Notre Dame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
THIS is why I loathe them. I respect the fact that they hold their student-athletes to a higher standard and actually have them interact with the general student population. They want everyone to think they hold their student athletes to a higher standard than they actually hold them, but when all is said and done-they do a much better job of treating them like "real" students than almost all big time schools. For this, I definitely respect them.

For the first time in forever, their play actually matches the hype. Give credit where it's due, they've earned it this year.

I will never, ever respect them for the reason you note-the BE gave them a home for all their "other" sports and allowed them a platform to maintain/raise their status in all of those sports. They rarely threw the BE football schools a bone (to think of how much they benefitted for YEARS of being able to say they played UCONN in hoops for both men and women....) despite the huge benefits they reaped from playing in the BE.

I don't like gold diggers, whether they are individuals, or entire universities.

Notre Dame did what every school in this league would do. It was Syracuse and Pitt who forced their hand. They could have left at any point - but they stuck around until they were left with no choice.

I don't get why people hate Notre Dame for doing the exact same thing UConn would have done.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The biggest thing that people don't understand is that as far as half of the conference was concerned, this was primarily a basketball conference which offered other olympic sports and just happened to allow a handful of schools to use the conference's good name for football.

There was never the ability to force ND to compete in football if we could not force Seton Hall, PC, St John's or anyone else. This was in large part a conference of mercenaries (there really weren't a lot of ties between the member schools when this conference began) and every member mercenary who did take football somewhat seriously when the football portion of the BE began has since found a new home (even a school who was not a member of the conference in any sport until a few years later).

Reaction Score
Notre Dame did what every school in this league would do. It was Syracuse and Pitt who forced their hand. They could have left at any point - but they stuck around until they were left with no choice.

I don't get why people hate Notre Dame for doing the exact same thing UConn would have done.
I don't hate ND for choosing to jump ship to the ACC at this point in time. I hate the fact that for the previous decade they have benefitted hugely from their association with the BE, but have done almost nothing to reciprocate with the one thing they truly brought to the table-football. The fact that they only deigned to play UCONN once in football, with all they benefitted from playing us in hoops?! That is ridiculous.

I agree with you about any BE school (including UCONN) joining the ACC at this point in time. That's not my issue with ND.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't hate ND for choosing to jump ship to the ACC at this point in time. I hate the fact that for the previous decade they have benefitted hugely from their association with the BE, but have done almost nothing to reciprocate with the one thing they truly brought to the table-football. The fact that they only deigned to play UCONN once in football, with all they benefitted from playing us in hoops?! That is ridiculous.

I agree with you about any BE school (including UCONN) joining the ACC at this point in time. That's not my issue with ND.

The Big East benefited from Notre Dame. Bowl tie ins and ND's basketball value is completely undervalued on the Boneyard.

The fact they stayed as long as they did shows they valued the relationship. The Big East including them shows they valued the relationship. Only on message boards was it one sided.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just can't say enough about a guy like Kelly. A true difference maker as a coach. A northeast guy, and coach that can tailor his game plan to the players on his team.

He a manslaughterer, an amoral man. He should have quit after that poor kid was killed.

Reaction Score
Big East should have kicked ND out long ago. The Irish's non football sports would have suffered without a conference affiliation. ND never gave it back on the football side. As for Bowl tie-ins? The BE was a BCS conference that should have made their own tie ins. ND should never have been allowed to bump BE programs. But, hey, continue to be a ND grouper.

Reaction Score
The Big East benefited from Notre Dame. Bowl tie ins and ND's basketball value is completely undervalued on the Boneyard.

The fact they stayed as long as they did shows they valued the relationship. The Big East including them shows they valued the relationship. Only on message boards was it one sided.

The fact they stayed so long shows that the BE was hanging on against hope that maybe someday they maybe just might join the conference in football. Wasn't gonna happen. Only remote hope was if they found all other sports without a conference home. What would they have done then? Probably been forced to join some conference. If it wasn't the Big East then nothing lost since you can see where things ended up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The fact they stayed so long shows that the BE was hanging on against hope that maybe someday they maybe just might join the conference in football. Wasn't gonna happen. Only remote hope was if they found all other sports without a conference home. What would they have done then? Probably been forced to join some conference. If it wasn't the Big East then nothing lost since you can see where things ended up.

I can promise you with no doubt: no one in the Big East ever once thought Notre Dame would join in football. Commissioners, Assistant Commissioners, Secretaries, University Presidents, Athletic Directors... no one.

Reaction Score
I just hope UConn is smart and maintains great relationships with ND, SU, Pitt and all the other former conference members. In the realignment game you need as many allies as you can get. Our animosity towards BC did us no favors. We should immediately try to schedule games with these schools in all sports.

Reaction Score
He a manslaughterer, an amoral man. He should have quit after that poor kid was killed.
Maybe. But trying saying he can't coach football with a straight face.

Reaction Score

What's that, not join the Football part of the conference? Oh wait UConn did. Not give the Irish the time of day when the Huskies were National Champs in basketball. Oh wait, they were in a conference so they had to play them.

Reaction Score
I can promise you with no doubt: no one in the Big East ever once thought Notre Dame would join in football. Commissioners, Assistant Commissioners, Secretaries, University Presidents, Athletic Directors... no one.

Absolutely. As long as they could house all their other programs in a top flight conference without having their hand forced they most certainly were not gonna join for football. The question remains . . . what would ND have done all these years without a conference affiliation? Wonder if that vaunted ND women's basketball program would have been as good as an independent as it was as a rival to the UConn's women's teams.

Reaction Score
Why is everyone blaming Notre Dame? Blame the Big East for inviting them!
I dont get it! They sign a contract and everyone wants them to do more.
Blame the Big East Commissioner at the time and all those Big East members (including us) who jumped at the chance to haver that name associated with us.

pj

Reaction Score
Given that the ACC has given them a similar deal, there seems no reason to denigrate the Big East - ND deal. It was probably mutually beneficial.

Reaction Score
Let's see...we beat ND at ND. ND beats OK at OK. Hence we beat OK at OK, right?

Oh wait...never mind.

It is wierd that just 3 years ago we beat ND in their house and now look at them and then look at us. Life is so unfair.

If we had hired Brian Kelley and they had hired Paul Pasquolini, we'd be close to as good as them and they'd be close to as bad as us

Reaction Score
If we had hired Brian Kelley and they had hired Paul Pasquolini, we'd be close to as good as them and they'd be close to as bad as us
So in other words we shouldn't be expecting results like the second tour of Bill Snyder at KSU with the rehash of Syracuse 1990's that we are committed to. Next coach has to be one who is on the rise not just looking for work.

Reaction Score
So in other words we shouldn't be expecting results like the second tour of Bill Snyder at KSU with the rehash of Syracuse 1990's that we are committed to. Next coach has to be one who is on the rise not just looking for work.

I'm not sure how much of that is facetious and how much is meant literally, but if you're saying P wasn't a bad hire because bringing Snyder back wasn't a bad hire (i) as I said defending P by a blind comparison to Kent State, all situations are different, and (ii) I must have missed where Snyder was fired from K State and run out of town ahead of a posse because he had turned a good program into one that everyone around it could see was getting bad and about to get worse.

Reaction Score
Is there a UConn board somewhere around here? This seems to be a Notre Dame board.

You are currently in a thread. At the bottom or top of the screen, click the little button to get back to the UConn Football board, and you should find plenty of threads about Paul Pasqualoni.

Warning, though - you may be embarassed by some of the things you have written in them.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much of that is facetious and how much is meant literally, but if you're saying P wasn't a bad hire because bringing Snyder back wasn't a bad hire (i) as I said defending P by a blind comparison to Kent State, all situations are different, and (ii) I must have missed where Snyder was fired from K State and run out of town ahead of a posse because he had turned a good program into one that everyone around it could see was getting bad and about to get worse.

Good point, BL. Snyder's record of 9-13 over his last two season of his first tour is RADICALLY different from PP's 12-13 record over his last two seasons at SU.

Snyder's last season, he finished last in the conference and all PP could do was tie for first in his last year at SU.

And with Snyder you had to go back 3 years to get a double digit win season and with PP, it was RADICALLY worse with you having to go back 3 season to get a double digit win season.

You right. Nothing even remotely similar here.

And course Snyder had immediate success, winning 6 games in his first year back, RADICALLY better than PP's 5 wins.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Sarcasm off.

Snyder is a better coach than PP. No doubt.

But Snyder is back to being Snyder, which is Calhoun-like. I don't expect PP to get to that level, but I do expect to see PP get to his normal level, which would be an upgrade at UCONN.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sarcasm off.

Snyder is a better coach than PP. No doubt.

But Snyder is back to being Snyder, which is Calhoun-like. I don't expect PP to get to that level, but I do expect to see PP get to his normal level, which would be an upgrade at UCONN.
I'm curious as to how long you believe it should take for PP to get back to being,.. well,.... PP?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how long you believe it should take for PP to get back to being,.. well,.... PP?

Took Snyder 4 seasons. (well, 6 if you include his last two years before he left)

I think PP will have us back in year 4.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

And apparently, if you hire Edsall, you do worse than either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom