Non-Key Tweets | Page 184 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2h 2 hours ago
@micjame @theDudeofWV BTN Hockey on Friday nights has been incredbile...Friday nights in the Winter was a dead money losing night for BTN

@micjame @theDudeofWV But now Friday nights have some eyeballs on the BTN....and BTN keeps making more money. There is a reason why...

@micjame @theDudeofWV PSU made more Rev and profit in first year in hockey(last year) than Boston College made in Hickey East in 2013-14.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 41m41 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV The main perception of all my Big Ten contacts say the next round of realignment gets kicked off by UVA or/and VT bolting....

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 37m 37 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV As you know my contacts in the B1G perceptions are united in the fact Delanys next target is state of Vrginua...UVA/VT.

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush · 25m25 minutes ago
@flugempire @theDudeofWV both?

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 24m 24 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV Whatever it takes politically...whatever it takes to convince the schools...either 1 or both...Delany wants VA

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 17m 17 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV You are correct sir. It's not going to be easy to pull even VT from ACC..even at GOR deadline...but...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 16m 16 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV ....VT has eye on B1G. VT president...and before him AD Weaver have moved to create a bigger pro Big Ten faction

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 15m 15 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV VT playing all those Big Ten East teams in next few years is about growing the faction...gaining momentum.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 15m 15 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV VT peer schools are Big Ten...period. Both Big Ten and VT would gain from a 100 year relationship.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 14m 14 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV No one believes me...but VT is the school most mentioned to me from Big Ten contacts..contacts Chris know I have

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m 11 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV Delany would take both VT and UVA if that's what it would need politically to make it happen in state of VA

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 10m 10 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV All of that may be true. But what's also true is Delany is targeting state of VA over all....and REV gap is real

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3m 3 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV Virginia....it's research...it's academics....it's media....Virginia is the exception. Delany would take both

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4m 4 minutes ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV a Nobody right now in Big Ten is under any illusions about UVA bring interested at this point. But VT is...true

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m 1 minute ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV Delany has an office in NY and DC. Delany wants VA eyeballs on BTN. Delany wants East Coast expansion

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 16s 16 seconds ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV ACC can't montize the state of Viginia...Big Ten and FOX can. Just ask Maryland. VT would be a sensational fit

Reaction Score
I keep getting suckered into reading his drivel. Why does Flugelmeister insist on being redundant, repeating himself, using 20 times as many words as necessary to make a point, saying the same things over and over again? Can I ignore this bunghole?
Yeah, no kidding. A couple of weeks back he was babbling that UCONN is definitely going to get an invite to the the B1G because of hockey expansion and today it's UVA & VT that's definitely getting the invite. He's all over the place. He might have some credibility if he was consistent. His tweets are fun to read though.

Reaction Score
I keep getting suckered into reading his drivel. Why does Flugelmeister insist on being redundant, repeating himself, using 20 times as many words as necessary to make a point, saying the same things over and over again? Can I ignore this bunghole?

More like, he's repeating @dayooper. Unless... He is @dayooper. :)

Reaction Score
And I'm still not Fluguar. Having said that, I'll be happy to repeat my conclusions to date--which were only reinforced by the map that was posted showing which schools were popular in which areas (thanks again for that--it's cool).

Forget U Va. The B1G strategic plan is NYC and mid-Atlantic. The best options are VT and UConn. Period. True, neither is AAU but both closing in and could use a boost over the fence so-to-speak.

That would make B1G a great, year-round conference.

BTW, whoever posted that Susan and Warde were up to something and doing everything they could...must be true. I heard from a contact that saw them disembarking at O'Hare. He said they were both wearing kneepads. UConn should be in pretty good shape...

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
More like, he's repeating @dayooper. Unless... He is @dayooper. :)

Hell no! I'm crazy, but not that insane!

I have no clue about what will happen, just think that VT and UConn would make a great addition to the Big10.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn and VT addition would be a great conference top to bottom.

Be even better if the $ magically appeared for UConn to add men's lacrosse and VT to add men's hockey.

Thinking about it's enough to make me salivate a bit...

Reaction Score
The AAU thing is somewhat curious. AAU is one measure that a school has reached a certain level of prestige academically. But not all schools that have achieved such levels of success are AAU. So it would seem the B1G should seek high quality schools and not necessarily just schools belonging to a specific organization. The old form vs. function, if you will. Style vs. substance.

New England has a population of about 15 million, which would be 5th behind Cali, Texas, FL, and NY. Add in part of the NYC market and forgetaboutit.
MA 6,745,408 46%
CT 3,596,677 24%
ME 1,330,089 9%
NH 1,326,813 9%
RI 1,055,173 7%
VT 626,562 4%
Total 14,680,722 100%

Remarkable that CT has more folks than either Iowa, Miss, Arkansas, Utah, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, Nebraska, or WV.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
New England has a population of about 15 million, which would be 5th behind Cali, Texas, FL, and NY. Add in part of the NYC market and forgetaboutit.
MA 6,745,408 46%
CT 3,596,677 24%
ME 1,330,089 9%
NH 1,326,813 9%
RI 1,055,173 7%
VT 626,562 4%
Total 14,680,722 100%

Serious question: All that population, and not a lot of top shelf football players. Are the athletes focusing on other sports, or are HS sports not as big of a deal?

Reaction Score
Serious question: All that population, and not a lot of top shelf football players. Are the athletes focusing on other sports, or are HS sports not as big of a deal?
I'm guessing there are many reasons. LAX, hockey, soccer, basketball and even baseball are all very popular in the northeast. High cost of living, perhaps some go right to work after school. I am sure the demographics have something to do with it. Longer winters.

Reaction Score

Except for Jersey, high school football is generally strong where college football is strong. The decision by the Ivy league to deemphasize football in 1956 likely played a part along with changing demographics (population shift south), environmental (tough to practice football in the off-season in the winter with 2 feet of snow on the field), and exposure and acceptance of different sports (soccer, basketball, lax, etc.).

Reaction Score
New England has approximately the same population as Alabama plus Georgia....

I assume that very urban areas in the NE are basketball oriented for youth....but I don't really have a clue other than the neighborhood courts of NY City which are of legend.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 9h9 hours ago
@theDudeofWV The main perception of all my Big Ten contacts say the next round of realignment gets kicked off by UVA or/and VT bolting....

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 9h9 hours ago
@flugempire VT has revenue problems. But they will not leave as long as Beamer is the coach.

Maroon Baboon ‏@maroon_baboon 8h8 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @flugempire The decision to leave the ACC is above Beamer's pay grade. GOR, devotion to ACC, and Va. politics more important.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 8h8 hours ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV VT playing all those Big Ten East teams in next few years is about growing the faction...gaining momentum.

@flugempire @theDudeofWV...If VT was able to act on its own, I believe they'd be headed to the B1G if invited...

@flugempire @theDudeofWV ...UVa worked to get VT invited to ACC. It won't easily be forgotten. UVa & VT don't have to be in the some conf..

@flugempire @theDudeofWV ...but one could go SEC and the other B1G at the same time. Or, if B1G is willing, they could both be in the B1G.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 8h8 hours ago
@maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV Virginia....it's research...it's academics....it's media....Virginia is the exception. Delany would take both

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball
@flugempire @maroon_baboon @theDudeofWV won't take both no way

Maroon Baboon ‏@maroon_baboon 1h1 hour ago
@TexasRoundball @flugempire @theDudeofWV Can't see both VT & UVa invited. Most likely, one to SEC other to B1G if they move...

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball 1h1 hour ago
@maroon_baboon @flugempire @theDudeofWV agree 100%. And both leaving would be slight acc issue

Maroon Baboon ‏@maroon_baboon 1h1 hour ago
@TexasRoundball @flugempire @theDudeofWV ...or, VT to B1G alone. And this only happens if ACC is solvent (read: ND joins full-time).

Maroon Baboon ‏@maroon_baboon 59m59 minutes ago
@TexasRoundball @flugempire @theDudeofWV And UVa & UNC will coordinate their exit if it happens. The'll stay together. #SouthsOldestRivalry

Maroon Baboon ‏@maroon_baboon 54m54 minutes ago
@TexasRoundball @flugempire @theDudeofWV "Slight" is being kind. If one more school leaves the ACC might have a jailbreak unless ND saves it

ME: See? I knew it wouldn't be long before they get back to the "ACC is doomed" meme. They can't help it. :D

Reaction Score
ACC Network won't happen - ACC Doomed
ACC Network does happen - it won't make any money, ACC Doomed
ACC Network makes money - it doesn't make enough money, ACC Doomed
ACC Network makes lots of money - ticket sales are too small, ACC Doomed

Every chapter in the Book of Kook always has the same ending.

Reaction Score
New England has approximately the same population as Alabama plus Georgia....

I assume that very urban areas in the NE are basketball oriented for youth....but I don't really have a clue other than the neighborhood courts of NY City which are of legend.

Football is not a big area for high school recruiting; but, every once and a while, some top notch talent does come out of the area (Dwight Jason Freeney, Arron Hernandez [gulp], etc.). Basketball has always decent talent ranging from Patrick Ewing, Marcus Camby, Shabazz Napier, etc. Plus, both sports are represented well by the private boarding schools in the region. Also worth noting that Massachusetts is the #2 US state for hockey recruiting behind Minnesota. The combined New England area is in equal footing with the Midwest.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The school districts are also generally smaller and there isn't the same widespread culture of kids being uprooted to consolidate talent at regional powerhouses like in the south or even a place like NJ with it's prep leagues.

Kids generally play where they live. It results in a less efficient identification and development process from the football side. There aren't really HS football factories at that level around here. A few coaches will dabble in recruiting, but it's mostly straight up.

Reaction Score
The school districts are also generally smaller and there isn't the same widespread culture of kids being uprooted to consolidate talent at regional powerhouses like in the south or even a place like NJ with it's prep leagues.

Kids generally play where they live. It results in a less efficient identification and development process from the football side. There aren't really HS football factories at that level around here. A few coaches will dabble in recruiting, but it's mostly straight up.

The Jersey Catholics coaches don't recruit (cough, cough); but, even if they don't playing a national high school football schedule against their in-conference rivals and schools from Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Utah, Nevada, California on ESPN serves as its own recruiting tool. Their 'recruitment' area now expands north to south from Orange County NY to Central Jersey and from west to east from the PA border into NYC. That's equal to the size of Houston, landwise.

Reaction Score
Except for Jersey, high school football is generally strong where college football is strong. The decision by the Ivy league to deemphasize football in 1956 likely played a part along with changing demographics (population shift south), environmental (tough to practice football in the off-season in the winter with 2 feet of snow on the field), and exposure and acceptance of different sports (soccer, basketball, lax, etc.).
Coming out of one of the Historic Hotbeds of Football , the lower Naugatuck Valley.
It seems with the de -industrialization of Ct the tough blue collar kid who saw football as their ticket out of the factories has disappeared with it.
The powers in football in Ct with few exceptions seems to come from wealthy areas,or regional schools. Many of the kids that play today don't need football .

Growing up New Britain, Stamford, Hillhouse,
Ansonia , were the powers .even Warren Harding and awest Haven had its moments.
Schools like Derby,Shelton, East Haven, Seymour ,Southington although smaller Aldo had their moments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coming out of one of the Historic Hotbeds of Football , the lower Naugatuck Valley.
It seems with the de -industrialization of Ct the tough blue collar kid who saw football as their ticket out of the factories has disappeared with it.
The powers in football in Ct with view exceptions seems to come from wealthy areas,or regional schools. Many of the kids that play today don't need football .

Growing up New Britain, Stamford, Hillhouse,
Ansonia , were the powers .

I agree with that as CT football took a major it has industrial manufacturing vacated the state, primarily for down south (and overseas). Plus, many urban districts had a lot of hard financial decisions to make during suburban flight and football is a very expensive sport to run. Some districts like Stamford and Hillhouse, pulled back from football (but, still have good basketball programs as that sport is a lot cheaper) while others kept funding football and sacrificed elsewhere like Ansonia, New Britain (somewhat), and Derby (in the 80's, district basically went bankrupt and then football fell). Thus, the shift in CT football strength towns/programs with more resources (Fairfield Prep, Cheshire, Glastonbury, etc.).

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert retweeted
Warchant.com @Warchant · 2h 2 hours ago
FSU plans budget cuts to offset $2 million annual increase for 'full cost of attendance.' https://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1744745…

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 2h 2 hours ago
@Warchant @IraSchoffel Wow... ACCN to the rescue....

According to Warchant FSY will institute a 2 percent budget cut across the board in Seminole athletics to fund FCoA scholarships.

If FSU has to institute budget cuts what are others ACC schools going to do?

@swh71 ACC TV money is the least among the P5. The revenue problems are real.

@flugempire Take note of FSU's budget cuts... interesting concerning our convo about ACCN & revenue.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1h 1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV Middle and bottom of ACC/Big 12 will struggle in new world of D1 athletics...FSU will be ok for now...but need new REV stream

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 40m 40 minutes ago
@flugempire The importance of the ACCN is becoming even more apparent.

Reaction Score
Found it on Warchant....see my post on other thread.
"We've basically asked every unit in our department to look at their budgets and implement a 2 percent cut in their budget," said Wilcox, who is in his second year as FSU's athletics director. "We're looking to take care of this issue in-house without having to rely on [Seminole] Boosters for any additional dollars."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How Michigan State is handling:

"
"We're looking at $1 million to $1.5 million in new expenditures here at Michigan State on an annual basis.

"Those dollars are going to have to come from donors and other sources of revenue that we have, but I would come back and say, it's something that's been done on our campus in other areas."

Reaction Score
How Michigan State is handling:

"
"We're looking at $1 million to $1.5 million in new expenditures here at Michigan State on an annual basis.

"Those dollars are going to have to come from donors and other sources of revenue that we have, but I would come back and say, it's something that's been done on our campus in other areas."

"Other areas"???

Dantonio just got a $2 million retention bonus, bringing his salary $5.6 million. Izzo makes $3,893,954.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I think it's a mix of both. Our best high school sports are probably in this order: basketball, then football or baseball, followed by hockey.

This, though, really isn't fair to hockey because more than in any other sport, the best players go to private high schools either in state or out of state that play in leagues akin to small college conferences, or they're playing juniors or even National Development Team and not playing in public high school.

But in terms of how many kids go pro relative to how many roster spots there are, we probably produce more NHLers than pros in any other sport.

Football is big here, but mostly to watch. The Giants and Patriots, and to a lesser extent, the Jets, are wildly popular but it seems more kids are finding success in baseball, basketball and hockey.

UConn's success in basketball I think has had a lot to do with a lot of basketball being played. Having had the Whalers way back when has led to a generation of kids coming into the NHL within the past decade or so, and baseball has always been huge here due to the proximity of the Yankees and Red Sox and their epic rivalry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom