Non-Key Tweets | Page 188 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
• Greg Flugaur @flugempire • Mar 12
...I’ve already discussed in the last year how UCONN has improved themselves with Big Ten metrics based upon increasing dedication to big research but I’ve never given much credit to the UCONN hockey program to increasing its chances to receive a future full Big Ten invite. I may have been dead... ..wrong. The very fact that it's been confirmed ASU & Big Ten is talking makes it all very viable UCONN can become school #8 in B1G hockey ...an even number of teams in a college hockey conf. Follow this logic...it now doesn't have to be AAU. ASU won't be...in the Big Ten hockey forever...that is not their goal...they want to build PAC hockey.. I think #8 is all about...bringing in a new East Coast market. That brings us to Boston College or Boston U or UCONN. Remember....FOX would be the great pusher so BC is out. Boston U? Would never leave BC. So if you follow my twisted logic an Arizona St to the Big Ten for Hockey could very well lead to UCONN in hockey. In conclusion: Arizona St in Big Ten hockey in 2 years will bring in a need for a #8. Delany is making friends in the East. Just saying. Calling Mrs. Herbst....Calling Mrs. Herbst Please answer the telephone. This scenario was brought to you by an i

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If we say no to B10 hockey why would they ever ask again? We cannot say no. A no means we stay in the Aac forever.
If you show desperation, you immediately lose in negotiations.

That's not how it works. The Big Ten makes an offer. UConn counters and they arrive at an agreement somewhere in the middle. UConn may give up $$ at the outset, but make no mistake that they end up 100% in the Big Ten...that is at least what I tell myself in order to go to bed without drinking a handle of vodka every night.

Reaction Score
If we say no to B10 hockey why would they ever ask again? We cannot say no. A no means we stay in the Aac forever.

It's the Big Ten presidents/chancellors who make the decision. There's a good chance that they would overlook taking a pass on Hockey, especially since intentions would probably have been quietly discussed by that point.

Reaction Score
If you show desperation, you immediately lose in negotiations.

That's not how it works. The Big Ten makes an offer. UConn counters and they arrive at an agreement somewhere in the middle. UConn may give up $$ at the outset, but make no mistake that they end up 100% in the Big Ten...that is at least what I tell myself in order to go to bed without drinking a handle of vodka every night.

My bad, we can certainly make believe we are dealing from a position of strength.

Reaction Score
Southern states are cutting subsidies for higher education at a much faster rate than northern schools. When you couple this with the rise in tuition thatr accompanies cut subsidies, AND the lower average salaries in the south, then you do see increased pressure southern schools to earn as much as they possibly can from sports., The only thing standing in the way is Southern sentiment and pride (i.e. alumni, boosters, politicians).

Ouch! http://www.cbpp.org/files/5-1-14sfp.pdf

Massive cuts to Higher Ed. The drive for autonomous athletic departments is going to become cutthroat very soon. B1G and SEC hold all the cards.

Reaction Score
Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub · 5h5 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @flugempire @RedhawkLand @Expansion_Crush BTN pays out an extra 2 million per schools with a hockey team. Just sayin

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@NebGradDubDub @theDudeofWV @RedhawkLand @Expansion_Crush Yep. But big question is does Delany and BTN offer Arizona St the 2 mil per year?

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@NebGradDubDub @theDudeofWV @RedhawkLand @Expansion_Crush If Arizona St does choose the Big Ten for Hockey...there will be a domino effect

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 4h4 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub @theDudeofWV @RedhawkLand @Expansion_Crush Hockey is just not filler. It not FB or BB...but on a conf network it's valuable

Reaction Score
Never thought of the whole B1G + ESPN effect on the ACCN. Maybe Delany will take a few peanuts less to negotiate with ESPN in hopes that it will tick off a few ACC schools and lure them out. It's fun to speculate.

UVA, GT -> Big Ten
UNC, VT -> SEC
Miami, FSU, Clemson, NC State, Louisville, Notre Dame -> Big XVI

"Big XVI"

Miami, Louisville, Notre Dame, TCU
FSU, Clemson, West Virginia, NC State
Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor
Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State

"New ACC"

Syracuse, Boston College, Connecticut, Temple, Duke, Pitt, Cincinnati, Wake Forest, South Florida, Central Florida

"New AAC"

ECU, Memphis, Navy, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Tulsa, Rice

This is assuming that the Big Ten and Disney get back into good graces and the Four-Letter monster "allows" two ACC schools to bolt there. What would happen next is they move to protect other valuable properties by moving them into the SEC. So UNC and V-Tech go there. Finally, Fox opens its wallets to bring a bunch of schools to solidify and remake the BXII. The new BXVI might be able to snag the Orange Bowl contract, which would further damage the ACC's prestige. This would be the worst-case scenario for the ACC that I see. Even then, I don't see the Big Ten taking UConn if they could get two more ACC schools, so you might end up reuniting with mostly former Big East and AAC schools.

With that said, I doubt it would ever come to that point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are listening to the Dood and Floog happy fun time insanity hour.

Underrated dynamic is them trying to build cred by referring to the other 'knowing who their contacts' are. Your unnamed fantasyland contact seems so much more legit when you pretend Dood has blessed them.

Reaction Score
There is now the beginning of an anti Swofford rumbling among FSU, Clemson, and GT fans. While I do not think that it will ultimately have an affect on CR, it might on Swofford's continuance as Commissioner.

The NCAA has now stated that it is looking at a time period for UNC academic irregularities that include the last four years of Swofford's term as UNC AD.

In Oct. of 2014 he defended his tenure in public. But it has also been reported two years ago when the investigation seemed to be not as serious, that he helped represent UNC in front of the NCAA. It was the first time as commissioner that he helped any member institution this way. The message boards called it out as "odd" and "UNC centric" at that time, but I don't think we knew that the years in question (when he helped represent UNC in front of the NCAA) included his time as UNC AD. Since these events, the NCAA investigation against UNC has gotten more serious and the recent penalties against Syracuse has raised concerns about how severe they could be against UNC. But things have gotten quiet. For now. I expect a spanking for UNC.

While some may say that it makes sense for Swofford to assist a conference member, FSU, GT, and Clemson folks point out that he did not lift a finger for their programs. And worse, he led the charge of the UNC/Tobacco Road crew to add additional penalties (beyond the NCAA's) on Clemson. Tiger fans have not forgotten.

Swofford has always been tied to UNC/Tobacco Road by the football schools and that tie could bite him if he is judged to be part of the UNC problem.

And, to the satisfaction of many...Christian Laettner has confirmed the bias in ACC officiating in favor of Duke...The Tobacco Road bias that the non Tobacco Road members have been oh so sure of for years

“I think it started a little bit after my time there. But I will be honest with you and tell you even when I watch Duke play today, I’m like ‘Ugh, gosh, did they call a charge?’ Too much. And especially at Cameron, they do get some of those calls. But when it’s a neutral gym or opposing, it’s not quite as bad. But there are times where I’m even like ‘Jeez, did we get this much of a benefit of the doubt from the refs when I was playing?’ And everyone says yes.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/christian-laettner-duke

Reaction Score
The NCAA has now stated that it is looking at a time period for UNC academic irregularities that include the last four years of Swofford's term as UNC AD.

Given the stuff Emmert presided over at LSU and especially at Washington, I don't think he wants to set this kind of precedent.

Reaction Score
There is now the beginning of an anti Swofford rumbling among FSU, Clemson, and GT fans. While I do not think that it will ultimately have an affect on CR, it might on Swofford's continuance as Commissioner.

In Oct. of 2014 he defended his tenure in public. But it has also been reported two years ago when the investigation seemed to be not as serious, that he helped represent UNC in front of the NCAA. It was the first time as commissioner that he helped any member institution this way. The message boards called it out as "odd" and "UNC centric" at that time, but I don't think we knew that the years in question (when he helped represent UNC in front of the NCAA) included his time as UNC AD. Since these events, the NCAA investigation against UNC has gotten more serious and the recent penalties against Syracuse has raised concerns about how severe they could be against UNC. But things have gotten quiet. For now. I expect a spanking for UNC.

While some may say that it makes sense for Swofford to assist a conference member, FSU, GT, and Clemson folks point out that he did not lift a finger for their programs. And worse, he led the charge of the UNC/Tobacco Road crew to add additional penalties (beyond the NCAA's) on Clemson. Tiger fans have not forgotten.

Swofford has always been tied to UNC/Tobacco Road by the football schools and that tie could bite him if he is judged to be part of the UNC problem.

And, to the satisfaction of many...Christian Laettner has confirmed the bias in ACC officiating in favor of Duke...The Tobacco Road bias that the non Tobacco Road members have been oh so sure of for years

“I think it started a little bit after my time there. But I will be honest with you and tell you even when I watch Duke play today, I’m like ‘Ugh, gosh, did they call a charge?’ Too much. And especially at Cameron, they do get some of those calls. But when it’s a neutral gym or opposing, it’s not quite as bad. But there are times where I’m even like ‘Jeez, did we get this much of a benefit of the doubt from the refs when I was playing?’ And everyone says yes.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/christian-laettner-duke

After last nights game I was amazed what I witnessed.

Reaction Score
I agree if UConn gets asked to the B1G as a hockey only
The road to full acceptance ,is that much easier.
They can't turn that down.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree if UConn gets asked to the B1G as a hockey only
The road to full acceptance ,is that much easier.
They can't turn that down.

Do you pay MSRP on a new car too?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Depends on how much in demand the car is and how much I need it. We paid asking price for our house when we bought it because houses in our price range were being snapped up before we could even see them and we needed to move fairly quickly.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Depends on how much in demand the car is and how much I need it. We paid asking price for our house when we bought it because houses in our price range were being snapped up before we could even see them and we needed to move fairly quickly.

Houses are often shown to and bid on by more than one entity. Buying at the asking price or even over if the seller can spark a bidding war happens quite often.

Cars are different. When you're at the negotiating table, you're the only entity looking to make the deal. If you get it at asking price you've done poorly.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Houses are often shown to and bid on by more than one entity. Buying at the asking price or even over if the seller can spark a bidding war happens quite often.

Cars are different. When you're at the negotiating table, you're the only entity looking to make the deal. If you get it at asking price you've done poorly.

But how does buying a car relate to UConn joining the Big10 for hockey only? I understand where Husky is going, but I don't think it's accurate. They can give that spot to someone else and completely lose out on the chance to get your foot in the door.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Your right the market determines price.
A fact even recognized by the 13th century Spainish Dominicans.
Even Adam Smith didn't get that right so 25 is in good company.
Apparenly He has a very basic knowledge of economics,(especially the management of Risk) negotiation and the fraternity of atrue tconference. He also is a poor chess player.. But we are all able to learn new things daily so there is hope.
PS note to Huskey25
(Don't be mad I'm only goofing on you. I actually liked your post)
I grew a thick skin in my 40+year career. It's a necessary asset.
I'm an East coast guy ,were busting b*lls is an art form.
It's amazing how sensitive these westerners are. the BY is the only place I can have fun.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
But how does buying a car relate to UConn joining the Big10 for hockey only? I understand where Husky is going, but I don't think it's accurate. They can give that spot to someone else and completely lose out on the chance to get your foot in the door.

Full disclosure: I didn't read anything above your post, so I probably didn't give full attention to the analogy. I'm prone to do that.

But if offered B1G hockey we can't turn it down, you're correct. The foot in the door method is always better.

pj

Reaction Score
It would be amazing if they took UConn hockey without men's and women's basketball. If they do those three, then they may as well take the Olympic sports. But then they have to help us with our football situation.

Somebody suggested football help of a Notre Dame type deal, 6 B1G games a year and we're #15 when they find a #16. Football goes independent. Some of the lesser B1G bowls are open to us. That would be a great deal, and fine for the B1G.

Reaction Score
For the love of God, can we stop it with all this partial membership nonsense? It's bad enough we are in a lousy conference, and that the lousy conference isn't even regional. UCONN is not getting invited to any P5 conference on partial membership terms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom