Observations on tonight's game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Observations on tonight's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Natalie Butler not playing. You have to be kidding. She is the size they do not have in the lineup. She will allow Breanna and Morgan more freedom to move. She will allow Breanna and Morgan to take less of a pounding. She will be the physical presence against teams that try to beat down Breanna because they know there's very little chance of stopping her. Louisville comes to mind, among others.

Reaction Score
A few things stood out tonight---thought I'd share my input:

1. Jefferson and Nurse make up on heck of a backcourt. Both are standouts defensively and are dynamic threats in that they can beat you off the dribble and hit from the perimeter. I don't think they're at the level of Bird/Taurasi, but I think Bird/Taurasi would have a hard time keeping up with these two. These were the two best players on the court tonight IMO.

2. Stewart was great tonight. For some reason I notice the shots she misses more than the ones she hits. I don't think of her being as efficient as a player like Jefferson or even Tuck, but she always puts up monster stat lines and makes a huge impact defensively with her length and shot blocking.

3. I'm not sure how Natalie Butler figures into this lineup when she gets healthy if Williams continues to play like she did tonight. Williams is an incredible leaper and has a great nose for rebounds. She also runs the floor well and looked much more in sync offensively. I haven't seen Butler play, but from what I gather people are hoping she'll be a Dolson 2.0. When you have a backcourt of Williams, Jefferson and Nurse along with Stewart/Tuck in the front court who can get up the court in a hurry, I don't see a real place or need for Butler. Similar to Stokes in many regards last year, where Kiah filled her role well but realistically UCONN still rolls to a title without her playing.

4. KLS did not look like the #1 recruit in the country. She could very well wind up being another KML, but she didn't show it tonight. Collier looked very good in the minutes she played. Seems to be a good team player who fills her role well and can step up but ultimately is comfortable wherever she needs to be put.

5. Tuck looked like the Tuck of last year but with a better perimeter shot.

6. UCONN as a team just overwhelms opponents and teams mentally self destruct. Once they start to struggle, teams for whatever reason just cannot get into any rhythm and seem to struggle to find that spark and extra energy to make big plays or show all out hustle. The players are so visibly deflated and don't think they have a shot to win the game, and that shows in their play. That was the case tonight after UCONN stormed ahead 24-15 and never looked back. Watching them play SC, there was a lot more intensity and passion in their play which led to a better performance. Against UCONN, it's difficult to play with that intensity and passion since UCONN gets defenses so flustered and frustrated.

7. I'll be very surprised if anyone stays within 15 points of UCONN. I think this could be their best team ever if Nurse elevates to All-American form. That was a scary dominant performance for the first game of the year.
A few things stood out tonight---thought I'd share my input:

1. Jefferson and Nurse make up on heck of a backcourt. Both are standouts defensively and are dynamic threats in that they can beat you off the dribble and hit from the perimeter. I don't think they're at the level of Bird/Taurasi, but I think Bird/Taurasi would have a hard time keeping up with these two. These were the two best players on the court tonight IMO.

2. Stewart was great tonight. For some reason I notice the shots she misses more than the ones she hits. I don't think of her being as efficient as a player like Jefferson or even Tuck, but she always puts up monster stat lines and makes a huge impact defensively with her length and shot blocking.

3. I'm not sure how Natalie Butler figures into this lineup when she gets healthy if Williams continues to play like she did tonight. Williams is an incredible leaper and has a great nose for rebounds. She also runs the floor well and looked much more in sync offensively. I haven't seen Butler play, but from what I gather people are hoping she'll be a Dolson 2.0. When you have a backcourt of Williams, Jefferson and Nurse along with Stewart/Tuck in the front court who can get up the court in a hurry, I don't see a real place or need for Butler. Similar to Stokes in many regards last year, where Kiah filled her role well but realistically UCONN still rolls to a title without her playing.

4. KLS did not look like the #1 recruit in the country. She could very well wind up being another KML, but she didn't show it tonight. Collier looked very good in the minutes she played. Seems to be a good team player who fills her role well and can step up but ultimately is comfortable wherever she needs to be put.

5. Tuck looked like the Tuck of last year but with a better perimeter shot.

6. UCONN as a team just overwhelms opponents and teams mentally self destruct. Once they start to struggle, teams for whatever reason just cannot get into any rhythm and seem to struggle to find that spark and extra energy to make big plays or show all out hustle. The players are so visibly deflated and don't think they have a shot to win the game, and that shows in their play. That was the case tonight after UCONN stormed ahead 24-15 and never looked back. Watching them play SC, there was a lot more intensity and passion in their play which led to a better performance. Against UCONN, it's difficult to play with that intensity and passion since UCONN gets defenses so flustered and frustrated.

7. I'll be very surprised if anyone stays within 15 points of UCONN. I think this could be their best team ever if Nurse elevates to All-American form. That was a scary dominant performance for the first game of the year.

You're right this team is sensational. I am sooooo impressed with Gabby because of her defense. I knew it was good but how we looked going against a terrific backcourt away from home was incredible. UCONN has now three players from guard-to--wing that are excellent in shooting the lanes for steals. Stewie is also good at it for her size - and she is also a big-time intimidator.

Do you see similarities in terms of defense/steals and intimidation to your great Tenn team with the Miques and "Boo" Randle?

And I agree this team has the potential to be the greatest team ever.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if I watched the same game as everybody else .....

My Observations:

(1) Mo also looked great as well but she looked just a little out of rhytym - but maybe it was the rest of the team was out of sync with her.

(2) When Stewie went to the bench with four fouls, they looked sloppy on offense. Way too many turnovers. When Stewie came back in, she took charge and everything started to click.

(3) I don't think anybody noted what Mo confirmed in the post game interview. Gabby moved out front on defense and Kia took KML's role.

(4) I think it was also evident on offense that the four returning starters functioned very well among themselves perhaps to the detriment of the new players by not involving them. Lou and Phee looked great on defense. But sometimes got lost on offensive sets. Understandable for freshmen. I think the upperclassman need to do more to involve the new players

1-- Maybe the team was out of rhythm - but it is 1st game and we are playing a top-tier team that already played a game, and we were playing away from home.

2--- Great for Stewie! Right?

3--- Kind of shows how awesome are defense can be for the whole season, right?

4--- My comment also relates to 1-3. All of our players including the seniors are still YOUNG bball players. And after the 1tsgame they have A LOT to work on YET they totally annihilated a top-tier team away from home. Looks like our defense in the backcourt along with defending quick wings is "settled" isn't it? Last year we had questions after Stanford. Not so this year. SO this year we need to work our offense a bit more. That's fine isn't it?

It seems like you were expecting perfection after game 1 vs a very very good team away from home. The Ohio State backcourt is probably 2nd or 3rd best in the country, aren't they? While MoJeff may have been out of rhythm havign4 assists vs to's -- she was equally spectacular sometimes taking the ball to the basket, wasn't she? And I'm looking forward seeing that pull up jumper more. Though she doesn't really to show it much.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You're right this team is sensational. I am sooooo impressed with Gabby because of her defense. I knew it was good but how we looked going against a terrific backcourt away from home was incredible. UCONN has now three players from guard-to--wing that are excellent in shooting the lanes for steals. Stewie is also good at it for her size - and she is also a big-time intimidator.

Do you see similarities in terms of defense/steals and intimidation to your great Tenn team with the Miques and "Boo" Randle?

And I agree this team has the potential to be the greatest team ever.

Potentially there are similarities there. The 1998 team pressed and pressed and pressed which led to so many turnovers and easy buckets. I'd love to see this UCONN team bring out a full court press, they have the players to run it and even if the opposing team beats the press, they are athletic enough to recover.

Reaction Score
League play is going to be very difficult to watch this year. Last year it seemed to drag on, but this year... maybe we can just skip it and go to the top 10 team games. I sure hope SNY doesn't have those stupid bank commercials again.

I can't wait for all the games. I still enjoy good thrashings when UCONN teams put their foot on someone's neck and don't let up. But I can't wait to see if Gabby can hi some outside jumpers. Imagine if she drills two or three in a row? Then the next game drop in another tow or 3 in a row? To see the pattern emerge right before your eyes - then you begin to realize the kid is going to make the pros and she is going to become an alla-Mercian and become a HUGE impact vs top tier teams offensively also in the future.

To watch Stewie (possibly the best ever at UCONN) and MoJeff (possibly best pg ever at UCONN) playing electrifying/high quality play. MoJeff exploding into the lane and getting more a knack of hitting pull-up jumpers or "rock-the-cradle" drives - going to miss that. Stewie's combo of size, athleticism and skill. Just one more year then it's gone.

Tuck - I don't if it is just me but her shot looks sooo much more fluid from 3. We could be watching her game expand from being a primary terrific low post scorer and an average perimeter shooter to something much much better.

Can we see Nurse elevate her game to the player that tore up Stewie and MoJeff?

How better defensively can Chong and Ekmark get? IMO their question isn't their offense.

What are we going to get by the end of the season from NB, KLS and NC? Potentially all extremely high impact players. Each of the three have the potential to be something obscenely tremendous.
Can NB be some hybrid of Dolson (skill) and Tina (offensive rebounding) which would put her in elite class?
Can KLS become the weapon KML was from three WHILE expanding her game to be able to score vs nearly any type of player whether it be much cloer to the basket or from 3?
Can Collier be some type of hybrid Maya but with better ball-handling without having Maya's ability to knock down 3's often and efficiently? Maybe not as strong as Maya but better laterally?
How will these three players mold into the current roster and who will have biggest impact now and for the future?

**With an eye on the future - just one lineup to look at - can it work- Nurse at pg, KLS and NC at the wings and Gabby and Nas 4/5's. Of which if Gabby's shot can improve - the possibilities have the potential to become endless.

I'm excited to see see how all of this and many other things unfold

Reaction Score
Potentially there are similarities there. The 1998 team pressed and pressed and pressed which led to so many turnovers and easy buckets. I'd love to see this UCONN team bring out a full court press, they have the players to run it and even if the opposing team beats the press, they are athletic enough to recover.

You see the potential there, right? They have that kind of ability? Geno might press 1st half then call off the dogs early on. They do have other players not supreme for a press. But can be good enough. I don't see him using it like Tenn I think he is going ot push his team to run efficient halfcourt sets as well.

Reaction Score
Hoophuskee, you are really excited as we all are. Someone pointed out on another thread, we have the potential to score 102. Are we there?

Reaction Score
Hoophuskee, you are really excited as we all are. Someone pointed out on another thread, we have the potential to score 102. Are we there?

Would it ONLY be 102? How about 152!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Reaction Score
I can't wait for all the games. I still enjoy good thrashings when UCONN teams put their foot on someone's neck and don't let up. But I can't wait to see if Gabby can hi some outside jumpers. Imagine if she drills two or three in a row? Then the next game drop in another tow or 3 in a row? To see the pattern emerge right before your eyes - then you begin to realize the kid is going to make the pros and she is going to become an alla-Mercian and become a HUGE impact vs top tier teams offensively also in the future.

To watch Stewie (possibly the best ever at UCONN) and MoJeff (possibly best pg ever at UCONN) playing electrifying/high quality play. MoJeff exploding into the lane and getting more a knack of hitting pull-up jumpers or "rock-the-cradle" drives - going to miss that. Stewie's combo of size, athleticism and skill. Just one more year then it's gone.

Tuck - I don't if it is just me but her shot looks sooo much more fluid from 3. We could be watching her game expand from being a primary terrific low post scorer and an average perimeter shooter to something much much better.

Can we see Nurse elevate her game to the player that tore up Stewie and MoJeff?

How better defensively can Chong and Ekmark get? IMO their question isn't their offense.

What are we going to get by the end of the season from NB, KLS and NC? Potentially all extremely high impact players. Each of the three have the potential to be something obscenely tremendous.
Can NB be some hybrid of Dolson (skill) and Tina (offensive rebounding) which would put her in elite class?
Can KLS become the weapon KML was from three WHILE expanding her game to be able to score vs nearly any type of player whether it be much cloer to the basket or from 3?
Can Collier be some type of hybrid Maya but with better ball-handling without having Maya's ability to knock down 3's often and efficiently? Maybe not as strong as Maya but better laterally?
How will these three players mold into the current roster and who will have biggest impact now and for the future?

**With an eye on the future - just one lineup to look at - can it work- Nurse at pg, KLS and NC at the wings and Gabby and Nas 4/5's. Of which if Gabby's shot can improve - the possibilities have the potential to become endless.

I'm excited to see see how all of this and many other things unfold
Still don't want to sit through all those stupid SNY bank commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom