Niels Giffey Commits to UCONN | The Boneyard

Niels Giffey Commits to UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
"Niels Giffey has always been a big Ray Allen fan, even when the former UConn star struggled at times during the NBA finals.

It’s that appreciation for Allen, and many of the other great wing players that have come through Storrs, that helped Giffey, a German native, decide to commit to the Huskies on Friday morning."

I remember reading this when he committed... So glad he committed, one of my favorite players

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2010/06/nothing-iffy-about-giffey.html

Reaction Score
"Niels Giffey has always been a big Ray Allen fan, even when the former UConn star struggled at times during the NBA finals.

It’s that appreciation for Allen, and many of the other great wing players that have come through Storrs, that helped Giffey, a German native, decide to commit to the Huskies on Friday morning."

I remember reading this when he committed... So glad he committed, one of my favorite players

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2010/06/nothing-iffy-about-giffey.html

Im calling it right now we will win national championships with this German yeah thats right I didnt mistype not 1 but 2 national championships mark my words.

Reaction Score
I was hoping this thread was about his younger brother. I'd take another Giffey in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Sadly he's an only child. We'll have to wait for NG Jr.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Can you remember another Husky whose career flew by faster than Giffey's? OK, maybe Nate Miles', Doug Wrenn's and Andre Drummond's......but you get my point. Niels, we hardly knew ye'

Reaction Score
breezy said:
“I can play positions 1 through 4,” Giffey said. “I’m a very versatile player." If only Niels knew he'd have to guard 5's as well en route to a second title.

I think he also found out that there is no way he could play the 1 at this level.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Book end championships! Such a great, loyal, humble, underrated player uconn owes so much to him. Thank you so much neils we wont forget you, we wish you nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
How many college kids have 2 national championships. I can only think of the Florida guys.. Noah, Horford.. etc. and the Duke guys... Laettner, Hurley, Hill. 64 team era of course. That's it. Just amazing.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say auf wiedersehen too soon to NG. By a few reports he tore it up in Portsmouth, Coach O. has said all year how much he loves NG and he's very coachable while constantly trying to get better. Another bonus to playing at UCONN is that all the NBA people who love and respect our Coach will give NG a serious look. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Coach has been working the phones telling NBA people to give him a shot. Plus, all the international guys, like Tony Parker, have played against him and know how good he is.

Reaction Score
Do we need to say a "thank you" to Roscoe Smith? Wasn't it Scoe's commitment to UConn that upset Cleveland Melvin and caused him to back out of his commitment and that 'ship was then offered to F Neils Giffey? ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 17
Reaction Score
Do we need to say a "thank you" to Roscoe Smith? Wasn't it Scoe's commitment to UConn that upset Cleveland Melvin and caused him to back out of his commitment and that 'ship was then offered to F Neils Giffey? ;)
Didn't Melvin also walk off the team? Saved us another APR mess.

Reaction Score
"The Huskies now have six freshmen coming in: Giffey, Roscoe Smith, Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier, Tyler Olander and Michael Bradley. "

No burger boys here. At the time, who among us would ever have predicted this would be our most accomplished freshman class ever?

Reaction Score
As a freshman, I liked him but he was timid. His best move was the pivot.
As a soph, he showed his D capability, occasionally actually dribbled and showed nuance knowledge that preordained his glueness.
As a junior, he started to understand open areas, his own physical advantages and actually took it to the hoop at times. All the while, filling all the columns on the stat sheet.
As a senior, he increasingly asserted himself, showing growing leadership along the way. He battled bigger and smaller guys. He took his summer shot training with Germany into the AAC and beyond.
Into the beyond and on to glory.
We love ya, Niels.

Reaction Score
Can you remember another Husky whose career flew by faster than Giffey's? OK, maybe Nate Miles', Doug Wrenn's and Andre Drummond's.but you get my point. Niels, we hardly knew ye'
? Seemed like he was at Storrs for a decade.

Reaction Score
Can you remember another Husky whose career flew by faster than Giffey's? OK, maybe Nate Miles', Doug Wrenn's and Andre Drummond's.but you get my point. Niels, we hardly knew ye'

Andrew Bynum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99