Not This Season Brenda, Not Next Either | The Boneyard

Not This Season Brenda, Not Next Either

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You will recall Brenda Frese's post game one liner about how when Geno gets down to 5 HS All Americans he'll have to "coach like the rest of us." The recruiting success with Kia Nurse suggests that Brenda better not be holding her breath on that one. As Kia's quote in the Hamilton Scores article in today's media reports demonstrates, the advantage that Brenda was alluding to has been earned by the consistent excellence of the program that Geno and Chris and a whole host of motivated staff have developed over a 2 decade plus period. You can bet that Ontario media is not abuzz with WCBB news, yet Kia Nurse has dreamed of playing at U Conn since she was a 7th grader. That is powerful stuff. Her father underlined Geno's international coaching prowess as a pivotal factor too. Tony's consistent refrain about U Conn being the place to go if you want to take your game as far as it can go...well, it's a consistent refrain 'cuz it is true, demonstrated by one great graduate after another. That body of work has high visibility internationally. Other schools may make promises, Geno can sit in a living room and talk about history (read "facts"). The "business" of U Conn basketball has tremendous "good will" and it pays dividends every year.

U Conn came to the party late in Nurse's recruitment, but having decided to pursue her Geno put the press on and it worked. Looking forward to watching her in a U Conn jersey for 4 strong years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You will recall Brenda Frese's post game one liner about how when Geno gets down to 5 HS All Americans he'll have to "coach like the rest of us." The recruiting success with Kia Nurse suggests that Brenda better not be holding her breath on that one. As Kia's quote in the Hamilton Scores article in today's media reports demonstrates, the advantage that Brenda was alluding to has been earned by the consistent excellence of the program that Geno and Chris and a whole host of motivated staff have developed over a 2 decade plus period. You can bet that Ontario media is not abuzz with WCBB news, yet Kia Nurse has dreamed of playing at U Conn since she was a 7th grader. That is powerful stuff. Her father underlined Geno's international coaching prowess as a pivotal factor too. Tony's consistent refrain about U Conn being the place to go if you want to take your game as far as it can go...well, it's a consistent refrain 'cuz it is true, demonstrated by one great graduate after another. That body of work has high visibility internationally. Other schools may make promises, Geno can sit in a living room and talk about history (read "facts"). The "business" of U Conn basketball has tremendous "good will" and it pays dividends every year.

U Conn came to the party late in Nurse's recruitment, but having decided to pursue her Geno put the press on and it worked. Looking forward to watching her in a U Conn jersey for 4 strong years.

Aside from Tennesse's impressive history, as I said in another thread, Geno is the one coach who took one early success and has translated it into perpetual excellence. The only program that has given a recent glimmer of the same is Baylor, with ND next. It's hard to put frequent pretenders like Duke at that level given the lack of an NC and even Tara can't claim the degree of success that Geno can. UConn drew four aces when Geno was hired.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

rocky...good stuff..!! Since the parent of a prospect has identified "international coaching prowess" as a "pivotal" factor in recruiting, can we all agree that Geno coaching the U.S. Olympic team is a positive for UConn recruiting? ;) With this recruiting class up to 4 and possibly more, can we also agree Geno knows how to coach, recruit and manage his time to give both appropriate attention? :cool: Knowing the BY, probably not.....lol Go Huskies..!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You really do make me want to join your congregation.
cohen, we are hosting a Carols and Brew event the Sunday evening before Christmas in the local sports bar. You are officially invited.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Aside from Tennesse's impressive history, as I said in another thread, Geno is the one coach who took one early success and has translated it into perpetual excellence. The only program that has given a recent glimmer of the same is Baylor, with ND next. It's hard to put frequent pretenders like Duke at that level given the lack of an NC and even Tara can't claim the degree of success that Geno can. UConn drew four aces when Geno was hired.

Tara can't quite claim the success of UConn, but I'd put her accomplishments a level above those of Duke, Baylor or ND.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
cohen, we are hosting a Carols and Brew event the Sunday evening before Christmas in the local sports bar. You are officially invited.

If my Hebrew school experience had only had a touch of your input, I would be a religious man today. Alas, on Christmas day, I take my annual Christmas day pilgrimage to fly off and visit my youngest, who by the way, is evidence of either immaculate conception or that Jews are really bad at the rhythm method. Making it to PA the night before, sadly, appears not to be in the cards. (I seem to be in a poker mode this morning).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Tara can't quite claim the success of UConn, but I'd put her accomplishments a level above those of Duke, Baylor or ND.

Well, I think in Mulkey's case, it's too soon to make a judgment. I don't know as between ND and Stanford. Pretty narrow difference, although I'm inclined to agree with you. The thing about Muffett is that unlike some of the other pretenders, she is starting to get fairly consistently high level recruits and unlike some, like Landers and Hatchell. she is a really good coach. Her problem, like that of many others, is that UConn often gets in the way of final success.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well, I think in Mulkey's case, it's too soon to make a judgment. I don't know as between ND and Stanford. Pretty narrow difference, although I'm inclined to agree with you. The thing about Muffett is that unlike some of the other pretenders, she is starting to get fairly consistently high level recruits and unlike some, like Landers and Hatchell. she is a really good coach. Her problem, like that of many others, is that UConn often gets in the way of final success.
You're last line is a classic. We sort of said that at Rutgers a number of years, when, absent UConn, we might have gotten a conference championship.

I know it is difficult to figure Mulkey's place in things, but she did take over in 2000 FWIW.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Other schools may make promises, Geno can sit in a living room and talk about history (read "facts").
You want to win NCs? - 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2013
You want to be a NPOY? - Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Moore
You want to be an AA? - Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML.
You want to be a Gold Medal Olympian? - Lobo, Wolters, Cash, Jones, Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Moore, Abrosimova
You want to play in the WNBA? - Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, Sales, Williams, Sauer, Ralph, Abrosimova, Schumaker, Bird, Cash, Jones, Raymond, Taurasi, Battle, Moore, Crockett, Strother, Turner, Houston, Swanier, Greene, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hayes, Faris.

Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I know it is difficult to figure Mulkey's place in things, but she did take over in 2000 FWIW.

Really? Seems a little more recent, but I didn't look it up. Time flies when you're team is winning so many NCs/:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
More like drawing to an inside Royal Straight Flush. :D
UConn did a heckuva job in hiring two of the greatest college basketball coaches ever when they hired Calhoun and Auriemma at roughly the same time (mid-1980s). Can't imagine the odds of making two hires of that magnitude almost in one shot. That's like getting your royal flush then doing it again a few hands later.

Reaction Score
You want to be an AA? - Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML.
You want to be a Gold Medal Olympian? - Lobo, Wolters, Cash, Jones, Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Moore, Abrosimova
You want to play in the WNBA? - Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, Sales, Williams, Sauer, Ralph, Abrosimova, Schumaker, Bird, Cash, Jones, Raymond, Taurasi, Battle, Moore, Crockett, Strother, Turner, Houston, Swanier, Greene, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hayes, Faris.

Excellent job! But as much as I love Abrosimova..... She did not win Olympic gold... Bronze I believe.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Make that three; CD.She has been a major contributor to Geno's success. So, like, say, drawing the queen, king and ace of spades to your jack-ten.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rocky - just a little correction - Frese went to the form book when she saw the Nurse commitment and her first reaction - Hah! Geno is finally slipping, she isn't even an honorable mention All American!!! :cool:

My question, should we send her a note and tell her she wasn't eligible, or just blow her mind the next four years at how well Geno has developed a #156 ranked kid? - I vote for the latter.:rolleyes:

And 01 - you beat me to the punch on Abrosimova - I think she feels a little like Rutgers and ND - blocked at the finish line by the USA

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Excellent job! But as much as I love Abrosimova..... She did not win Olympic gold... Bronze I believe.
Oops, good point. I knew that, but got so busy writing names....:rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Actually seven, you could have been even more (Moore) generous…In the great one's case putting a numeral 4 next to Ms Moore's AA attribute, including a mention of WNBA championships (2), European Championship, Chinese Championship; etc, etc, etc.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That's my kind of church!

Are these guys members....??

bluesbrothers006.jpg

Reaction Score

Shea was drafted, but never actually played in the WNBA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom