Next year's starting lineup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next year's starting lineup

Reaction Score
Has Meg Walker been considered a once-in-decade type player? I remember DT was thought to be that and I can remember Hoopgulrlz gushing over Maya Moore in a tournament as a junior saying they hadn't seen that type of play that she was unreal.

As far as ball-handling; why?

Nurse and Williams handle the ball like guards.
Lou handles the ball extremely like a guard but not quick.
Supposedly Stevens handles the ball extremely well and so Collier's handle will improve. It's pretty good now.
Without focusing too much on a negative, after seeing quick guards fly by UConn defenders that past few games, suspect Geno will focus more on defense. He will have a team full of shooters but needs a shut down defender (or two).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I read somewhere that never has a player come to Uconn who wasn't a high school All American, that ended up an All American while at Uconn. Yes Stevens has high skill set and Geno is the one coach who can get her to use ever bit of that unique skill set, but I think we shouldn't place such high expectations on Stevens. She was just ok while at dude, and I can't remember her ever playing/having to play center.
She was "just ok at Duke"???

Her last season there she was at 18.9 ppg (#2 in ACC), 9.6 rpg (#1 in ACC). 1st Team All-ACC and HM AA (nationally).

That's a bit better than "just ok".

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Her last season there she was at 18.9 ppg (#2 in ACC), 9.6 rpg (#1 in ACC). 1st Team All-ACC and HM AA (nationally).

Thanks Meyers...the amount of misinformation here needs posts like that..

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks Meyers...the amount of misinformation here needs posts like that..
55435556.jpg

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't like having more than 12 scholarship players, and next year there'll be 14 (correct me if wrong).

Any opinions out there as to whether to redshirt a couple players?

I'm for it; why waste a player's year when they'd be sitting at the end of the bench getting zero minutes simply because of numbers.

Reaction Score
There is NO chance that Stevens doesn't start next year!

I had avoided this in another thread on KLS, because it is far too early to even speculate. However, Steven off the bench? This would give the coach at Duke the last laugh. And I do not seen any of the seniors sitting. Also, I seriously doubt that any of the freshmen will be ready to crack the starting line-up. But speculation is what it is, speculation. Of course, if we stumble we can always blame it on Chong's defense-- how she is a senior. My speculation. Stanford wins the whole thing, KLS is upset and leave for Stanford with her sisters blessing- and she talked Pheesa into following her. Dangerfield's defense rattles Geno and she is forced into calculating her options-- 'should I stay or should I leave?' It's all a joke, isn't it!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Beercats...So you would sit an AP All American!! Glad you said "no insight".

I never said I would. Although since you asked, yes I would sit an AA, same as Geno would, if the AA was not following his coaching. Geno said as much in the Oregon pre-game presser. Besides All-American is an opinion. My All-Americans from UCONN are Collier, Ms. Consistency, and Willams, the Dynamo. I even rate Nurse, the Leader, above Samuelson relative to being a total player, offense and defense, and leadership. KLS is a good 3FG shooter, 2nd best on UCONN. She is a needed integral part of the team. This is truly a team, maybe more so than most other UCONN teams, no superstar - "D", Maya, or Stewie. Free flowing unselfish teammates they are!

Reaction Score
Without focusing too much on a negative, after seeing quick guards fly by UConn defenders that past few games, suspect Geno will focus more on defense. He will have a team full of shooters but needs a shut down defender (or two).

That's why I have no problem having the 6'6 Stevens in the paint - hopefully a shot-blocker. Now 6'1 Collier is never forced to guard the big offensive weapon starting centers that have put her into foul trouble.

And now we can move Gabby to the perimeter and guard the quick guards too.

Reaction Score
I never said I would. Although since you asked, yes I would sit an AA, same as Geno would, if the AA was not following his coaching. Geno said as much in the Oregon pre-game presser. Besides All-American is an opinion. My All-Americans from UCONN are Collier, Ms. Consistency, and Willams, the Dynamo. I even rate Nurse, the Leader, above Samuelson relative to being a total player, offense and defense, and leadership. KLS is a good 3FG shooter, 2nd best on UCONN. She is a needed integral part of the team. This is truly a team, maybe more so than most other UCONN teams, no superstar - "D", Maya, or Stewie. Free flowing unselfish teammates they are!
Watch out the KLS apologists are now gunning for you. But I agree KLS is not the most complete player. She is the most hyped player on the team. There are some stating that she is a good ball handler and defender...eh

TBH she is slow. She does well against smaller or less athletic defenders. She is a excellent spot up jump shooter not as great if she has to create her own shot. If she is open with time to get off her shot- she is deadly.

To her credit she is trying to add post play, driving and defense to her game. She is improving noticeably. She is now making assists where she would most definitely shoot.
The truth is she is a 6'3" guard that can't defend good to elite guards. She is the tallest person in our starting line up but most certainly can't play inside or on the wing against B.Turner, A.Wilson, B.Jones, K.Brown or any other player 6'3"+.

This year the team is more than each of the individual parts. KLS is the shooting threat. Collier is a true post player who is very dangerous on the block, mid-range and on the outside. Gabby is a match up offensive and defensive nightmare. Nurse and Chong are dangerous combo guards. They can shoot anywhere, drive and defend. Together they are unstoppable.

Everyone can produce points and effect the momentum of the game. UCONN can't win without all 5 (six really) players producing.

Reaction Score
Watch out the KLS apologists are now gunning for you. But I agree KLS is not the most complete player. She is the most hyped player on the team. There are some stating that she is a good ball handler and defender...eh

TBH she is slow. She does well against smaller or less athletic defenders. She is a excellent spot up jump shooter not as great if she has to create her own shot. If she is open with time to get off her shot- she is deadly.

To her credit she is trying to add post play, driving and defense to her game. She is improving noticeably. She is now making assists where she would most definitely shoot.
The truth is she is a 6'3" guard that can't defend good to elite guards. She is the tallest person in our starting line up but most certainly can't play inside or on the wing against B.Turner, A.Wilson, B.Jones, K.Brown or any other player 6'3"+.

This year the team is more than each of the individual parts. KLS is the shooting threat. Collier is a true post player who is very dangerous on the block, mid-range and on the outside. Gabby is a match up offensive and defensive nightmare. Nurse and Chong are dangerous combo guards. They can shoot anywhere, drive and defend. Together they are unstoppable.

Everyone can produce points and effect the momentum of the game. UCONN can't win without all 5 (six really) players producing.
If you don't want KLS, every other team in the country would take her (Are trades legal in the NCAA?) I haven't thought of myself as a "KLS apologist", but she did just make first team AP AA today. Hey, let's bench her - she's slow.

Reaction Score
Watch out the KLS apologists are now gunning for you. But I agree KLS is not the most complete player. She is the most hyped player on the team. (1) There are some stating that she is a good ball handler and defender...eh

TBH she is slow. (2) and (3) She does well against smaller or less athletic defenders. She is a excellent spot up jump shooter not as great if she has to create her own shot. If she is open with time to get off her shot- she is deadly.

To her credit she is trying to add post play, driving and defense to her game. She is improving noticeably. (4) She is now making assists where she would most definitely shoot.
(5) The truth is she is a 6'3" guard that can't defend good to elite guards. She is the tallest person in our starting line up but most certainly can't play inside or on the wing against B.Turner, A.Wilson, B.Jones, K.Brown or any other player 6'3"+.

IMO your entire tone is not even close to what is really happening. I wonder if your tone is more of frustration because some fans appreciate Lou's game a lot more than you so you make some things up to try to tear them down and/or overanalyze the negatives similar to what the NBA did a long time ago with Cliff Robinson. The "Lou-apologists," really?

First off she IS a good ballhandler. She's not quick enough to "blow by defenders" but she IS a good ballhandler.

Secondly- when you speak of her height- imo your post sounds like code to never giver her any credit --- because do you realize she is 6'3? Otherwise how can you say "she does well vs smaller players" yet make the type of post you just made? Because she IS taller at the wing than any team that guards her. Yes she does well against smaller defender which means she does well A LOT which means she is an all-american.

Third- I guess you missed the games vs Texas, Notre Dame and Maryland? Unless you are trying to suggest they aren't "athletic?" Ohh that's right they were ALL smaller defenders too just as every other she has gone against was. :)

Fourth -- She is NOW making assists because she has recognized that her teammates are shooting well and she isn't. For example Gabby's shot seems to be taken with much more confidence now and Nurse has been BEYOND incredible shooting 3's. So the high-low is so efficient and Gabby shooting so well and Nurse's shooting amazing, why would you run curls for Lou? SO why focus on getting Lou to score? You wouldn't do that, would you? SO why wouldn't she be passing the ball more? She's smart like all UCONN players. Yet your tone "she is passing the ball now," you've twisted it to a negative from before.

What do you think would happen if Kia starts missing her 3's and Gabby misses a few jumpers and the becomes reluctant to shoot? I could also throw in Collier being in foul trouble IMO a poster like you when this happens you won't give any credit to Lou or you'll forget it like you forget the ND, Texas and Md. So if we lose in these scenarios it will be because 'Lou stopped passing the ball, right?"

Fifth- and again you look at all the negatives but I wonder if you've forgotten that all those good to elite guards are as you mentioned above "smaller than Lou." And if she can't guard those players at all then I guess when they say UCONN switches on everything it means Lou seldom had ot guard these good to elite guards over the course of the game? That's ridiculous imo.

Final points- the Golden State Warriors Steph Curry was a beast for a coupe of years and he wasn't "Mich00lle Cooper" defensively. So what? And as for the defenders against Lou- I remember watching a lot of matchups between Ewing and Olajuown. Ewing had a sweet jumper but you could see with Olajuwon sometimes he'd actually force Ewing to throw up his shot with more arch. With Lou- rarely have I seen an oppsoing team force her to arch her shot more etc. She just misses.

Reaction Score

Thank you for that fascinating assessment... but you're not Geno.... He sees something in her. And that's enough for me...

Reaction Score
YellwJcket999, if she's so horrible, why has she played the most minutes? When it all comes together for her, she will be great. She's an excellent passer, an incredible shooter who can post up and who can drive to the basket. She does need to improve moving laterally to stay in front of the ball handler, and she needs to get stronger, which she referenced her freshman year in the "Getting to know Katie Lou" video, which means she knows what she has to improve, and she will do the work needed to improve. By the way, you were a basketball star when you went to college, right?

Reaction Score
IF this year's team wins the NC, then:

F/C Stevens
F Collier
F Williams
SG Samuelson
PG Nurse

If no NC this year, or if the above lineup doesn't seem to be working early next year, then Crystal challenges Kia for starting PG.

Crystal is not challenging Kia for starting point guard.

Reaction Score
I know it's early to think about it, but that's the way I see it, too. Of course, all is subject to how each player shows up in pre-season practice, but overall, I cannot imagine a starting lineup without Kia and Gabby as leaders. It's their team to run.

Of course, the preponderance of opinion had Natalie Butler as the opening night starter for UConn this season. Saniya was supposed to come off the bench. Didn't quite work out that way.

Reaction Score

Duke also missed the NCAA TOURNAMENT with Stevens as there star player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Duke also missed the NCAA TOURNAMENT with Stevens as there star player.
Well if she was "their" star player, then she probably did better than OK, don't ya think?

Reaction Score
Crystal is not challenging Kia for starting point guard.

Ditto. Crystal gets the reins the year after next. Geno can trust Kia who has been a starter almost since Day 1 and has never lost a game in that role. I'm not sure why some people actually believe Kia could land on the bench next year. I sometimes wonder if we're all watching the same game. Crystal will be a great player but her time isn't here yet.

Reaction Score

Just a few points defending Lou.

"She does well against smaller or less athletic defenders" - I don't think this is true. Considiering she plays guard, most guards will be shorter. Opposing teams defend her with their best perimeter defender otherwise you'll see another 10 for 10 from behind the arc.

"There are some stating that she is a good ball handler and defender...eh" - You must have missed those coast to coast layups with a behind the back dribble and dribbling through traffic. Her defense is hot and warm (not cold) but could be better but how about those 5 steals in the Oregon game?

She is a excellent spot up jump shooter not as great if she has to create her own shot - Name a UConn other than starter Gabby Williams or backup Crystal that can create her own shot. The team rely on passing, screens and cuts.

She's just a sophomore who was named AAC co-player of the year as well as first team All American. She can't be that bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom