Observations on tonight's game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Observations on tonight's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
When UConn went up 33-18 you could see a change in their attitude and effort. A couple of the talking heads made that same observation. That's the moment in my mind where they threw in the towel.
I don't seek out the UCONN women but I'll watch a game if it's on. From the bits and pieces I saw last night, OSU lost that game as soon as the came out for warm ups. They were intimidated on their own floor. UCONN completely outclassed the #6 team in the country. They were at least a step slower and woefully unprepared. It was painfully obvious during UCONN'S 20-6 run to close out the half.
Don't necessarily disagree but...

UCONN jumped out to a 14-4 lead and OSU then rattled off 9 straight points to cut it to 14-13. Near that point, Mitchell picked up her 2nd foul and sat the rest of the quarter (not sure if she sat out the half). In fairness, OSU came out much stronger in the 3rd quarter and "only" lost it 24-21. Their 2nd and 4th quarters were a total disaster.

As someone pointed out in the game thread (forget who but want to give credit where it's due), McGuff needs to teach offense. Having a player create their own shot (like Mitchell usually does and like Cooper did last night) might work against lesser opponents (yes, even against a team like SC), but it simply won't work against a "team" like UCONN. If McGuff is smart, he'll figure out a way to play more like the UCONN's and ND's of the world and less like most of the rest of WCBB...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I guess we watched different games last season. I'm not going to be silly enough to project any one game that UConn would have definitely lost without Kiah going in to disrupt the opponents. In many games last year, Kiah went in midway in the first half with UConn in a very tough situation and not looking good, then suddenly they're up by 20. You can say they would have won all those games, but Stanford is the prime example of what can happen when you let a team hang around. But what-ifs are silly to ask about because no one can prove anything, and generally made-up minds tend not to be open to facts.

Secondly, on the "UConn was significantly better offensively without Kiah," that's just ludicrous. As noted, how many times did Kiah come into the lineup and suddenly UConn was running away with the game after an avalanche of scoring, even though Kiah sometimes didn't contribute a single basket? Why? Obviously that is the way basketball works, a game-changer like Kiah comes in and the opponent is stretched in many ways that opens the door for a MoJeff bucket, a Stewie layup, a KML open look bomb.

Even if all Kiah did on the offensive end during a 5 minute 20 point UConn run was to tip a ball to a teammate to keep it alive, if you are a knowledgeable UConn fan you should still give her some credit for the UConn onslaught and not just say, "Oh, it's just a coincidence that the score went from 20-18 to 40-18 in the time she was out there." That's what +\- numbers are about, because some fans will just say, "Player A is the best offensive player in the country because she scored 20 ppg even though she shot 44%, while Player B is a drain on her team's offense because she scored 4.5 ppg even though she shot 57% and was a key player in a lot of her teams big scoring runs."

In basketball, you really need to look beyond ppg and observe the bigger picture of how a team plays in different situations.

Stokes may have been on the court when UCONN went on many of their runs, but I don't doubt for a minute that UCONN goes on the same run with Tuck/Stewart/whoever else on the floor instead and Stokes on the bench in that situation..

You also misquoted me, I didn't say UCONN was significantly better offensively without Stokes, I said individually each player in the starting 5 was a much better offensive player than Stokes. It's now getting ticky tacky and off point, by my original point is that from what I saw last night, UCONN's best line up will be one with Williams on the floor causing havoc for opposing teams and that Butler slides in better as a role player off the bench bringing a different dimension and provides relief for the starters.

Reaction Score
A few things stood out tonight---thought I'd share my input:

6. UCONN as a team just overwhelms opponents and teams mentally self destruct...

#6 is an excellent point. Ohio State put themselves in the hole with a series of lazy, soft passes and moves to the basket that just does not work against a UConn defense that is easily the most intense in college basketball. The defense is disciplined and comes after you wave after wave with not relenting. They were ready to pack it up by half time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Regardless of who starts or who comes off the bench and it what order, there is one constant - Intensity!

UCONN does not take a play off on either offense or defense. They play full out 40 minutes of basketball. They intend to win every possession. If you watched last night's game, OSU gave it up late in the second quarter. ANd the girls are in excellent condition to run all night.

Until teams like OSU and others emulate what UCONN does, the results will be the same night in and night out. So far, only ND has come close. And in the really big games, ND has come up short.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Ms. Collier already looks like a fine 6th-person insert.
Gabby had her double-double, including the top rebound score of 11, in just 22 minutes. She will drop our jaws this year.
I see no problem with Natalie not starting, filling a Kiah type role this year. She'll then have 2 years as a starter, with projected more offense than Kiah. This squad is downright sacred.
Hmm . . . "sacred," Cardinal? I know they're good kids . . .

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I remember how good Stewie looked in her first several games in 2012-13, and how much she faded later. And then I felt her emerge just a little in the second half of the BET championship game. Subsequently, she had a fine run of four games into the national semis. And THEN the Breanna Stewart she'd been hyped to be emerged so fully she took off like a rocket.

I'm not saying KLS=Stewie. I'm saying recruits/freshmen like her take some time. Maybe she hits the "freshman wall" even to start the season, and maybe she'll look all-world to finish it...

Reaction Score
In my twenty plus years of watching the UCONN women, I don't remember seeing a team as fast and as doggedly persistent on defense as what we witnessed last night.

I'm one of the group that asserted all summer that Natalie Butler was the obvious candidate to fill the fifth starter spot on the roster, and I still feel that she was the obvious fifth starter candidate but Gabby's performance against OSU was startling. She was everywhere. Coupled with Moriah she was frightening.

Before the game we heard about just how fast the Buckeye guards were and how they would be hard to stop, but honestly, they and their teammates looked as if they were wearing lead sneakers on a few of those plays.

Butler will be essential against our taller opponents, and there is no reason to suppose anything else, but last night as a UCONN fan I was stunned at what was happening on court. A forty-four point victory with five weapons on the court, anyone of which who can carry a team for long stretches (Mo had twenty-one when Stewie had eight, and then Mo passed the ball for the second half and Stewie wound up with twenty-four) has got to send shudders through our future opponents' coaching staffs.

I happily admit that I didn't expect to see what happened last night. Even Geno in his comments afterward said that the girls didn't perform like a team that was playing their first game of the season.

It is only one game, but boy what a game it was.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stokes may have been on the court when UCONN went on many of their runs, but I don't doubt for a minute that UCONN goes on the same run with Tuck/Stewart/whoever else on the floor instead and Stokes on the bench in that situation..

You also misquoted me, I didn't say UCONN was significantly better offensively without Stokes, I said individually each player in the starting 5 was a much better offensive player than Stokes. It's now getting ticky tacky and off point, by my original point is that from what I saw last night, UCONN's best line up will be one with Williams on the floor causing havoc for opposing teams and that Butler slides in better as a role player off the bench bringing a different dimension and provides relief for the starters.
The points you brought up about last night's game are very good, and even last year there were times when UConn O looked incredible because of Gabby's incredible talents everywhere except at the FT line. But again, there were many times last year when UConn actually was not rolling and were actually stuck and in some danger until Kiah entered the game and both the defense and offense took off, and then UConn was on a roll. Whether they would have rolled to a title without her or maybe had another Stanford game waiting down the road is impossible to say now. But she had a massive effect on the offense last year. As seen last night, UConn's defense is often the key to its offense, and when you have a Kiah-type player in there, every teammate on the floor has their production elevated.

Take a situation for a hypothetical team (not UConn last year, but somewhat very distantly related) where the five starters play at maybe a C+ level on offense. But whenever the coach substitutes in the 6th man who averages 1.0 ppg, somehow the team always goes on a scoring tear and the players are all playing at an A level. So who's the most important offensive player on the team? Clearly that 6th man. It may be picks, offensive rebounds, high post assists, and opponents scared crapless of her, but she's the key on O.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if I watched the same game as everybody else .....

My Observations:

The team played terrific defense. The freshmen showed excellent defensive skills and blended well in to the defensive scheme.

Stewie looked fantastic. Mo also looked great as well but she looked just a little out of rhytym - but maybe it was the rest of the team was out of sync with her.

When Stewie went to the bench with four fouls, they looked sloppy on offense. Way too many turnovers. When Stewie came back in, she took charge and everything started to click.

I don't think anybody noted what Mo confirmed in the post game interview...... Gabby moved out front on defense and Kia took KML's role.

I think it was also evident on offense that the four returning starters functioned very well among themselves perhaps to the detriment of the new players by not involving them. Lou and Phee looked great on defense. But sometimes got lost on offensive sets. Understandable for freshmen. I think the upperclassman need to do more to involve the new players

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One tiny unnoticed moment:

When I think of Shea (not knowing her...just observing her appearance on the bench mostly through TV coverage), I think of one of the most intense woman I've ever encountered. Virtually throughout, a most concentrated, concerned, visage.

And yet

Just prior to the start of yesterday's festivities, as the team broke huddle, Shea gave someone (all?) the most maternal smile I've just about ever seen. So striking in contrast to her more usual expressions.

This woman is more complex than I imagined.
When Shea seems that the team has matched or exceeded her level of determination, she relaxes into a smile.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

My Observations:

The team played terrific defense. The freshmen showed excellent defensive skills and blended well in to the defensive scheme.

Stewie looked fantastic. Mo also looked great as well but she looked just a little out of rhytym - but maybe it was the rest of the team was out of sync with her.

When Stewie went to the bench with four fouls, they looked sloppy on offense. Way too many turnovers. When Stewie came back in, she took charge and everything started to click.

I don't think anybody noted what Mo confirmed in the post game interview. Gabby moved out front on defense and Kia took KML's role.

I think it was also evident on offense that the four returning starters functioned very well among themselves perhaps to the detriment of the new players by not involving them. Lou and Phee looked great on defense. But sometimes got lost on offensive sets. Understandable for freshmen. I think the upperclassman need to do more to involve the new players

When Stewart went to the bench UCONN was up by 24. When she came back in UCONN was up by more than 30. The offense won't run as smooth without her, but it did just fine yesterday.

Reaction Score
When Stewart went to the bench UCONN was up by 24. When she came back in UCONN was up by more than 30. The offense won't run as smooth without her, but it did just fine yesterday.

Stewie sub out at 6:25 in 3rd quarter the score 59 - 35 (diff 24)
Stewie sub in at 8:31 in the 4th quarter and the score 76 - 50 (diff 26)
Stewie sub out 3:21 in the 4th quarter and the score 92 - 52 (diff 40)

When Stewie came in the team went on a 16 - 2 run in a little over 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
Collier, Gabby and Nurse are the future of Husky Basketball.
Very impressive. Great foundation for NC 12+.
I know there are others too, but I was very happy looking ahead.

Reaction Score
i would like to see how Natalie is folded into the offense..... will the offense run through her as it did with stefanie..... or will she play a classic post....

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stewie sub out at 6:25 in 3rd quarter the score 59 - 35 (diff 24)
Stewie sub in at 8:31 in the 4th quarter and the score 76 - 50 (diff 26)
Stewie sub out 3:21 in the 4th quarter and the score 92 - 52 (diff 40)

When Stewie came in the team went on a 16 - 2 run in a little over 5 minutes.
Well that shows the importance of giving Stewie a breather. The announcers were remarking on how anxious looking she seemed to get back in the game, and when she did she made up for lost time by exploding for 9 quick points, an assist, and a rebound. Release the Kraken!

Reaction Score
Butler AVERAGED a double double as a freshman so with a year of seasoning at Uconn she should be a good rebounder with the muscle to own the paint and to score efficiently around the basket. For teams like SC that have great size having that kind of offensive and defensive presence will be a big help - against them with Stewart sitting with 4 fouls, it could be a big problem for us without Butler.
Word is Lou had some illness tonight, but thought she and Collier both played well - looking forward to her first 5-6 from three which will come, but they both saw good minutes in this game which should help them. Collier actually reminds me of Tuck.
#6 is very true for most teams, especially those seeing uconn for the first time - it has been something like 20 years since a first time opponent has beaten Uconn. It is one reason why teams like SC want to get us on their schedule - familiarity is the first step to learning how to deal with that pressure. Good move by OSU, they aren't ready yet, but ...

Butler is important for one more reason: having her in the post takes a lot of pressure off Stewart as well as wear and tear on Bre's body. Natalie can rebound, score some, but how's her passing? That was Stef's genius.

Reaction Score
I missed UConn WBB so damn much; it's wonderful to finally see them back in action. Just watched the replay. Again. And the BYers have made so many excellent observations. As far as I'm concerned every kid played great, especially considering it was the first real game. Very little to add but one exciting comment from Stephanie
White, who isn't given to hyperbole, which I haven't seen mentioned...

As a WNBA coach, White certainly knows talent. She compared Stewie's skill set to that of the great Lauren Jackson, but added that "Stewart is much more athletic. She has the potential to become one of the greatest that's ever played this game."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Butler is important for one more reason: having her in the post takes a lot of pressure off Stewart as well as wear and tear on Bre's body. Natalie can rebound, score some, but how's her passing? That was Stef's genius.
Based on what we've seen from Stef and read about Natalie, I think that Natalie is a better rebounder at the same stage of her career. I think that Stef was a slightly better shooter. I don't expect Natalie to be the passer that Stef was, because Stef was exceptional for a post. If senior Natalie can be as good as sophomore Stefanie, we'll be very happy. I think she can do that and perhaps more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Collier, Gabby and Nurse are the future of Husky Basketball.
Very impressive. Great foundation for NC 12+.
I know there are others too, but I was very happy looking ahead.
I think that Lou is also a huge key, as is Crystal. We haven't seen Natalie or De'Janae yet, but hopefully one of them will be a star. In terms of Gabby and Kia, both clearly have All-American potential. Getting 2 AAs in the same academic class is stellar.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A few things stood out tonight---thought I'd share my input:

7. I'll be very surprised if anyone stays within 15 points of UCONN. I think this could be their best team ever if Nurse elevates to All-American form. That was a scary dominant performance for the first game of the year.

In a perfect world (and setting), I might agree with you. IF the Huskies can remain free of injury throughout the season, I will agree.
I wanted to post a comment about my prediction of the outcome of the Ohio State game, but I was so busy packing for a brief road trip, I didn't have time.

I didn't think OS would crack the 60 point barrier, let along score 80. I figured UConn's defense would hold to a final score in the 50's.
UConn held most to their opponents to under 60 points last season. Only 2 reached 70 (Stanford & USF). Most teams will find it difficult to score 70.

I also figured UConn would score "at will" against the Cornhuskers. They simply don't have the personnel to stop UConn. I figured it would get ugly before the half. I didn't see it getting away from Ohio State that fast. Enjoyed the game. A great start to what should be a fun and record breaking season. Go Huskies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

My Observations:

I don't think anybody noted what Mo confirmed in the post game interview. Gabby moved out front on defense and Kia took KML's role.

First game of the year, against a top 10 team, on the road, with the freshmen getting 33 combined minutes - I'm really good with the result.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
huskyd said:

Yep - and I would add the jumper from the high post was also part of her genius. Kept the D honest so cutters could get to the hoop, and/or Stef could work the hi-low. She was just perfect for that Offense

Reaction Score
League play is going to be very difficult to watch this year. Last year it seemed to drag on, but this year... maybe we can just skip it and go to the top 10 team games. I sure hope SNY doesn't have those stupid bank commercials again.

Reaction Score
Being a cord cutter (my wife's doing) I did not get a chance to see the game live. But I enjoyed the first half last night via uconnhuskygames.com. Agree with many posters about how well gabby and mo played d at the top of the zone. Got the OSU gaurds out of sync at the very beginning. And then I thought Kia made two huge plays by going agressively right at Mitchell before she got settled, and put her out of the game for several minutes with foul trouble. While OSU had a good run without her, I don't think they are nearly as dangerous with her out, or in and cautious.

I have to think Shea and geno might have suggested this? Either way, what a weapon to have - fearless, agressive and great body control. Kind of reminds me of that kid a few yrs back from south bend, without the pout of course.

Looking forward to the 2nd half!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc