Nolan/Amida | The Boneyard

Nolan/Amida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should spend 40 minutes between them at the 5 this year. The each bring something to the table.

Amida showed a really surprising and soft TRUE jump hook, even on the move. He was 3/3 and they each looked SMOOTH. Also, blocked like 3 shots into the 3rd row. Kid needs to put on like 20 lbs, but you have to love the athleticism, feel for the game, and hustle. Kid motors.

Nolan was LIGHT YEARS more confident/patient on offense. 6 boards in 11 minutes, and showed some actual honest to god touch near the tin.

All in all we got 17 pts, 9 reb, 5 blocks, and 2 steals from the Center spot. in 28 minutes.

I guess the final note of this post will have to be negative. Tyler should average about 2.5 minutes a game this year. Those minutes should only come when we are in foul trouble. He looked terrible. Against a D2 team.

Reaction Score
Should spend 40 minutes between them at the 5 this year. The each bring something to the table.

Amida showed a really surprising and soft TRUE jump hook, even on the move. He was 3/3 and they each looked SMOOTH. Also, blocked like 3 shots into the 3rd row. Kid needs to put on like 20 lbs, but you have to love the athleticism, feel for the game, and hustle. Kid motors.

Nolan was LIGHT YEARS more confident/patient on offense. 6 boards in 11 minutes, and showed some actual honest to god touch near the tin.

All in all we got 17 pts, 9 reb, 5 blocks, and 2 steals from the Center spot. in 28 minutes.

I guess the final note of this post will have to be negative. Tyler should average about 2.5 minutes a game this year. Those minutes should only come when we are in foul trouble. He looked terrible. Against a D2 team.

Tyler is not the team's hope, but realize that he is coming off surgery. He is not ready yet.

Reaction Score
Tyler is not the team's hope, but realize that he is coming off surgery. He is not ready yet.

Not knockin the kid(though I could, with all of the stupid stuff he's done). But even in peak health and condition, he is simply not on Nolan/Brimah level. He should embrace his role this year: towel waver, foul-trouble guy.

Reaction Score
Not knockin the kid(though I could, with all of the stupid stuff he's done). But even in peak health and condition, he is simply not on Nolan/Brimah level. He should embrace his role this year: towel waver, foul-trouble guy.
Agreed.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan has developed a great ability to screen and create separation on offense. He had his defender sealed at one point and was screaming for the ball and DeAndre just kind of looked like he didn't want to throw it to him. Finally, he flicked it over but was about 5 feet short and the pass was picked off. Turnovers aside, I loved what I saw out of DD tonight and aside from the 1-4 from the stripe, Nolan was impressive as well. I don't think I have to say anything about Brimah.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In the game thread I wrote:

Brimah is gonna rock this season. The kid looks totally into the game and I am saying this by watching him last Saturday. He won't take any plays off. Very excited by him. Plus, he ain't as thin as some make him out to be. He is solid muscle thin.

Nolan exuded the confidence of a kid who will play a lot. The 5 spot is going to be well-manned this season and beyond.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
PN and AB were both stellar and deserve all the accolades that they are getting for this game.

However, TO did not give the awful performance purported in this thread. He didn't turn the ball over, had 3 rebs and 3 steals in only 12 minutes of action. I think he deserved the minutes that he got tonight.

Reaction Score
PN and AB were both stellar and deserve all the accolades that they are getting for this game.

However, TO did not give the awful performance purported in this thread. He didn't turn the ball over, had 3 rebs and 3 steals in only 12 minutes of action. I think he deserved the minutes that he got tonight.

He looks out of shape though.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Only awful thing Tyler did tonight was attempt that 3, although I blame Shabazz for tempting him with the drive and kick.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Amida needs to learn how to set a screen. Really set one, not just go to a spot and stand there for a half a second.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tyler's a known quantity at this point. He's the guy that anchored a front court that ranked 233rd in the country in rebounding last year.

He plays hard, but he's marginal at this level - we need rebounding and he's a guy who will deliver 3.5 rebounds in 20 minutes a game. He's had two double-digit rebound games in his career and they were back to back against Maine and Coppin State two years ago. All things considered, Giffey is a more productive rebounder than Tyler - if he gets 21 minutes again this year, we're not very good.

Far better to sink or swim with the higher upside of Brimah and Nolan and keep Olander as a five-foul plan C at center.

Reaction Score
That was a much more eloquent attempt at saying Nolan and Brimah need to share to bulk of the minutes........Tyler is what he is and has had some moments as a Husky in his career so there is no need for people to crap on him like they do. But as of tonight Nolan has grown up a bit and Brimah will have many many more "moments" in his career and they could begin as a frosh!!!

Reaction Score
"mauconnfan, post: 736057, member: 489"]That was a much more eloquent attempt at saying Nolan and Brimah need to share to bulk of the minutes........Tyler is what he is and has had some moments as a Husky in his career so there is no need for people to crap on him like they do. But as of tonight Nolan has grown up a bit and Brimah will have many many more "moments" in his career and they could begin as a frosh!!![/quote]

Lets be honest here, unless UConn is playing Notre Dame, nobody really wants to see Tyler on the floor for extended minutes. He averages fewer rebounds than our 6' point guard.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Consistancy is not a trait of most twenty-one year olds. Tyler has been throughout his career the model of inconsistency. He has been given every chance to thrive, but has only done so in isolated games. He was big against Syracuse in the 2011 BE tourney and MSU last year in Germany. He will get minutes and he will have some good games this year. Just don't expect it night in and night out from him. He is one of the most experienced players on the team ane has the capacity to have a solid performance any given night and played solid D last night.

caw

Reaction Score
Tyler brings one thing the other bigs don't, some bulk.

That said, he looks behind those two if not Facey as well.

In an ideal world Nolan gets 25-28 minutes a night at the 4/5 and Daniels gets 28-32 at the 4. That leaves about 20-27 minutes at the 4/5. Id like Brimah to be able to eat at least 10 minutes a night. The other 10-17 split between Giffey, Facey and Olander. A lot will depend on the opponent and score of course.

If Brimah and Nolan can hold down the five, UConn became a true contender.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
I think that trying to assign minutes is not always the best coaching technique. Seeing who steps up on any given night is what should dictate who gets the PT.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is one thing that TO might be able to provide. Playing the backup 4, which is his better position, and running plays through him at the top of the key. He did that successfully in the past. Last season he was "forced" to play the 5 because Wolf and Nolan were very limited, but with a developing Nolan and Brimah as the backup, KO can consider putting TO at the four for limited stretches. Of course NG and KF may prevent this from happening and KO has stated he wants to experiment with Nolan and Brimah playing together.

It will be interesting to see how KO settles on these options. At least this season has potential options. Last season it was band aid by committee.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tyler is a great story. Local kid who has managed to carve out a niche on a national big time team. I'm proud of him. Having said that, I think it's pretty clear to most everyone that he's not the answer for an extended period of time. But he does bring experience to the table and I'm glad we have him.

I find it interesting that we were all so ecstatic when Facey was cleared, and after the first game, we realize he's not going to be THE major player in the post - Brimah and Nolan are. Love Facey's upside, but he has some developing to do it seems...

Reaction Score
I just love Amida. He needs to bulk up a little, but you just sense he is loving it out there. Of course, when the student section started chanting en mass "Amida, Amida, ..." when he left the game, why wouldn't he. I think he is a keeper. Plus when is the last time you saw a 7 footer as agile as him?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Tyler is a great story. Local kid who has managed to carve out a niche on a national big time team. I'm proud of him. Having said that, I think it's pretty clear to most everyone that he's not the answer for an extended period of time. But he does bring experience to the table and I'm glad we have him.

I find it interesting that we were all so ecstatic when Facey was cleared, and after the first game, we realize he's not going to be THE major player in the post - Brimah and Nolan are. Love Facey's upside, but he has some developing to do it seems...

Great story? Way to lay it on thick.

Guy was a scholarship player and hasn't gotten any better since his freshman year.. Now maybe he wasn't cut out for this level ( likely ) but he's certainly not earned himself any goodwill with his off the court antics either.

Reaction Score
I think that trying to assign minutes is not always the best coaching technique. Seeing who steps up on any given night is what should dictate who gets the PT.
Not so much 'assigning minutes' but ollie should have clearly stated what role each player has to the team. Everybody comes to practice, games , knowing their jobs ; that's important. for instance, he obviously let Giff know to let it rip from 3, so if he misses his first 2 you still don't doghouse him. think ollie is struggling with the 5 man roles, hell get a clearly picture after Barclays.

U

UCONNfan1

Great story? Way to lay it on thick.

Guy was a scholarship player and hasn't gotten any better since his freshman year.. Now maybe he wasn't cut out for this level ( likely ) but he's certainly not earned himself any goodwill with his off the court antics either.
Man, I hope you don't have any kids. A few mistakes and them. No goodwill for them. Ever.

Tyler screwed up. Paid the price. He's a 20 year old young man. And he will provide 5 fouls and hopefully give solid minutes off the bench. But he's a local kid playing for his dream school. I guess I'm just more of a "give the kid a break" than "screw him"... If Ollie's cool with Tyler, then so am I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom