge than a few folks at ESPN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Look, you can compare the rankings by so called experts with the players Geno actively recruits. That’s probably a better gauge than a few folks at ESPN.
Not sure I'm following you here. The players Geno actively recruits is filtered by a bunch of things, primary among those things is interest in coming to UCONN. Players that Geno are not actively recruiting still have to be ranked. For example, Brooke Demetre is the #4 ranked player in the class and was not actively recruited by Geno likely because she was a heavy Stanford lean. Saylor Poffenbarger is ranked lower in the class and was actively pursued by Geno and staff. Are you saying that because Geno pursued Saylor, she is the better player and should be ranked higher? If you are I would disagree. I would say Saylor is the better player for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe was the #3 overall recruit and #1 forward in the class of '17 and I'd bet that Auriemma never even recruited her. So that comparison wouldn't work.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe was the #3 overall recruit and #1 forward in the class of '17 and I'd bet that Auriemma never even recruited her. So that comparison wouldn't work.
Rellah Boothe? Who exactly does she play for these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom