Next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next year

Reaction Score
Rebounding and dominant post-play has accounted for every National Championship (maybe Stanford aside?) since UConn’s last. It’s the true key to winning, in my opinion.
It's not true. In fact, SC went small in 16-17. That's what won them the title. Balance that's what wins.

In 17-18 UCONN didn't lose to Notre Dame because of dominant post play. They lost because of guard/wing play.

And last year can we really say the if Dorka didn't get hurt unable to play, that Liv being hurt while playing along with Azzi being sick would have had no outcome on the final game? Not saying UCONN would have won but you can't say dominant post play is the answer if they didn't have to compete against the most skilled team in the country being at near the same levle of health if we are comparing "styles of play." It's only fair to compare when both are equally healthy.

And the same goes for this year. How can anyone draw a conclusion about comparing great post play vs great perimeter play when the most skilled team has been excessively hurt this year (and last)?

SC – their senior guard last year was terrific too, right?

Overall, Balance wins. Balance wins. Balance wins. Not one (post or perimeter) or the other- but you need both.

Next year there might be a lot of people wanting to anoint UCONN an easy title if they stay healthy. But that isn’t reality. The way transfers happen now and in addition, all it takes is one big “Ruth Riley” with balance on the perimeter it can possibly expose UCONN not being as balanced as they should be. Us UCONN fans tend to overrate national size though because it’s our Achilles heel. There are probably other teams that have had terrific post play but don’t have the perimeter play to win and they will probably say “you need quality guards to win.” We as Husky fans just take that for granted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its not just size, but athleticism and speed. Aubrey's decision will be key. If she leaves for the WNBA, this UConn team may be slow.

Reaction Score
Or Aubrey and Caroline out of the bench
I know many will disagree with this, but based on all the permutations and combinations of possible starting lineups that I suspect posters will suggest, you could have both Caroline and Aubrey starting or neither one. In the first scenario, Ice and Jana don't show enough early to start, and we could go small with Caroline at the 3, Aubrey at the 4, and Aaliyah moves to the 5. Paige at the 1 and Azzi at the 2.

If someone steps up at the 5, then Aaliyah stays at the 4, and both Caroline and Aubrey could be coming off the bench with Nika joining Paige and Azzi in the backcourt. Even if you assume everyone agrees that Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah start, and they don't expect KK, Ashlyn, Q, Ayanna, Amari, or Ines to, there are still 10 different starting combinations to fill the remaining two spots with some combination of Nika, Caroline, Aubrey, Ice and Jana, so I think we can count on plenty of debate heading into next season.

I prefer Nika, Azzi, Paige, Aaliyah and either Ice or Jana at C, but obviously that assumes one of the freshmen is ready. The other 4 will be terrific. i would also keep my eye out for any really good C's in the portal that become available.

Reaction Score
People keep saying we should get a C from the portal. Who exactly are they thinking of? I don't see anyone who would be an improvement over our existing squad.

Of course, this is just an echo of the chorus we get every summer on the same note.

Reaction Score
People keep saying we should get a C from the portal. Who exactly are they thinking of? I don't see anyone who would be an improvement over our existing squad.

Of course, this is just an echo of the chorus we get every summer on the same note.
I think center is the only position where a transfer could possibly step in to play. We have 3-4 options at every other position and we have a scholarship to give next year so if we were to use it it would only make sense to use it on a center. There aren’t any centers that I’ve seen that would be a better fit than our current players, however. Amari really is the perfect center for UConn next year if she can do what she needs to do to get on the floor.

Reaction Score
How many elite level big girls are in the portal?

The portal doesn’t open officially until tomorrow I thought? There shouldn’t be anyone at all in the portal yet.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The portal doesn’t open officially until tomorrow I thought? There shouldn’t be anyone at all in the portal yet.
I believe players can transfer without formally going through the portal but I admit to not understanding the process complete

Reaction Score
I believe players can transfer without formally going through the portal but I admit to not understanding the process complete
I’m not 100% sure of the rules myself but I do know they can unofficially announce their intentions to transfer but can’t put their names in the portal (which is I believe is how they are able to be in contact with other schools) for a day or two more. I believe the portal is open March 13th through May 11th. I do think they have to go through the portal to transfer and play at a school the following year.

The next month and a half will give people a much clearer picture of who will be available in the portal.

JBK

Reaction Score
Well - you do not even have Aubrey starting next year so I understand your feelings about her future
“ needs to learn how to shoot all of sudden” - massive improvement in one year and hope that will continue.
Aubrey is an incredible defender - and is learning how to hit the pull up and drive to the hoop.
Hitting a 3 is not a pre requisite to be a 1st round draft choice.

Reaction Score
We should probably have the two best players in the country, it happeared 3 times for us Sue & Swin & Dee, then Tina & Maya, then Breanna and Moriah, then NEXT YEAR
So far our best player can’t stay on the court. I wouldn’t count on anything next year.

Reactions: JBK
Reaction Score
Why the hurry to get on to next year? This team is at least as good as last years team and they have a real shot at reaching another FF. If they get there they have a shot at making the final and in that game anything can happen.

As far as having the two best players in the country. In order to do that you would have to have the best and right now I wouldn't say that is a guarantee. Then you have several players returning that were fantastic this year so having more than one in the top 5-6 is unlikely. But they very easily could have the best team of players and since BB is a team sport that is more important than the best 1 or 2.

Reaction Score
Way too early. Everyone posting here is a little bit right and a little bit wrong. So I will join in the circus. I think we'll see a 3 guard lineup more often than not, maybe 20 minutes a game. After that any reasonable 5 on the court will be seen once the substitutions start.

I do want to make one obvious observation. Anyone suggesting PT for ICE, KK, Q, Jana, or Ashlynn should put a giant * on that opinion as none of these guys have played a single minute of big time D1 basketball. We should consider anything meaningful we get from our newbies to be icing (no pun intended) on the cake. You never know what you got until you know what you got.

Reactions: JBK
Reaction Score
It is quite possible that no top notch C type will enter the portal this year. We will find out pretty soon, but who would have thought a couple of years ago that Dorka and Cardosa would be available, you never know.

The one thing Uconn has as an advantage is that everyone thinks they will be absolutely loaded and deep at positions 1-4. So if you are a star 5, have already had a very successful career, and are looking for a greater challenge, like Lou or Dorka, Uconn with talent but no proven experience at the 5 is a perfect fit.

Suppose for example you are Lee at Kansas State, or Soares at Iowa State, or even Key at Tennessee. Your senior year is coming to a close and you had a season ending injury and could not enjoy it. You probably will have earned your degree and could face some interesting decisions.

If the season had gone as expected, you would have been looking forward to the WNBA draft and a new chapter in your life. But now you could declare, and be drafted, but the recovery time from serious knee injuries means you probably would not be available for play this spring, but importantly could be ready for the next collegiate season. So whether you got a redshirt year, or take the Covid year as a grad transfer, you could wait a year for the draft and show the scouts you had recovered, and maybe be part of a storybook season.

Now of course these players can also return to their current schools. But I don't think Kansas State will not be a serious contender, Iowa State loses Joens, and Tennessee loses their top two players and didn't get much from recruiting. So while those teams will be good, an experienced very good plug and play C added to the talent at the other positions would make Uconn the favorite next year, if they are not already.

I think for a player in that position, it could be an opportunity they would have to seriously consider. Obviously they may not take that route, and perhaps nobody that is an upgrade over a freshmen Ice or Jana will enter the portal, but beyond the unique circumstances of the players I mentioned, others might appear out of the blue that we never expected, like Dorka and Cardosa did in the same year. If not, I am confident the newcomers will be good, and by their junior or senior years they may be great as well, but there is a least a short list of potential additions that could be upgrades, if they decide to enter the portal, and we will have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Aubrey are the starters...
1st off the bench will be Caroline
2nd off the bench will be whomever shows Geno she can play the post and help at both ends, but mostly on defense.

Reaction Score
If everyone is healthy next year, I think we have three of the top four players in the country with Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah. But I also have to give props to Caitlin Clark.
Aaliyah is very good but not top four. If Clark stay she is better. Brink at Stanford is better, I think the girl at LSU is better. She has been great for UConn this year but I actually would expect her numbers to drop because we have way more options and she will play less.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Aubrey are the starters...
1st off the bench will be Caroline
2nd off the bench will be whomever shows Geno she can play the post and help at both ends, but mostly on defense.
ICE ICE BRADY!

Reaction Score
I have very high hopes in Jana making a big contribution to this team next year, along with Ice.
Having both of them around the program this year will pay dividends next year.

We could be bad for Women's Basketball again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the most overlooked aspect of our injury- bitten season was the negative impact it had on the bench players able to grow and develop. Initially, players getting injured seems like a great opportunity for less experienced players because it guarantees them some minutes. However, with all of our injuries being key contributors and stars it only amplified the pressure on the bench players to score and contribute in ways they weren't quite ready to yet. Instead of going into games with a lead of 20 and needing to just get a few rebounds to rest the starters, they were going in with a 8 point lead to replace a starter that just picked up their third foul in the second quarter. They weren't able to be put into positions to succeed and I think that hurt all of their in-gave development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom