NY Post Big East basketball-only schools to split from rest of conference: source | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Post Big East basketball-only schools to split from rest of conference: source

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

First, we lose to Iowa State in the round of 32, knowing the next year the APR scores would keep us out of the tournament.
Then, the season was over, and the depression started.
Next, Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond declared for the Draft.
Next, Alex Oriakhi said he was transferring.
Next, Roscoe Smith and Mike Bradley said they were transferring.
Next, Coach Calhoun said he was retiring.
Next, the season started.
Next, we lost Xavier Rathan Mayes as a recruit
Next, we lost Brandon Austin as a recruit.
Next, we lost Jordan Bell as a recruit.
Next, we had sparked interest from Jabari Parker, Noah Vonleh, and Isaac Hamilton, but sure enough they quickly jumped off the UConn ship.
Next, there's an opening in the ACC, and we don't get it
Next, there remaining 7 catholic schools in the Big East declare they're leaving, yet we are staying.
Next, I am sitting here disgusted, wondering what is going wrong with the program that I've loved my whole life, and why is Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst still in charge of this school? I attended the '99 '04 and '11 final fours. But for what? To one day see the program blow up in its own face? This is absolutely sickening, and makes me wonder about our future. I want to see more titles, I want to see more future NBA stars, and I want to see the growth of our state continue through our basketball program. We ARE a top 10 basketball program school, and we ARE UConn. Why is this happening and when will this be resolved?

Reaction Score
There will be 80 football/hoops schools in a non NCAA super conference. UConn will be one of them. The remaining hoop only schools will be relegated to D-1AA.
The NCAA will be about as relevant as the ECAC is today. It might take 5 years, or more. But, it will happen.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
But unless UConn lands in the ACC or B!G it will be very hard to get anything decent put together for football and basketball will be really bad.

EAST
UConn
Cincinnati
Temple
ECU (All Sports Invitation)
USF
UCF

WEST
Memphis
Boise (All Sports Invitation)
SDSU (All Sports Invitation)
SMU
Houston
Tulane

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
First, we lose to Iowa State in the round of 32, knowing the next year the APR scores would keep us out of the tournament.
Then, the season was over, and the depression started.
Next, Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond declared for the Draft.
Next, Alex Oriakhi said he was transferring.
Next, Roscoe Smith and Mike Bradley said they were transferring.
Next, Coach Calhoun said he was retiring.
Next, the season started.
Next, we lost Xavier Rathan Mayes as a recruit
Next, we lost Brandon Austin as a recruit.
Next, we lost Jordan Bell as a recruit.
Next, we had sparked interest from Jabari Parker, Noah Vonleh, and Isaac Hamilton, but sure enough they quickly jumped off the UConn ship.
Next, there's an opening in the ACC, and we don't get it
Next, there remaining 7 catholic schools in the Big East declare they're leaving, yet we are staying.
Next, I am sitting here disgusted, wondering what is going wrong with the program that I've loved my whole life, and why is Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst still in charge of this school? I attended the '99 '04 and '11 final fours. But for what? To one day see the program blow up in its own face? This is absolutely sickening, and makes me wonder about our future. I want to see more titles, I want to see more future NBA stars, and I want to see the growth of our state continue through our basketball program. We ARE a top 10 basketball program school, and we ARE UConn. Why is this happening and when will this be resolved?

http://www.uconnball.com/content/conference-realignment-woes-451/

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
EAST
UConn
Cincinnati
Temple
ECU (All Sports Invitation)
USF
UCF

WEST
Memphis
Boise (All Sports Invitation)
SDSU (All Sports Invitation)
SMU
Houston
Tulane

On the Women's side only UConn is ranked. USF is bubbling under in the Coaches poll.
On the men's side Cincy and SDSU are ranked. UConn is bubbling under in both polls.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
On the Women's side only UConn is ranked. USF is bubbling under in the Coaches poll.
On the men's side Cincy and SDSU are ranked. UConn is bubbling under in both polls.

For this year.

UConn will always be ranked (hopefully). Cincinnati dips in and out every couple years. Same thing with Memphis. Everyone else is a scrub.

Reaction Score
So you're giving up on ever being invited to the ACC?

Can I ask what I hope is not an naive or unreasonable question? The basketball fan in me would love to have Puke,Carolina etc. on the schedule every year. And to continue to have games with Pitt,Syracuse and Louisville. It would be hoops heaven. BUT(and some of this is protracted carryover from '99 and those p***ks from Dook walking around Tropicana Field with the "Duke and The Final Three Buttons" along with the pre-crowning of the champions by most media outlets) why do we want to act like junkyard (lap) dogs after the ACC essentially treated us like a guaranteed insurance policy if some of their teams leave. Basically told us to stand in the corner and wait. They'd get to us when the time was right. I would love to see Herbst and Manual court other options like the Big 10 and tell Swofford and the rest of those arrogant twits to duckk off. In fact, I wish we didn't have a damn football program and could stick with the basketball only schools. THAT, would be fun!!! :)

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE HAWKS!!!

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
And there was a post before about the "new" Big East divisions. The only reason Boise St, Houston, SDSU, and SMU joined was to become a BCS auto-qualifier. Now that the playoff system is being implemented after next season, the Big East is irrelevant in football. And since the Catholic schools just left, guess what?

THEY ARE GOING BACK TO THE MWC. The Big East will have a nice cozy conference of Temple, USF, Cincy, UConn, Tulane, Memphis, East Carolina (probably), and New York Public High School #44.

Reaction Score
Can I ask what I hope is not an naive or unreasonable question? The basketball fan in me would love to have Puke,Carolina etc. on the schedule every year. And to continue to have games with Pitt,Syracuse and Louisville. It would be hoops heaven. BUT(and some of this is protracted carryover from '99 and those p***ks from Dook walking around Tropicana Field with the "Duke and The Final Three Buttons" along with the pre-crowning of the champions by most media outlets) why do we want to act like junkyard (lap) dogs after the ACC essentially treated us like a guaranteed insurance policy if some of their teams leave. Basically told us to stand in the corner and wait. They'd get to us when the time was right. I would love to see Herbst and Manual court other options like the Big 10 and tell Swofford and the rest of those arrogant twits to duckk off. In fact, I wish we didn't have a damn football program and could stick with the basketball only schools. THAT, would be fun!!! :)

1. The ACC is likely to lose teams eventually. When it does, the B1G will choose which ones it wants most. Forget about the B1G.

2. The prospect of being in a glorified A10 forever is going to hurt Uconn basketball.

3. Uconn doesn't have options. It's either choose #2, or hope for #1 (which is probably better than a 50/50 proposition).

Reaction Score
And there was a post before about the "new" Big East divisions. The only reason Boise St, Houston, SDSU, and SMU joined was to become a BCS auto-qualifier. Now that the playoff system is being implemented after next season, the Big East is irrelevant in football. And since the Catholic schools just left, guess what?

THEY ARE GOING BACK TO THE MWC. The Big East will have a nice cozy conference of Temple, USF, Cincy, UConn, Tulane, Memphis, East Carolina (probably), and New York Public High School #44.

They already had a chance to go back to the MWC after the BE football schools left for the ACC, and they decided to stick with the BE instead even though the BE was losing its AQ.

Why did they do this?

Because of $$$.

Would they make the same decision after the break up of basketball?

I'm sure Boise st. would since bball is irrelevant for them. The question is, does SMU and the like stay without basketball?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
1. The ACC is likely to lose teams eventually. When it does, the B1G will choose which ones it wants most. Forget about the B1G.

2. The prospect of being in a glorified A10 forever is going to hurt Uconn basketball.

3. Uconn doesn't have options. It's either choose #2, or hope for #1 (which is probably better than a 50/50 proposition).

The ACC will lose two team, and that will open up 1 basketball slot. Notre Dame is a basketball member now. So that leaves one team to create an even number of teams. But sure, they could go for an odd number.

The Catholic schools have majority in the Big East and can claim the Big East title and the tournament at MSG. If they make a glorified conference (basketball-only), then there is a chance it will still be called the Big East.

upstater said:
They already had a chance to go back to the MWC after the BE football schools left for the ACC, and they decided to stick with the BE instead even though the BE was losing its AQ.

Why did they do this?

Because of $$$.

Would they make the same decision after the break up of basketball?

I'm sure Boise st. would since bball is irrelevant for them. The question is, does SMU and the like stay without basketball?

Logically, if there is 3 teams left in a conference, there is no money there. So I would imagine they would lose money with a 3-7 team league.

Reaction Score
The ACC will lose two team, and that will open up 1 basketball slot. Notre Dame is a basketball member now. So that leaves one team to create an even number of teams. But sure, they could go for an odd number.

The Catholic schools have majority in the Big East and can claim the Big East title and the tournament at MSG. If they make a glorified conference (basketball-only), then there is a chance it will still be called the Big East.

Logically, if there is 3 teams left in a conference, there is no money there. So I would imagine they would lose money with a 3-7 team league.

I'm really not understanding your point here. If the ACC loses teams, Uconn joins the ACC.

As for the rest regarding the Catholic schools stealing all the family valuables, I think you are mistaken.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I'm really not understanding your point here. If the ACC loses teams, Uconn joins the ACC.

As for the rest regarding the Catholic schools stealing all the family valuables, I think you are mistaken.

You may be right, I may be just babbling over this stupid issue with conference realignment. I'll try to better explain myself.

The ACC loses teams, the chances of UConn getting an invite is good. But the Big10 is expanding, so that's a possibility. But what happens if the ACC do not lose teams? UConn is screwed (unless we get an invite from the Big10).

Reaction Score

I understand the rationale; and don't really quibble with it. However, we are a 3-time national champion and multi-time, league regular season and tournament champion who have also won at places like Maui. Academically the university(both my kids are graduates with great careers) continues to enhance it's reputation around the world. And that freakin' league treats us like an afterthought. I resent it right down to my socks!! It is really hard to simply be practical under the circumstances.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I understand the rationale; and don't really quibble with it. However, we are a 3-time national champion and multi-time, league regular season and tournament champion who have also won at places like Maui. Academically the university(both my kids are graduates with great careers) continues to enhance it's reputation around the world. And that freakin' league treats us like an afterthought. I resent it right down to my socks!! It is really hard to simply be practical under the circumstances.

The way I look at it, they all turned their backs on us when we needed them. ( Boston College left for them/blocked our bid, Coach K voted against us in 2012, always treating us like crap )

It's like becoming best friends with the person who threw you under the bus. Like I said before, I'd rather rot than be apart of the Atlantic Coast Crap.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The non-FB schools are acting in their self-interest, and are rightly concerned about the diminished BB product in the league. And UCONN is a day late and dollar short on development of their FB program, and that is all that matters wrt to the power conferences. If UCONN wants to be competitive in BB, they better get busy on the football side of things.

Who asked you, buck wild?

Reaction Score

One of my first posts this morning stated, "I can understand the anger today, but if we step back and stop being butthurt..."

I will forever despise BC, FSU and the like (and Syracuse), but the Tobacco Road people wanted Uconn to join--twice. If/when UConn joins the ACC, only then will Tobacco Road set about destroying UConn's athletics program.

Reaction Score
You may be right, I may be just babbling over this stupid issue with conference realignment. I'll try to better explain myself.

The ACC loses teams, the chances of UConn getting an invite is good. But the Big10 is expanding, so that's a possibility. But what happens if the ACC do not lose teams? UConn is screwed (unless we get an invite from the Big10).

The B1G holds some potential. UConn is probably at 3% chance of being invited.
ACC is 50/50.

Reaction Score
The way I look at it, they all turned their backs on us when we needed them. ( Boston College left for them/blocked our bid, Coach K voted against us in 2012, always treating us like crap )

It's like becoming best friends with the person who threw you under the bus. Like I said before, I'd rather rot than be apart of the Atlantic Coast Crap.

Coach K.? Because someone at ESPN said so? Duke and UNC backed UConn.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
The Big Ten wants the NYC market. We offer that 100 times more than Rutgers. Rutgers doesn't even know if they can get their conference games televised for any sport because of their current local TV package.

If we get passed over by the Big10, I think the best, most honorable option would be to join that A-10 basketball league and go independent in football.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten wants the NYC market. We offer that 100 times more than Rutgers. Rutgers doesn't even know if they can get their conference games televised for any sport because of their current local TV package.

If we get passed over by the Big10, I think the best, most honorable option would be to join that A-10 basketball league and go independent in football.

You need to be put into time out. First, we are not good enough in football to thrive as an independent. Second, you would prefer playing in the same conference as UMass versus UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt? Step back from the edge of the cliff dude..........

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
You need to be put into time out. First, we are not good enough in football to thrive as an independent. Second, you would prefer playing in the same conference as UMass versus UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt? Step back from the edge of the cliff dude..........

We are already pushed off.

Reaction Score

Independent in football?? That's laughable. If a conference like the ACC wont take us for our football program, what makes you think we can find 12 halfway decent teams to play us year after year? Newsflash, as much as we may love our team we're not Notre Dame. We dont have the clout to go independent so please just let that idea die.

Reaction Score
Providence was one of the biggest problems.

I don't care what anyone says here about this becoming an eventuality, but the bball schools hedged on adding football, adding strong football schools that could have stuck it out. Many of these schools that have moved on have moved on to places that do not benefit them in the least.

I know many others have weighed in the last few days and regarded the dissolution of the BE as inevitable, but the Catholic schools have been against the expanse of football from the beginning. Even worse, some of the football schools such as Cuse and Pitt were against unequal revenue sharing (even though they offered it to Miami when Miami was already out the door). Heck, 2 years ago we heard the Catholics rejected an application by Kansas!!

In my mind, I firmly believe his could have been one of the top conferences in football, and that it would have stuck:

Miami
Penn State
BC
UConn
Syracuse
Maryland
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Rutgers

Back in the 1980s, PSU and Florida st were also talking. That wasn't out of the realm of possibility. PSU and Maryland were going around as a pair in the late 1980s. And the real wild card here would have been attracting Notre Dame with the promise that it could keep all its residuals. Miami, PSU and even ND might have looked upon such a conference as better than where they are at currently, both financially but especially in terms of sports and fit.
I've seen this argument before, but what makes you think that those teams would not have gotten poached along the way? IMO, UConn would simply have been orphaned a whole lot sooner.

At this stage, our only hope is for the B1G to eventually cherry pick a couple more ACC programs (likely UM or FSU and GT to get the FL and Atlanta Markets) and hope we get an invite sometime down the road. It's hard to believe we went from 3-times NC, including one just 2 years ago, to flat out screwed.

There are all these comments that the leadership at UConn should have made some sort of move years ago. I really don't think that even if they tried harder they would have landed anywhere. The FB program was just getting barely respectable a couple years ago. BC has been running interference since the day they joined the ACC and in no way were we anywhere close to being an attractive program for the B1G.

I think sometimes, as much as you want to blame someone, there's no one to blame. just happens and the program we all love just got dumped on.

I have one crazy thought which is probably crazy on many levels. Once the Catholic schools either leave or dissolve the Big East, UConn will no longer need to pay an exit fee. If I were the administration, I'd come crawling to the ACC and offer them a boat load of money and be willing to forfeit a piece of the ACC Pie for x number of years if they let us join them. Granted the program would take a big financial hit for a few years, but at least we'd be in a viable BB and FB conference where we would end up with more talent and more money down that road than any other alternative. Now unless the folks at UConn believe it's just a matter of when and not if, they could simply be part of some new conference made up of leftovers that are not very good in FB and/or not very good in BB to bide some time till they get that invite.

Just a few weeks ago we got out-maneuvered by UL. Now we need to simply out-pay Cinci & USF for a seat at the ACC table. For those who think we have a shot at a B1G invite, I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

If recruiting wasn't bad already, it just got a whole lot worse. I'd imagine this latest news is going to even make it harder for Geno to recruit. Forget the FB program as far as recruiting. Lastly, if EW was thinking he'd have some sort of pick of the litter when it comes to available BB Men's coaches, he's now lucky to lock up KO at this stage. If I was KO, I'd be in no hurry now to sign that contract, and wait till the spring and make EW have to outbid for him. As much as I am a UConn fan and want Ollie to be our long time coach, I would love to see EW squirm that big fat ass of his as he tries to figure out how to handle the carnage that's taking place on his watch. I hope KO ends up here and gets a huge pay-day. I'm sure he could have been had on the cheap a few months ago. Now the program is poorer and is going to have to play a boat load more to sign him. Now maybe KO, who's a man of integrity, will take the high road and simply accept a moderate deal. But I think he can hold out and get a great deal and still hold to the high heavenly standards he's been keeping to. Maximizing your opportunities to make a nice buck doesn't mean you're not acting in a Godly manner. He'd be simply taking wise approach to the situation at hand, and I hope he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom