NIL payouts - ridiculous amounts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NIL payouts - ridiculous amounts

Reaction Score
And they’re gonna stink with 1 good player. Why not give 4 starters half a mill each instead.
That is my question, too. It seems like it's a poor allocation of resources. Now, having said that, I don't know how much the other 4 starters and bench players are being paid in relation to how good they are. If they are getting paid much less and are mediocre players, the coaching staff of University of Washington might have the idea in their head that Great Osoboor can be the 1 man team that puts the others on his back and carries them to an NCAA berth and then hope good luck hits them once in they are in the Big Dance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Go ahead spend a billion bucks for all I care, while we remain hungry. Could a team spending the most NIL money win it all sure but it would be a cheesy title.
Like a Helms Bakery cheese danish?

Reaction Score
"I know someone just became the highest-paid player, and I wouldn't want to have that label," Hawkins said. "I'd be making a good amount, but that's a lot of added pressure when you label yourself that.

"I've had lots of offers. I've had offers to sign with agencies. I'm not a person who is moved by money, and if I'm being honest with you, to have that label is just an unwanted amount of pressure because as soon as you do something wrong, as soon as anything happens, as soon as you have a bad game, people are just going to question all that money. So even if I did come back to school, I'd let you guys guess whatever amount I got. I would never share that information because, I mean if I'm being honest, it's kind of selfish. Not only for yourself but for your teammates knowing what you made. I wouldn't have those conversations with my teammates. I wouldn't want anyone to know what I made."

Reaction Score
I believe scotus said no cap.
I don't see how this stays without some kind of cap and more importantly, some kind of revenue sharing among all the sports at a university. Paying the kids is accepted now but it's going to have to be paying all the kids that play sports at a school not saying evenly but I think they would all have to benefit otherwise the system will be up for legal attack? I think the cap will need to be put in place to try and level the playing field so that we aren't left with 30-40 schools dominating NCAAF and NCAAB. But NIL and collectives are only part of the issue for us, I expect that media rights deals will go up in value and may soon generate $100+ million of annual revenue to the "power schools" - - at some point, the deficit for UConn may be insurmountable and this means not only not being able to pay "market" for players but also for coaches and staff and not being able to maintain and improve facilities.

Reaction Score
I don't see how this stays without some kind of cap and more importantly, some kind of revenue sharing among all the sports at a university. Paying the kids is accepted now but it's going to have to be paying all the kids that play sports at a school not saying evenly but I think they would all have to benefit otherwise the system will be up for legal attack? I think the cap will need to be put in place to try and level the playing field so that we aren't left with 30-40 schools dominating NCAAF and NCAAB. But NIL and collectives are only part of the issue for us, I expect that media rights deals will go up in value and may soon generate $100+ million of annual revenue to the "power schools" - - at some point, the deficit for UConn may be insurmountable and this means not only not being able to pay "market" for players but also for coaches and staff and not being able to maintain and improve facilities.
This all seems like a well planned move to strengthen the power of the biggest of the "P" leagues. They get the most money on media rights, use it to buy the best players, and vanquish the "lesser" leagues and their teams.

Enjoy what we have while we can.............unless that magical invitation to be the flagship for the B1G in the Northeast happens to come along. They'll eventually have to invite us because their inability to win basketball championships is becoming more and more embarrassing and they can absorb another bottom feeder in football.

Reaction Score
What is the governmental interest in requiring/allowing there to be a salary cap?

In essence...why should the government interfere with the free-market?

Reaction Score
What is the governmental interest in requiring/allowing there to be a salary cap?

In essence...why should the government interfere with the free-market?
Love your post I find it amusing how every day I see something about putting a salary cap on NIL
I doubt you will get any one answering the questions you have posed
If there is a real economic problem in college sports, it’s escalating costs , coaching salaries, staff salaries, compliance, salaries, travel, expense, larger facilities, recruiting costs and I could go on and on clearly an “arms race”
Yet I’ve never heard anyone call for a salary cap on any of those things

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom