Non-Key Tweets | Page 165 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Just shoot me now and put me out of my misery! This again?

If we put our basketball with the teams that comprise "the conference now called the Big East" I would lose all interest. It is the big East in name only. Is it better than the AAC, probably. But it would signal surrender, and I'm not ready to surrender yet.

Then put our football program in the MAC and it tells the whole football would that we have surrendered and given up.

If the school gives up this way, so will I. I'll still bleed Husky blue, but not live and die by our sports anymore. I'll just move on with casual interest.

Reaction Score

I appreciate the desire to have UConn join the New Big East, but the writer is either 12 years old or clueless. Actually, I'm being unfair to twelve year olds. The following is just some of the inaccuracies.

- UConn didn't leave the Big East and did not join a new conference.
- UConn's Field Hockey doesn't travel to Dallas to play SMU, they are members of the NBE!
- UConn's reported football attendance was not 24,000, it was slightly over 27,000.
- None of these universities, aside from Georgetown, are national universities. USNWR doesn't even categorize these universities with UConn.
- SMU is ranked in the top 25.
- The NBE is having a better year this year, and may indeed be a better conference top to bottom, but they performed worse than the American last year, even when you back out Louisville.
- When you divide $500M by 12 years and 10 teams you get $4.1M. He can't even do basic math.
- The ACC contract is about $2.2M ($1.9M [ESPN] & .3M [CBS]. Also, the ACC (if it stays intact) is 3 years away from negotiating an increase. The NBE will be making the same draw a decade from now.
- He avoids the advantage of the AAC's guaranteed national TV exposure and ratings delta. Has anyone watched Seton Hall play this year? I haven't, but I've been force fed a bunch of UCF, Tulane and ECU.
- Who has watched a MAC football game on TV this year? Not many.
- He doesn't bother to mention the exit money and NCAA tourney payout.
- I could go on. . .

It's nice to feel wanted, but the guy is an idiot (or at the very least not qualified to writing on this topic).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One Media Assignment Right case that I know of is that of the Beatles. They signed away the rights to much of their song catalog in the 1970's.

It was a mistake and Paul and Yoko banded together to attempt to buy back those rights in the mid 80's. Michael Jackson outbid them leading to some ill will between Sir Paul and MJ.

The Beatles, for three decades, have not owned the rights to their material.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
In your scenario, who are you pairing with VA?

In the (not my) scenario where BIG goers after UVa, Big Jim has unlimited options he can play with after word gets out. He does not have to add pairs, this is not a prerequisite. Swofford could move north and shore up the east coast, but I feel he would look west first. If he is able to pry a UT, well, now Jim has OU, Kansas, perhaps UNC, and others in play. Sometimes you play your hand, sometimes you let the other guy play his. The unfortunate paert for UConn is that we are now the option that is always there, if needed. We're the cute chick at the bar at 1 am who will put out if a P5 makes eye contact, but they are still trying to hit on the hot chicks

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
More to the point, Va Tech to the B1G would be a loss for ESPN. If Va Tech were really serious about leaving the ACC, the SEC would probably emerge as a competitor. The ACC wouldn't mind losing a non-UNC school in North Carolina, so NC State and VA Tech to the SEC would greatly strengthen the SECN and would not harm a possible ACCN that much. Losing NC State and Va Tech and adding UConn and Cincy might actually strengthen an ACC Network, though it would probably hurt the ACC's cohesion and overall strength. But I could see ESPN pitching this move, if a Va Tech departure seemed inevitable. Va Tech + UConn to the B1G would harm the ACC's competitive standing more than NC State and Va Tech to the SEC with UConn and Cincy backfilling.

If Va Tech chose to go to the SEC, then the B1G would still not have a partner for UConn, and might let UConn go to the ACC. Which would be disappointing for us.

UConn to the ACC would not be disappointing. Staying here in the American is disappointing. I might slightly prefer the B1G to the ACC, but just slightly. The problem, as always, is the damage done as we wait. Ollie needs to field a top 25 team next year, which looks unlikely. Diaco needs to get to a bowl. It has to happen. There is no more time.

Reaction Score
One Media Assignment Right case that I know of is that of the Beatles. They signed away the rights to much of their song catalog in the 1970's.

It was a mistake and Paul and Yoko banded together to attempt to buy back those rights in the mid 80's. Michael Jackson outbid them leading to some ill will between Sir Paul and MJ.

The Beatles, for three decades, have not owned the rights to their material.

That's really not a comparable situation, though. The Beatles haven't owned the rights to their material because they were flatly sold outright for a fee. Most musicians, as with most work-for-hire artists, never do 'own' the rights to their material.

The Beatles only owned their material because they were co-owners of the publishing company in which they worked with since they had the foresight to start their own publishing company ahead of time. Like most artists, they received 50% of publishing royalties as mechanical songwriters (which they continued to receive all along, even after the sale of the company), but the other 50% went to the publisher. They opted to take the company public and had shares in the newly-created public offering. Eventually the publishing company was sold, and they were PAID for their shares. Paul later tried to buy the company back, but Michael Jackson outbid him.

So while the Beatles haven't owned the rights to their songs, they still continued to receive mechanical songwriting royalties all along. They didn't own publishing rights after selling them, but that's pretty standard for the industry. Few artists ever do.

As an aside, due to copyright laws, Paul and the estate of Lennon, are due to receive back the publishing rights in a few years.

Reaction Score
Those publishing rights were worth $100+ million according to accounts when MJ's estate was estimated.

But...a program that signs a Big 12 or ACC GOR has, in fact, sold their media rights for a period of time. The proceeds of that sale are millions every year and more exposure.

While contracts such as the combined media/GOR contracts could be wrangled over in the courts, it would be mightily expensive to do so and one would have to have a solid legal footing. Not just a "I don't want to play anymore".

Reaction Score
Ollie needs to field a top 25 team next year, which looks unlikely. Diaco needs to get to a bowl. It has to happen. There is no more time.

I still think we have a run in us this year (in Hartford in the AAC tourney) and we get to the sweet 16. As for next year, Brimah will eventually become a force (i hope), and assuming Hamilton and Purvis improve, we should have a shot. It seems like we need to be an underdog to play tough. The current team is at least accelerating the schedule for when we get back to an underdog role.

I also think a B1G invite is imminent however, so take any positivity with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
I still think we have a run in us this year (in Hartford in the AAC tourney) and we get to the sweet 16. As for next year, Brimah will eventually become a force (i hope), and assuming Hamilton and Purvis improve, we should have a shot. It seems like we need to be an underdog to play tough. The current team is at least accelerating the schedule for when we get back to an underdog role.

I also think a B1G invite is imminent however, so take any positivity with a grain of salt.

UConn should be able to be very competitive in the AAC in football. To make Top 25, though, from the AAC, one would have to lose no more than two games.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 6h6 hours ago
Virginia Tech moved up again in the new Research Rankings that has just been released....now at 38th. Va Tech moved past Rutgers & Maryland

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 6h 6 hours ago
USF in the 2013 rankings moved up to #43. UCF still out of the top 100.

The Pro Big Ten faction within Virginia Tech, and its a big one which includes Timothy Sands, will keep growing as VT plays Big Ten schools

You must be a Big Research University and be moving up to be considered by the Big Ten...unless you are an Oklahoma at #82 (NEB #81)

UCONN at #86 will be moving up in next 5 years. But for those who were sore at me b/c my UCONN to Big Ten scenarios mostly included 2024...

....well....this is why. Big Ten Presidents look at research expenditures as thier personal scoreboard. Right or wrong...research $ matters

@huskyhal UCONN will keep improving because the state has backed them up. Susan Herbst is pulling the right strings...just needs 5-7 years

Chris Martin ‏@UChrisF 6h6 hours ago
@flugempire Curious, could you share the link you're reading from? I want to see all the rankings now.

@UChrisF For some reason Im not able to link it up with my Pad. I will try later on different device. These numbers are for 2013...new

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 5h 5 hours ago
Either 1) Big 12 is run by the biggest bunch of non visionary horse n buggy leaders or 2) fear of UT/OU leaving in 2025 is papable.

ME: 2024? That's plenty of time for the ACC to shape up and make this exercise all moot.

Reaction Score
You wonder why a league like the B1G couldn't make this work as follows:

1) Your payout will eventually be X
2) For years 1-10 this will be reduced by your buy-in to the BTN of Y
3) For years 1-7 (or however many years are left in the GOR) this will be reduced by Z due to the fact that we don't broadcast your games
4) So the net number is for years 1-7 is X-Y-Z, for years 8-10 X-Y, and year 11 going forward is X, oh and by the way all even for years 1-7 you will earn more than your current league share.

Waaaaaaaay to much algebra in that post!

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech moved up again in the new Research Rankings that has just been released....now at 38th. Va Tech moved past Rutgers & Maryland

USF in the 2013 rankings moved up to #43. UCF still out of the top 100.

The Pro Big Ten faction within Virginia Tech, and its a big one which includes Timothy Sands, will keep growing as VT plays Big Ten schools

You must be a Big Research University and be moving up to be considered by the Big Ten...unless you are an Oklahoma at #82 (NEB #81)

UCONN at #86 will be moving up in next 5 years. But for those who were sore at me b/c my UCONN to Big Ten scenarios mostly included 2024...

....well....this is why. Big Ten Presidents look at research expenditures as thier personal scoreboard. Right or wrong...research $ matters

@huskyhal UCONN will keep improving because the state has backed them up. Susan Herbst is pulling the right strings...just needs 5-7 years

Chris Martin ‏@UChrisF 6h6 hours ago
@flugempire Curious, could you share the link you're reading from? I want to see all the rankings now.

@UChrisF For some reason Im not able to link it up with my Pad. I will try later on different device. These numbers are for 2013...new

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 5h 5 hours ago
Either 1) Big 12 is run by the biggest bunch of non visionary horse n buggy leaders or 2) fear of UT/OU leaving in 2025 is papable.

ME: 2024? That's plenty of time for the ACC to shape up and make this exercise all moot.
We heard more than a decade ago that academics mattered when BCU and Miami went to the ACC because they we academically superior to other BE teams. Then we saw Louisville taken to the ACC with horrible academic standing. Research, no research, nothing like that really matters. I don't know who you are or what your credentials are, but I believe that you are full of it. I would like to know what great research is coming out of Rutgers. I haven't seen anything in the national news about any earth shattering research coming out of Rutgers, or any B1G schools of late. I don't think you really know much, if anything.

Reaction Score
UConn's Atheltic department cannot last until 2024 in the AAC. Football and other sports will need to be cut back materially by then. The AD will lose tens of millions of dollars per year. Unless the state bails them out

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
We heard more than a decade ago that academics mattered when BCU and Miami went to the ACC because they we academically superior to other BE teams. Then we saw Louisville taken to the ACC with horrible academic standing. Research, no research, nothing like that really matters. I don't know who you are or what your credentials are, but I believe that you are full of it. I would like to know what great research is coming out of Rutgers. I haven't seen anything in the national news about any earth shattering research coming out of Rutgers, or any B1G schools of late. I don't think you really know much, if anything.

You're an angry elf, aren't you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thank you for pointing out my ignorance. But...yes I am angry. Not an elf, but really angry...and I don't believe that anything that I said is not true.

Besides the point that most of what you said is 100% wrong...

You are addressing CoastAtlantic - who didn't make those comments. Greg Fluguar did on Twitter.

Reaction Score

You are addressing CoastAtlantic - who didn't make those comments. Greg Fluguar did on Twitter.

Never mind!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn's Atheltic department cannot last until 2024 in the AAC. Football and other sports will need to be cut back materially by then. The AD will lose tens of millions of dollars per year. Unless the state bails them out
When does the Big East money end? 2017? That's 7 years of a very big hemorrhage. I don't see we could sustain it that long without a very dramatic improvement in the AAC TV money, an amazing IMG deal, or a white knight stepping in.

Reaction Score
Those publishing rights were worth $100+ million according to accounts when MJ's estate was estimated.

But...a program that signs a Big 12 or ACC GOR has, in fact, sold their media rights for a period of time. The proceeds of that sale are millions every year and more exposure.

While contracts such as the combined media/GOR contracts could be wrangled over in the courts, it would be mightily expensive to do so and one would have to have a solid legal footing. Not just a "I don't want to play anymore".

The bolded selection is where people continue to miss the mark, though. The schools are not "selling" their rights at all. They still inherently own them. They're granting exclusive usage of those rights for a set duration, but they're not selling them. It's more like a lease than a sale.

Reaction Score
When you SELL exclusive usage for a set period...you do exactly as I related...."sold their media rights for a period of time". Any sale of exclusive usage for a set period is like a lease.

You are repeating what I said..in different words. A lease of rights is the same as a sale of time limited rights....just different words.

ESPN purchased the rights to ACC sports televising..and the GOR and the ESPN agreement are, like the Big 12 GOR, intertwined and reference each other.

No surprise since the Big 12 assisted the ACC to fashion the GOR....... from Bowlsby's reporting.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that royalty rights to songs (or any literature) equates to a GOR as royalties are paid on a usage basis (I don't believe that Oklahoma's media revenue per the deals in place are variable, depending on how many of their games are televised) but I'll play along for this:

At any time, royalty rights (once they hit the open market) can be bought and sold. The GOR can be monetized. The risk factor at the moment is that the cost of release from a GOR is unknown and the benefit of release at the moment is not leading anyone to attempt to pursue a release. This can change very easily and quickly if the B1G or SEC decide it is time to expand further. If a school decides they want to leave the ACC or B-12 for a spot in the B1G or SEC (once that is offered) monetary compensation to the former conference will be the result. If the school and the conference they are leaving cannot come to an agreement (most likely scenario as things have played out over the past decade or so) arbitration or litigation will eventually determine the compensation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that a conference with a grant of rights is going to count on suing another conference with a grant of rights.

In terms of Virginia Tech's availability to the Big Ten prior to the expiration of the current ACC television contract, I would put it at zero percent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that a conference with a grant of rights is going to count on suing another conference with a grant of rights.

In terms of Virginia Tech's availability to the Big Ten prior to the expiration of the current ACC television contract, I would put it at zero percent.
Perhaps, but the likelihood would increase at the GOR term nears the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom