NY Post Big East basketball-only schools to split from rest of conference: source | The Boneyard

NY Post Big East basketball-only schools to split from rest of conference: source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big East Conference, the only to send three teams to a Final Four, will announce Thursday that its non-FBS programs are splitting from their brethren, sources told The Post.
The presidents of the seven schools that don’t play big time football - DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova - are holding a teleconference with Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco Thursday and expected to issue a statement this afternoon saying that are parting ways.
The teleconference was taking place this morning, and Aresco was hoping to hold the league together. But multiple sources said the seven basketball-centric schools had had enough of the defections that had wreaked havoc on the league in the last couple of years.
It is the penultimate chapter in a story that began in 1979 when the Big East was founded, rose to prominence in the 80’s behind its basketball programs (Georgetown, St. John’s and Villanova) got the Final Four in 1985 but then saw members with FBS programs leave for richer TV deals.
Boston College began the exodus in 2003. Rutgers and Louisville left last month with the Scarlet Knights going to the Big Ten and the Cardinals going to the ACC.
It was unknown if the seven schools, which together hold a majority vote, were going to dissolve the league. That would allow them to keep the name and its contract with The Garden, where it has held its postseason tournament since 1981.
Sources said those basketball-centric schools will look to link up with teams from the Atlantic 10 - such as Butler Dayton, St. Louis and Xavier. Whether that comes in the form of a super conference with 21 teams - the seven Big East schools and the 14 A-10 schools, is unclear.
A source said the Big East was leaning towards a second option - adding schools. It wants to return to its days as a 10-12 school conference with a homogenous membership headlined by elite basketball programs in urban markets.
What is certain is that programs such as Temple, which is set to join the Big East in basketball next season, Cincinnati, Connecticut and South Florida, are in terrible limbo.
The Big East recently added a group of schools such as Boise State, Central Florida, East Carolina, Houston, San Diego State and SMU to bolster its football roster. Those schools might return to their respective conferences.
The future of St. John’s and Seton Hall is uncertain. St. John’s has a much stronger brand name and it is one of just six schools to have developed its own HDTV network than can broadcast games on television, computer and hand held devices.
With the Big East taking this step, the move to five super conferences is all but complete. There still could be some realignment - Connecticut is desperate for an invitation to the ACC. But the new map of college athletics has been drawn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
oh well. not a real surprise. UCONN, Cinci, and USF left. Time to beg harder i guess.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well this is bad. Unless we join their conference and go independent in football.

Reaction Score
I think the next step for the football teams is to work with CUSA to see who has the better TV deal and infrastructure and merge. Let the west coast teams go back to their conferences. It is obvious that the Big East now is dead as a power football conference. Focus on the FBS level football and making the basketball conference attractive. Also obvious, I still want to leave what willbe created. I just think the new conference can survive and occasionally create a great basketball and football team. You start with UConn, Cinci, Memphis (for their basketball and TV market), Temple, UCF (for their football and recruiting market) and USF. You keep the additions of SMU and Houston for their football. You may or may not have to keep Tulane and East Carolina which were, in my opinion, huge mistakes. Instead, I would have added Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, Southern Miss. and Ohio University. They all give you decent football and at least mediocre basketball which is no worse than Seton Hall or Rutgers. That gives you 12 teams. If you want to be bigger you could add some combination of Toledo, Marshall, Kent State, Rice, Ball State, UAB, Buffalo, Tulane and East Carolina. Toledo, Marshall and Kent State give you the better football teams. Rice gives you another foot in the Texas recruiting market. The others are just throw-ins althought I guess Tulane has some name recognition. Wild cards are Army and Navy. For patriotic reasons I might go with them over the likes of Toledo or Ohio. I'm, not sure where a UNC-Charlotte or ODU would fit in as I think they are just moving up to 1A.

A conference of UConn, Cinci, Memphis, Temple, UCF, USF, SMU, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, Southern Miss and Ohio isn't THAT bad while we wait for the ACC.

Reaction Score
If only college football was a separate entity from college athletics. Conceivably this could be the worst possible outcome for UConn and realignment.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I feel like I got dumped. And that could be because I did, but this is certainly not helping! I put much more time and energy into my relationship with UConn sports, and it goes back much, more further. And frankly I think this one hurts more. I feel like something I loved is going away right before my eyes.

Reaction Score
A conference of UConn, Cinci, Memphis, Temple, UCF, USF, SMU, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, Southern Miss and Ohio isn't THAT bad while we wait for the ACC.

Give me annual games against Boise st. instead.

Reaction Score
So you're giving up on ever being invited to the ACC?
I think it is time to sit back and take a deep breath. This isn't over yet with questions about UNC and BCU possibly heading to the BIG. FSU and Clemson may leave for BIG 12.
My wish is Uconn to the BIG but that is probably a pipe dream. The ACC is still a real possibility and that would be one hell of a basketball conference.

Reaction Score

Providence was one of the biggest problems.

I don't care what anyone says here about this becoming an eventuality, but the bball schools hedged on adding football, adding strong football schools that could have stuck it out. Many of these schools that have moved on have moved on to places that do not benefit them in the least.

I know many others have weighed in the last few days and regarded the dissolution of the BE as inevitable, but the Catholic schools have been against the expanse of football from the beginning. Even worse, some of the football schools such as Cuse and Pitt were against unequal revenue sharing (even though they offered it to Miami when Miami was already out the door). Heck, 2 years ago we heard the Catholics rejected an application by Kansas!!

In my mind, I firmly believe his could have been one of the top conferences in football, and that it would have stuck:

Miami
Penn State
BC
UConn
Syracuse
Maryland
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Rutgers

Back in the 1980s, PSU and Florida st were also talking. That wasn't out of the realm of possibility. PSU and Maryland were going around as a pair in the late 1980s. And the real wild card here would have been attracting Notre Dame with the promise that it could keep all its residuals. Miami, PSU and even ND might have looked upon such a conference as better than where they are at currently, both financially but especially in terms of sports and fit.

Reaction Score
It will be OK guys. We will eventually get into the ACC. Until then, UConn can lead the effort to create the best non-power conference. The "sixth-man" if you will. I gave a list of potential teams above. There are a lot of considerations to picking the conference from that list. I went with current Big East plus new additions that make sense to keep plus the next best football teams or teams that give us the best TV and/or recruiting markets. The list would be a little different if purely geography were involved. It would be nice to cover as many states from Texas to Florida to Connecticut as possible:

UConn - CT/NYC/Boston
Army - NY/NYC
Temple - PA/Phil
Navy - MD/DC/Baltimore
Cinci - Ohio/Cinci
Memphis - TN/Memphis
ODU - VA
UNC-Char - NC/Char
UAB - Alabama
Louisiana Tech - LA
Southern Miss - Miss
Tulsa - OK
SMU - TX/Dallas
Houston - TX/Houston
UCF - FL
USF - FL

That uniformly covers a large amount of the Southeast and Northeast and includes 14 states, many major TV markets, major football recruiting markets (TX, FL, LA, OK, MS, TN, OH) and major basketball recruiting markets (NYC, Phil, DC, Balt, Memphis, NC, VA, FL, TX). And if teams leave, they can add WV with Marshall or bolster their Ohio, LA or TX presence with some of the other teams mentioned earlier.

Reaction Score
The non-FB schools are acting in their self-interest, and are rightly concerned about the diminished BB product in the league. And UCONN is a day late and dollar short on development of their FB program, and that is all that matters wrt to the power conferences. If UCONN wants to be competitive in BB, they better get busy on the football side of things.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
One thing that I wonder is UConn was a bb only school in the BE at the time the contract was written. Do they have a legitimate claim to the BE.

Reaction Score
Providence was one of the biggest problems.

I don't care what anyone says here about this becoming an eventuality, but the bball schools hedged on adding football, adding strong football schools that could have stuck it out. Many of these schools that have moved on have moved on to places that do not benefit them in the least.

I know many others have weighed in the last few days and regarded the dissolution of the BE as inevitable, but the Catholic schools have been against the expanse of football from the beginning. Even worse, some of the football schools such as Cuse and Pitt were against unequal revenue sharing (even though they offered it to Miami when Miami was already out the door). Heck, 2 years ago we heard the Catholics rejected an application by Kansas!!

In my mind, I firmly believe his could have been one of the top conferences in football, and that it would have stuck:

Miami
Penn State
BC
UConn
Syracuse
Maryland
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Rutgers

Back in the 1980s, PSU and Florida st were also talking. That wasn't out of the realm of possibility. PSU and Maryland were going around as a pair in the late 1980s. And the real wild card here would have been attracting Notre Dame with the promise that it could keep all its residuals. Miami, PSU and even ND might have looked upon such a conference as better than where they are at currently, both financially but especially in terms of sports and fit.

The Big East football schools should have never formed the Big East football conference. They should have broken off and formed a new conference. We would have had the teams you mentioned above plus Kansas, as you mentioned. And we still would have added Cinci and Louisville eventually. And maybe we get Missouri too to round out a nice 14 team conference.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Whoever still wants to go the ACC is small-minded. They just threw us to the dogs not even a month ago and you still want to go there? I'd rather rot in the Big East than play with those Benedict Arnold's.

Reaction Score
Whoever still wants to go the ACC is small-minded. They just threw us to the dogs not even a month ago and you still want to go there? I'd rather rot in the Big East than play with those Benedict Arnold's.

It's definitely better to play in a mid-major conference than the best conference in the country, right?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The new NCAA media money will keep UConn aligned in a conference.

I don't see any scenario where the basketball schools would want temporary members like UConn and/or Cincy It seems like that would defeat their purpose.

Reaction Score

Your post and desire to stay in the BE out of some made up pride is the definition of being small minded.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Whatever. They don't want UConn because they know UConn wants something better.

It's the smart move for them and I don't begrudge them for it.

It doesn't really change much for us. We need to hitch onto a viable football conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whatever. They don't want UConn because they know UConn wants something better.

It's the smart move for them and I don't begrudge them for it.

It doesn't really change much for us. We need to hitch onto a viable football conference.
Don't blame them one bit. D0n't blame any of the recent defects either other than Pitt which voted down the ESPN contract increase while negotiating with the ACC. Had that contract gone through things would be very different right now.

But unless UConn lands in the ACC or B!G it will be very hard to get anything decent put together for football and basketball will be really bad.

Reaction Score
Well this is bad. Unless we join their conference and go independent in football.
Over the years, I've seen a number of posters here and on the football board, echoing sentiments about leaving the basketball only schools and creating a football only conference/sub-conference. Those wishes are coming true ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom