Nostical...Nos? Are you out there? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nostical...Nos? Are you out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I no longer get there for warmups, but I'm in my seat at least 20-30 minutes before kickoff, watching the clock countdown. Again we are the die hards. I will be there for Tulane, one of my co workers an alum whose brother played at UConn, in a few years i'm sure she would probably stop going and tell me the games just aint as fun as they used to be. Now she is a great person, and loves going to games now, she often goes with her kids and without her husband depending on his work schedule. Eh, we will see I guess.

Reaction Score
Not buying the attendance decline theory.

First of all, the decline is grossly exaggerated on this board.

2nd, attendance issues are much worse for several other recent expansion invitees. Re: BC, Cuse, Pitt, Miami

What are you thinking?

We sold out XL/Hartford/Gampel regularly for everything ... now that's not true. We are down 15-20%. We are down 25% in Football Season tickets ... and the gifting/seat prices must be down too. We are probably down 15% in WBB.

Grossly exaggerated? Methinks not.

Reaction Score
What are you thinking?

We sold out XL/Hartford/Gampel regularly for everything ... now that's not true. We are down 15-20%. We are down 25% in Football Season tickets ... and the gifting/seat prices must be down too. We are probably down 15% in WBB.

Grossly exaggerated? Methinks not.

Unemployment has gone from 5% to ~9% after peaking close to 10% in CT in the past 5 years. Clearly, discretionary spending is taking a hit. You have to respond by lowering pricing, increasing promotions, driving more student attendance, etc. The Athletic Department has been slow to this reality.

Reaction Score
+1. Jim. I know people that used to have season tickets, but hey you can tickets to just about any game so why pay more/the donation? I sometimes wonder if UConn is elitist in who their target season ticket buyer is I will say that.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As to Herbst, I don't pretend I know how much work she has done on this from September of '11 to now, and how well she did it. But I do know (or think I know) two things. First, I am absolutely convinced we had determined we were going to the ACC and that she told Aresco that before Aresco gave his speech in New Orleans. What led her to the conclusion I don't know. But you can't get something like this wrong in her position. You can lose but you can't actually think you've won and tell people you've won when you haven't.

Second, because she thought she won, we did not engage in a PR battle with LV. Now, would that have changed any of the votes? I don't know. Very strong possibility that it wouldn't. But, having seen us get eaten alive in social media and sports websites and blogs because only one side was playing the game, I have no issue in hindsight saying we needed a PR and social media strategy. For all I know, the same thing may have happened politically through back channels. Who knows if FSU and Clemson would have dug in if it didn't seem like their fanbases and the football media would have beaten the crap out of them publicly if UConn joined.

I heard Herbst speak once in Stamford. She was very impressive. But I think she got played here -- I think she was the girl who gave it up for the promise of an engagement ring that never came if you don't mind a horrifically politically incorrect gender based comparison -- and I'm not sure we had a strategy for the last two weeks other than we've won -- sit back and wait for the surrender. And I'm going to have an issue getting behind her on anything until I hear how the duck* this happened.

If I could guess, I think Swofford or someone close to him backchanneled to Herbst that UConn was in line when MD left. When the discussions actually took place, though, some of the FB schools discussed Louisville. There were academics, football schools and those on the fence. the fence schools went over to the football schools and as the schism between the academics and footballs grew it was the football schools that dug in harder and forced the academics to capitulate and move for Louisville. In short, I'd guess that Swofford misread some of his constituents.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're always duck_____ right ... in your own mind.

I admit I'm wrong here probably more than anyone.

You do realize I just agreed with you and pointed out I got ripped, so sure attack me - that's the Boneyard way.

Yes, people like semantics, BL. Fair-weather doesn't perfectly describe the phenomenon. I was trying to be nicer than just bluntly stating truth which is it's just a bad fanbase in terms of showing up at games.

Reaction Score
Not sure WTF happended but trust me - after being married for almost 28 years, hell hath no fury like a women scorned. They don't forget... Swofford or whoever mislead her better invest in a kevlar cup!

Reaction Score
As to Herbst, I don't pretend I know how much work she has done on this from September of '11 to now, and how well she did it. But I do know (or think I know) two things. First, I am absolutely convinced we had determined we were going to the ACC and that she told Aresco that before Aresco gave his speech in New Orleans. What led her to the conclusion I don't know. But you can't get something like this wrong in her position. You can lose but you can't actually think you've won and tell people you've won when you haven't.

Second, because she thought she won, we did not engage in a PR battle with LV. Now, would that have changed any of the votes? I don't know. Very strong possibility that it wouldn't. But, having seen us get eaten alive in social media and sports websites and blogs because only one side was playing the game, I have no issue in hindsight saying we needed a PR and social media strategy. For all I know, the same thing may have happened politically through back channels. Who knows if FSU and Clemson would have dug in if it didn't seem like their fanbases and the football media would have beaten the crap out of them publicly if UConn joined.

I heard Herbst speak once in Stamford. She was very impressive. But I think she got played here -- I think she was the girl who gave it up for the promise of an engagement ring that never came if you don't mind a horrifically politically incorrect gender based comparison -- and I'm not sure we had a strategy for the last two weeks other than we've won -- sit back and wait for the surrender. And I'm going to have an issue getting behind her on anything until I hear how the duck* this happened.

If UCONN decided to wage a PR battle ... and still lost to LV ... how would UCONN be perceived then? I seem to agree with you that Herbst did what she could for UCONN out of the public eye because she may have been led to think that UCONN would be chosen. However, if she waged that PR war anyway and still didn't get chosen ... she might have done more damage to UCONN's perception.

Reaction Score
Given their silence throughout the process SH and WM bsolutely had to be under the impression (or were told via the infamous back channel) UConn was in. I really want to hear WTF happened here. It may never come out publically, but I really need (for my own sanity) to understand how this went down the final days/week. If Hebst thought there was even a remote chance we could get boxed out, there is no way in hell both she and Warde are in theVI (even though both were working on this while there, and on the phones regularly during the trip). If only for public perception purposes alone, not a chance they are both there and keeping mum on the topic if they had some doubt. I support them both, but shame on them..they got played.

As for the ACC adding UL, the bigger knock on effect of this is the door is now wide open for the UCFs, USF's, Cinci's, etc... for acceptance. The ACC just removed academics as a disqualifier. So Tampa, Orlando, and Cinci (probably other markets) are all now in play. If FSU does in fact bolt, there is even greater likelihood they replace them with a Florida based team.

Reaction Score
If UCONN decided to wage a PR battle ... and still lost to LV ... how would UCONN be perceived then? I seem to agree with you that Herbst did what she could for UCONN out of the public eye because she may have been led to think that UCONN would be chosen. However, if she waged that PR war anyway and still didn't get chosen ... she might have done more damage to UCONN's perception.

Strongly disagree. Our perception is not being helped outside this board by the belief that we didn't put up a fight. Not one iota. In fact, our perception is being trashed by the onesided information that was being spoon fed to so called reporters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sorry guys but I’ve been bogged down at work and wanted to clear my head before responding. Here’s my take....

Thanks, Nos. I needed that.

Reaction Score
FWIW Kevin Nathan said we only had 4 votes, NC,Duke,WF, and V. We have big trouble if we think we get in the ACC in the future.

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree. Our perception is not being helped outside this board by the belief that we didn't put up a fight. Not one iota. In fact, our perception is being trashed by the onesided information that was being spoon fed to so called reporters.

You think what the national sports media thinks of LV today, vs. what they thought 2 weeks ago, is any different?

Reaction Score
Given their silence throughout the process SH and WM bsolutely had to be under the impression (or were told via the infamous back channel) UConn was in. I really want to hear WTF happened here. It may never come out publically, but I really need (for my own sanity) to understand how this went down the final days/week. If Hebst thought there was even a remote chance we could get boxed out, there is no way in hell both she and Warde are in theVI (even though both were working on this while there, and on the phones regularly during the trip). If only for public perception purposes alone, not a chance they are both there and keeping mum on the topic if they had some doubt. I support them both, but shame on them..they got played.

As for the ACC adding UL, the bigger knock on effect of this is the door is now wide open for the UCFs, USF's, Cinci's, etc... for acceptance. The ACC just removed academics as a disqualifier. So Tampa, Orlando, and Cinci (probably other markets) are all now in play. If FSU does in fact bolt, there is even greater likelihood they replace them with a Florida based team.
They could have been deliberately misinformed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
2. I fully agree with you that what Herbst walked into was a much bigger mess than what should have been there due to the lack of ambition of her immediate predecessors. But the one thing she needs to take responsibility for if not the losing of the battle isthat the school actually told people, including the Big East from all we can tell, that it had won without being right. That still strikes me as an inexcusable mistake. Although, unlike many, I am more than happy to listen to another side and consider whether I may be wrong.

I don't think Jurich really needs to make himself look better but this quote is interesting and, if true, confirms your thinking:

RT @ericcrawford: #UofL AD Tom Jurich said his school began the ACC race as underdog: "They already had UConn - not penciled in - penned in"

Painful to read in any event.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to do a Frontline type program on The Selling of Louisville.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to do a Frontline type program on The Selling of Louisville.
They were able to sell using their athletic department's budget. It is one of the most profitable in the country outside of the "Big 4".

Reaction Score
Do you think it's because everything is televised?

I'm not sure people realize this. When my kids were young -- say the mid to late 90s -- you couldn't get tickets to a UConn game. The Civic Center not only sold out -- it was sold out entirely by season tickets. We would go to road games at Seton Hall or St. Johns just so we could go to a game. Gampel -- forget about it. It has only been in the last five or six years that you could buy single game tickets there.

Whaler uses the term "fair weather fans" but to be fair it's not people leaving the program because we don't win any more. People were not buying as many tickets even while we were winning.

Reaction Score
I think the southern football bloc woke up and crushed our effort.

They really believe that Louisville gives them a better football option. They need a better SOS to help get one of their teams into the playoff. Right now, they are pretty much on the outside looking in that dept.

SEC has like six 10 win teams at the moment, no idea how many are in the Top 25.

I'm not saying that I agree, but it helps me understand better.

I still have no idea why we told Aresco that we were gone. It also sounds like we didn't have any input into the Tulane and ECU thing.

I don't think Jurich really needs to make himself look better but this quote is interesting and, if true, confirms your thinking:

RT @ericcrawford: #UofL AD Tom Jurich said his school began the ACC race as underdog: "They already had UConn - not penciled in - penned in"

Painful to read in any event.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the southern football bloc woke up and crushed our effort.

They really believe that Louisville gives them a better football option. They need a better SOS to help get one of their teams into the playoff. Right now, they are pretty much on the outside looking in that dept.

SEC has like six 10 win teams at the moment, no idea how many are in the Top 25.

I'm not saying that I agree, but it helps me understand better.

I still have no idea why we told Aresco that we were gone. It also sounds like we didn't have any input into the Tulane and ECU thing.
Do we even know that it was someone at UConn who told Aresco we were gone? He probably has contacts in the ACC that thought UConn was probably going to get the nod. This tells us that either the turning point for UL was late Tuesday, or that Aresco was going off of "old intel" in his press conference.

Reaction Score
The "public" has tons of wrong ideas about a whole panoply of subjects, political, social, military and athletic. I would submit that the view of UL and the view of UConn by most people is mostly inaccurate. I do very occasional part time legal consulting in retirement and the ideas clients have about what I can do for them and reality are far apart. I spend more time giving my client reality lessons than I do vs. the opposition. Apparently, the public perception of UConn is fairly well set in stone and three national BB championships, decent minor sports and passable FB, including a winning record vs. SU and Pitt. and .500 vs. Louisville doesn't change it. The fact that ESPN is watched a lot and is populated by mostly morons doesn't help. It is easier to adopt one of their positions than to research for oneself.

Reaction Score
Do we even know that it was someone at UConn who told Aresco we were gone? He probably has contacts in the ACC that thought UConn was probably going to get the nod. This tells us that either the turning point for UL was late Tuesday, or that Aresco was going off of "old intel" in his press conference.

Hint: Aresco wasn't the only person going off of old intel.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hint: Aresco wasn't the only person going off of old intel.
That's likely. Question is, is there anything UConn could have done about that, that wasn't done? Realistically, we (fans) don't know. I suppose some of us will pretend we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom