Non-Key Tweets | Page 190 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pat125 said:
My guess is that the Big Ten would have offered ND a partial membership only as a temporary measure to allow ND to transition from football independence and honor any deals they had. But apparently ND was not ready to give up independence in football at that time. For what it's worth, I think Notre Dame is finally ready to abandon the last remnant of independence and is trying to get their alumni and others resistant to it used to it.

If the Big Ten wanted to add UConn, but did not want to wait until an appropriate 16th team was available, I could see, as a possibility, the Big Ten offer UConn a partial membership, with the understanding that UConn accept full membership when a 16th team has been invited. The difference here is that, unlike ND, UConn would accept a full membership. Obviously, I have no idea that this would happen, but see it as a plausible option if the Big Ten doesn't want to lose UConn to another conference while waiting for a suitable 16th team to become available.

I agree with you regarding hockey. If the Big Ten did add ASU or anyone else, I don't see the extra urgency to get an eighth team. I don't see why 7 is worse than 6. I i suppose the Big Ten would eventually want at least 8 teams, but can wait until their own membership or future membership can add teams.

Hockey is primarily played on the weekends. Without an even number of teams one team will have a bye every week.

The BIG will not offer anyone the 15th slot while waiting on 16. That will send the nation into a frenzy waiting on the who, how, and why for 16.

If they go to 16, there will be an announcement of 15 and 16 with very little notice beforehand, if any.

All of these little plans are way off. It will happen one way at a time of the BiG's choosing, if it happens at all.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
And from the well that was completely expected department, BC and Wake are whining about cost of attendance scholarships, with BC as the lone dissenting vote.

Story in today's NY TIMES.

Reaction Score
And from the well that was completely expected department, BC and Wake are whining about cost of attendance scholarships, with BC as the lone dissenting vote.

Story in today's NY TIMES.
Private Catholic, Outlier distance-wise, ~30 varsity sports, expensive tuition...BC is certainly in a difficult spot.
I believe the Big East schools will also try to keep pace but that is going to be tough.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 50m 50 minutes ago
The Big Ten will target 2 ACC schools this summer. Find out who & why here: http://mountaineerfanboy.prophpbb.com/topic100.html

Bullet points:

• Says Big12 is stable, Texas and Oklahoma want to be there, Big12 GoR was given monetary concessions so it is strong.
  • NCST rep says ACC GOR was signed to get ESPN to look at a potential ACCN. Won't get a look without. No money was given so not strong. Big10 thinks they can get by it
  • Says Big10 will approach UVA ang GT this summer. If Big10 keeps with ESPN in some form, The ACCN is dead.
  • FSU us getting jumpy and will look to leave if no ACCN
  • Says Big10 needs to invite FSU, but can't because of AAU status. Taking FSU would tear apart ACC.
  • Not sure if UVA would leave, but GT would be gone in a heartbeat.
  • Big10 could pull $50 million per school if UVA and GT are added.
Hope that helps!

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m 7 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Good read. And with the exception of one major point it's accurate from my contacts...in which Chris and I may have duplication

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m 7 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV The major point of difference is we believe the ACC GOR is not dependent on the creation of the ACCN. But what we agree on...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3m 3 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV ..is UVA & GT are on top of Delanys wish list...but with the addition of VA TECH on the list as well. But at this point...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m 1 minute ago
...the perception of the Big Ten is there is not much interest from UVA/GT...no steam as of now. But maybe as Chris says things could..,.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m 1 minute ago
@flugempire ...with no ACCN coming on board. Overall good read. Don't agree with the stability claim of B12 either...but Delany target=east

Reaction Score
Hockey is primarily played on the weekends. Without an even number of teams one team will have a bye every week.

The BIG will not offer anyone the 15th slot while waiting on 16. That will send the nation into a frenzy waiting on the who, how, and why for 16.

If they go to 16, there will be an announcement of 15 and 16 with very little notice beforehand, if any.

All of these little plans are way off. It will happen one way at a time of the BiG's choosing, if it happens at all.

Pretty much sums it up IMO. When the B1G acts on a 15th member, there will already be a 16th member signed and waiting to be announced. I suppose its possible that UCONN could be invited as a hockey only member with the understanding being that they would be offered full membership should the B1G expand for all sports in the future. A partial membership for all sports except football would raise too many questions that the conference would not want to answer publicly.

Reaction Score
Bullet points:

• Says Big12 is stable, Texas and Oklahoma want to be there, Big12 GoR was given monetary concessions so it is strong.
  • NCST rep says ACC GOR was signed to get ESPN to look at a potential ACCN. Won't get a look without. No money was given so not strong. Big10 thinks they can get by it
  • Says Big10 will approach UVA ang GT this summer. If Big10 keeps with ESPN in some form, The ACCN is dead.
  • Says Big10 needs to invite FSU, but can't because of AAU status. Taking FSU would tear apart ACC.
Hope that helps!

Does the B1G want part of the ACC? Yes. is the XII stronger than the ACC, no. The B1G does want a school or schools in VA, likely. Is G tech is attractive due to their AAU status and the boatload of B1G alumni in metro Atlanta, yes. Will the B1G expand to GA without a land bridge between Maryland and GA, unlikely (FYI, its 175 miles from Rutgers to UConn while it is 650 between Maryland and G tech). Would FUS's departure hurt the ACC, yes, would it destroy it, no (especially as the tobacco road crowd would likely rejoice)

Reaction Score
Bullet points:

Hope that helps!

Hey at this point, any activity helps our cause. If teams were to leave the ACC for B1G, I would have to believe that Cincinnati and UConn would be pegged as the two replacements immediately.

Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Cincy
UConn
VT
Duke
UNC
Louisville
NC State
Clemson
Miami
Wake Forest
Florida State

Funny thing about that scenario, the football side would be marginally worse but basketball would be marginally better

Reaction Score
Although I am very much against the ACC, that would be an acceptable scenario. 8 of the 14 have come through the Big East so it has the feel of the old Big East football schools acquiring the ACC less Maryland, UVA, and GA Tech. Has the potential to be a very good football conference top to bottom for the east coast.

Reaction Score
from that dude's post at http://mountaineerfanboy.prophpbb.com/topic100.html

Classic: "Before I get into details I want to address the Big 12. The Big 12 is solid. Texas, and therefore Oklahoma, are 100% committed to the conference. The reasons are many but the primary reason is both believe the Big 12 champion has the easiest access to the playoffs." :confused:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Here's the deal: if the B1G takes 2 from the ACC, then the SEC is going to take 2 from ACC and/or Big 12. Then the PAC might eventually end up with their Texas/Oklahoma and little sisters and the remains of the ACC and Big 12 merge (16+ND) and we are then most likely shut out for good.

Reaction Score
B1G won't take 2 more from the ACC unless it's the UVA/VT combo (out of necessity -- and that isn't likely).

I'm a little surprised (well, not from those guys) that the Georgia Tech talk has been resurrected. They're a fine school, but I don't think it makes much sense financially.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just keeping in mind other schools are just as anxious about, and working hard toward, getting above the line.
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...do-state-big-conference-realignment/24921919/

This reminds me of two things (1) UConn is really well ahead of schools like CSU in almost every metric (pathetic, academic, budget, market) and (2) Ultimately, if there isn't more movement soon, the American and MWC will likely form a 12 team conference with six east, six west, to try to force their way to P6 status. I think the P5 will poach these teams in part to prevent this from happening.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom