Non-Key Tweets | Page 91 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Market share. Take a hit on your margins but grow your numbers and hopefully some brand loyalty (RU). Then, as everyone has pointed out, steadily raise your prices and get your margins.

Maybe I'm not making my point clearly. The B1G did not need to "cave" in June. I live in TX and the Long Horn Network negotiations got ugly in late August. NFL Network negotiations with carriers got ugly as the season loomed closer and closer. No one has provided a reason why the B1G would settle on a "disappointing" rate, three months or so before the start of the season. There was no deadline, real or otherwise, in June. At least not that I'm aware of.

Reaction Score
So, NBC is going to license Notre Dame football games to a sports net run by a rival network? I don't think so. ESPN could take an ND football game from ABC/ESPN and put it on an ACC Network, but they would probably take an economic hit to do it so I don't know why they would do it. Even if they did put one ND game per year against some weak ACC opponent (which is what the conference sports networks have been doing) would anyone really care?

What about ND hockey? Well they are in Hockey East which has a TV deal and ND hockey has their own TV deal with NBC Sports Network. (Yes, the Irish have screwed over Hockey East!)

So, that leaves ND men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball... for a potential ACC Network. That's not real attractive content and it certainly wouldn't drive getting carriage around the country.

ESPN already has the ACC media rights locked up and they run the risk of losing more college sports content in the future as the Big 1G TV contract comes up for bid. They have to be careful about losing content as they continue to raise sub rates to customers.

NBC won't be doing it for live games, NO. All of the ND home football games will be shown on NBC. What I'm talking about are mid-week replays of some games and reairing of classic games like FSU vs ND in 1993. NBC has a large vault with an inventory of past Notre Dame games going back to 1991 or whenever they contracted for ND. ND football doesn't have a Conference Channel to show them on, so ESPN is proposing showing old classic ND games by licensing them from NBC on an ACC Channel. I also think CBS probably has some of those classic Miami at ND games in 1988 (Catholics vs Convicts). There are probably some Pitt ND games with Dan Marino. A ND fan would have to tell us what memorable games they have played over the years.

ESPN has already gotten pricing from NBC Sports on what it would cost to show it on an ACC Channel. It's already being built in the cost models for a Channel. It's the same for Hockey. The ACC channel might want to show a classic ND-BC hockey game if there is one. But the live games will first air on NBC.

The ACC Channel will have to pay NBC to show this stuff who will pay ND, but if it helps get carriage it would be worth it as long as it's not absorbitantly expensive. From what I'm told it is workable. Then you can take that NBC footage and have Joe Montana or Lou Holtz being interviewed while watching those games and telling the audience what they were feeling at the time. There is a lot of creative stuff that can be done. Notre Dame doesn't have to be a full member to do this.

Outside of that the ESPN games, which will be 30 over the next 12 years could be shown live on the channel. But they will only do that probably for some lower interest ones. They can do the same as above for ones they first air on ABC or ESPN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
NBC won't be doing it for live games, NO. All of the ND home football games will be shown on NBC. What I'm talking about are mid-week replays of some games and reairing of classic games like FSU vs ND in 1993. NBC has a large vault with an inventory of past Notre Dame games going back to 1991 or whenever they contracted for ND. ND football doesn't have a Conference Channel to show them on, so ESPN is proposing showing old classic ND games by licensing them from NBC on an ACC Channel. I also think CBS probably has some of those classic Miami at ND games in 1988 (Criminals vs Convicts). There are probably some Pitt ND games with Dan Marino. A ND fan would have to tell us what memorable games they have played over the years.

ESPN has already gotten pricing from NBC Sports on what it would cost to show it on an ACC Channel. It's already being built in the cost models for a Channel. It's the same for Hockey. The ACC channel might want to show a classic ND-BC hockey game if there is one. But the live games will first air on NBC.

The ACC Channel will have to pay NBC to show this stuff who will pay ND, but if it helps get carriage it would be worth it as long as it's not absorbitantly expensive. From what I'm told it is workable. Then you can take that NBC footage and have Joe Montana or Lou Holtz being interviewed while watching those games and telling the audience what they were feeling at the time. There is a lot of creative stuff that can be done. Notre Dame doesn't have to be a full member to do this.

Outside of that the ESPN games, which will be 30 over the next 12 years could be shown live on the channel. But they will only do that probably for some lower interest ones. They can do the same as above for ones they first air on ABC or ESPN.
Are you concerned at all about a model that relies on the broadcast of non-league games in order to get carriage? That doesn't seem to reflect strong belief in the attractivenes of your core product...ACC games.

pj

Reaction Score
It's actually going to be called the "ACC Museum Channel" or maybe the "History (of the ACC) Channel".

Reaction Score
Are you concerned at all about a model that relies on the broadcast of non-league games in order to get carriage? That doesn't seem to reflect strong belief in the attractivenes of your core product...ACC games.
They would be games between the members of the ACC and Notre Dame. I could not care less whether they are league or non-league. If someone wants to pay for the Channel to watch FSU-ND and Miami-ND classic games, as far as we're concerned that is someone from the current ACC playing ND. Now will we be showing ND vs USC? Probably not. But nothing to prevent it if it gets basic cable in Los Angeles. That would be taking away from the core mission though as you say. The other channels like the SEC Channel will be showing SEC teams play out of conference opponents. This isn't anything unusual.

Reaction Score
It's actually going to be called the "ACC Museum Channel" or maybe the "History (of the ACC) Channel".
If you've ever watched the Big Ten Network, I don't but am told it's a Michigan vs Ohio State Museum. There will be a lot of ACC history on the channel. It's 24 x 7. There are not enough live games to fill 24 x 7. The NFL Network is a museum.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
NBC won't be doing it for live games, NO. All of the ND home football games will be shown on NBC. What I'm talking about are mid-week replays of some games and reairing of classic games like FSU vs ND in 1993. NBC has a large vault with an inventory of past Notre Dame games going back to 1991 or whenever they contracted for ND. ND football doesn't have a Conference Channel to show them on, so ESPN is proposing showing old classic ND games by licensing them from NBC on an ACC Channel. I also think CBS probably has some of those classic Miami at ND games in 1988 (Catholics vs Convicts). There are probably some Pitt ND games with Dan Marino. A ND fan would have to tell us what memorable games they have played over the years.

I'm sorry, but reruns of ND games to go along with ND basketball and non revenue sports will not get Chicago at a rate higher than a non-footprint rate. If ESPN wants to purchase old ND games, more power to them. It might be for an ACCN, or it might be for ESPN Classic. Since NBC isn't using them, maybe they contacted ESPN and sold them for a ridiculously low price. Am I talking out of my hind parts? Absolutely! No more than this beauty you pulled off:

I know you did. That will explain for you how easily Notre Dame will help the ACC Network get Chicago. Very similar situation.

That's how this whole discussion got started, correct?

But wait, I thought that The ACC had 60 games, not 30.

There are 60 football games contracted for between ND and the ACC for the next 12 years. Were you expecting the ACC and ND to hide them all from the public? That would be foolish. So yes. Riiiiight.

So what is it? 60 or 30?

I really have no clue if there will be an ACCN. I have stated before that I hope there is. An ACCN will do very well Virginia, NC, Florida, SC, and maybe Boston. They will be ok in Georgia and Kentucky. NY and Pennsylvainia? Good luck with those. Unless ND goes all in, Chicago won't be ACC territory at all. Again, these are my OPINIONS. I have no freaking clue what will happen. As far as I know, the UMC/ACC settlement has The Big10 trading NW and Purdue for VPI and NCST. Do I really think that? Maybe OSU is headed to The SEC? Maybe Michigan is going to go all U Chicago and drop down to DIII? The one thing I do know is that I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Unless someone here is an ACC/Big10/SEC/Big12/Pac12 high up official, a president/AD of a school involved, one of their inner circle, or close with someone in that capacity, the chances of them knowing as more that what I know is slim to none.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If you've ever watched the Big Ten Network, I don't but am told it's a Michigan vs Ohio State Museum. There will be a lot of ACC history on the channel. It's 24 x 7. There are not enough live games to fill 24 x 7. The NFL Network is a museum.

Really? You were told? So, during the summer when they have multiple days for each of the schools, they are showing OSU and Michigan.

You know, I was told that The ACCN was going to be nothing but UNC and Duke reruns. Football, basketball, swimming, lacrosse, underwater basket weaving.

The funny thing is, a potential ACCN will have the same problems. So it's ok for The ACC to not have enough live coverage, but wrong for The Big10?

dayooper

Reaction Score

Sorry, didn't read closely. You do agree that potential ACCN would be a museum. My apologies.

Reaction Score

So then, it is the combination of third tier ACC network games and ND reruns that will get the ACCN on basic in Boston? Roger that.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but reruns of ND games to go along with ND basketball and non revenue sports will not get Chicago at a rate higher than a non-footprint rate. If ESPN wants to purchase old ND games, more power to them. It might be for an ACCN, or it might be for ESPN Classic. Since NBC isn't using them, maybe they contacted ESPN and sold them for a ridiculously low price. Am I talking out of my hind parts? Absolutely! No more than this beauty you pulled off:

That's how this whole discussion got started, correct?

But wait, I thought that The ACC had 60 games, not 30.

So what is it? 60 or 30?

I really have no clue if there will be an ACCN. I have stated before that I hope there is. An ACCN will do very well Virginia, NC, Florida, SC, and maybe Boston. They will be ok in Georgia and Kentucky. NY and Pennsylvainia? Good luck with those. Unless ND goes all in, Chicago won't be ACC territory at all. Again, these are my OPINIONS. I have no freaking clue what will happen. As far as I know, the UMC/ACC settlement has The Big10 trading NW and Purdue for VPI and NCST. Do I really think that? Maybe OSU is headed to The SEC? Maybe Michigan is going to go all U Chicago and drop down to DIII? The one thing I do know is that I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Unless someone here is an ACC/Big10/SEC/Big12/Pac12 high up official, a president/AD of a school involved, one of their inner circle, or close with someone in that capacity, the chances of them knowing as more that what I know is slim to none.
I'm telling you what I hear is happening, and you want to argue that I'm not hearing it. Believe what you will. You can just watch it happen when it does rather than be interested in what is being discussed. Yes the sources I'm discussing it with have close access to insiders. There will be Notre Dame football content on the ACC Channel if it moves forward, and all indicators from ESPN are a go given the success of the SEC launch. And Notre Dame is considered just as local to Chicago as Rutgers is to New York by the Cable Industry contracts. It's not worth spending any more time debating this part.

Reaction Score
I think it is maybe 50-50 that the ACC will have a network in 2017...

All I know is what I read....no inside info at all...

1...A competitive market analysis for the ACC was turned over as part of a court filing by Maryland in the ongoing legal dispute regarding the school's departure for the Big Ten.

The document, obtained by the Washington Post, may just be a point of reference for the competing lawsuits over money owed by Maryland to the ACC. But the presentation also details the ACC's view of itself in the college landscape and potential areas of growth, including a conference network similar to ESPN's SEC Network.

"If it is determined that an ACC Network can be a success," the analysis states. "ESPN has indicated it will do a deal on the same terms and conditions as it has with the SEC on the SEC Network."

"Swofford: Looking ahead, there's not much of an update I have to cover for you today, but I felt it was important to note that we will continue to have our discussions with our partners at ESPN about a potential ACC channel, and I remain pleased with how productive and insightful those discussions have been to this point."

Has the time come for an ACC Network, an actual channel dedicated to the conference?

The easy answer is yes. There has never been a better time to start a sports network of any kind. Live sports moves the broadcast needle like nothing else. Demand among advertisers has never been higher. The increasingly astronomic rights fees broadcasters are paying reflect that.

Yet there are other considerations for the ACC, which is why the conference has taken a surprisingly equivocal tone about its television future – which will be decided alongside ESPN, which holds the conference’s rights through 2027, and could take another two or three years to shake out.

“You really have to look at it strategically from a business standpoint to determine whether it makes the most sense long term, because it’s a long-term decision,” ACC commissioner John Swofford said in an interview Sunday.

“It’s not something you get into and get out of real quickly. We want to be diligent. And by we, I’m talking about us, the league, but also ESPN. You don’t take that step unless you feel pretty confident it will be a successful business venture for both entities.”

Not everyone has cashed in. Start-up costs are astronomical. The University of Texas’ Longhorn Network has struggled. The Pac-12 Network is not widely available. And the ACC would have to buy back the rights to games ESPN has sublicensed to Raycom and Fox Sports.

Even a successful conference-specific channel always requires a tradeoff between exposure (on ESPN and other mass-market networks) and money (subscriber fees). For the ACC, that means weighing the reach of the so-called ACC Network, the rebranded Raycom syndication, against the financial benefits of an actual ACC Network. The relative success of ESPN’s newly launched SEC Network will have a lot to say about the direction the ACC goes.

“Time will tell,” Swofford said. “There’s at least a belief right now by what you see happening that a devoted conference channel is the way people seem to be going. We’re all a little different. From our standpoint, you don’t want to go down that road simply because it’s the fad or the sexy thing to be doing. You want to go down the road because you strongly believe it’s in the best interests of your conference.”

Reaction Score
Didn't John Paul Getty do this 100 years ago by opening gas stations across from competitors and selling gas at a loss. This is not a new strategy nor is it bulletproof. For every Walmart there are probably 1,000,000 start ups that failed at that strategy from a cash flow perspective.

Walmart is also a notorious ball buster with its vendors. You present your product and they will dictate everything including how your product is produced before it ever sees a Walmart shelf.
you want volume, Walmart will deliver. as many vendors have found, that volume is addictive and comes at a steep price.

Reaction Score
From what I'm told, the ACC Network still has far too many sticking points to get off the ground. And the reasons should be obvious.

First and foremost, the ACC, as the above article mentions, would have to buy back all the games in order to make it work. Second, ESPN already owns all the rights to the ACC, and they would not relinquish a partial share of those rights unless they were guaranteed better money than they're already earning now. If they thought the ROI would be worth it, they would have already signed on to such a deal.

The ACC may still yet get a network, but it's likely not going to be as favorable as the Big Ten, SEC or Pac-12 got because they don't have the same leverage as those networks had. They will have to surrender partial ownership, at bare minimum, and may not have the same creative control it desires.

Reaction Score
F
OT...I hate to leave these beautiful NC mountains to head back to Florida...but football season is beckoning.

As I am typing this I am looking out over the purpling ridges leading up to the mountain chain that cuts off the horizon some 30 miles distant. The sun is setting gold and pink.

The talent around here on mandolin, guitar, fiddle, bass, harmonica, etc..is outstanding. Music on Friday and Saturday is outstanding, especially if you have an ear for bluegrass, folk, and americana. I will miss the small towns and the jams.

Leaving the ridge in a couple of days is bitter sweet....

But...the season begins in a couple of weeks....and my wife of a lifetime and I will recreate our first date...to an FSU football game.

(1978 vs Cincinatti)...

ZZZZZZZZZZ

Reaction Score
If there's any conference that can best utilize its so-called non-revenue sports then it is the ACC. Yes, there would be live football and basketball but it's those other sports that would hit the demos that the ACC would like in order to make money on such a project.

Reaction Score
I'm telling you what I hear is happening, and you want to argue that I'm not hearing it. Believe what you will. You can just watch it happen when it does rather than be interested in what is being discussed. Yes the sources I'm discussing it with have close access to insiders. There will be Notre Dame football content on the ACC Channel if it moves forward, and all indicators from ESPN are a go given the success of the SEC launch. And Notre Dame is considered just as local to Chicago as Rutgers is to New York by the Cable Industry contracts. It's not worth spending any more time debating this part.

And yet, you never leave.

Reaction Score
There are zero indications that the ACC Network is moving forward. None.

You have no insiders and are generally one of the most uninformed people we've had to endure here.

You're a lightweight shill.

NAIL > HEAD.

Those posts are just completely chock full of horsesh!t and delusion. I was literally laughing as I read.

Wow. It's amazing what some people can convince themselves to believe.

Reaction Score

You truly are a giant of an ignorant moron.

Reaction Score
Why are you so desperate to convince UConn fans that an ACC Network is happening?

It's getting weird now.

Reaction Score
If there's any conference that can best utilize its so-called non-revenue sports then it is the ACC. Yes, there would be live football and basketball but it's those other sports that would hit the demos that the ACC would like in order to make money on such a project.

And here's Stimpy's sidekick, ol' "The ACC is the only conference that cares about ((((non-revenue)))) sports!!1!!"

Meanwhile the ACC is in dead-last place in the P5 RE overall National Titles; that's revenue AND non-revenue sports. Guess ACC fans just love watching losers.

Both of your lives will become so much more easy and carefree when you just accept the fact that you are small ball compared to the B1G SEC, and PAC. You are second tier P5. Accept this, and move on. Hopefully UCONN fan will be spared the agony of having to call you clowns conference mates.

UCONN fans: ((((((Come to the B1G)))))). By the way - is that the dumbest sig line of all time or what?? "Come to the ACC". Like you guys have a choice. Fuggin derp.

BTW; props to Who Ha for quoting old man BillyBuds post. Pro move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom