New Playoff Format - ACC vs. Big East | The Boneyard

New Playoff Format - ACC vs. Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is ACC being viewed as a winner in this thing and BE being viewed as a loser? They have a few more historical powers but if Boise keeps it up (I don't believe they are not coming), aren't we more likely to have a team in the playoff than the ACC? In any event, Boise should have better access than before, no? And if anyone else runs the table, don't they most likely get in from BE? Maybe a one loss team gets in from ACC now and then but I wouldn't expect it in most years.

Aren't we in the same boat?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/26/winners-losers-post-playoff-edition/

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Why is ACC being viewed as a winner in this thing and BE being viewed as a loser? They have a few more historical powers but if Boise keeps it up (I don't believe they are not coming), aren't we more likely to have a team in the playoff than the ACC? In any event, Boise should have better access than before, no? And if anyone else runs the table, don't they most likely get in from BE? Maybe a one loss team gets in from ACC now and then but I wouldn't expect it in most years.

Aren't we in the same boat?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/26/winners-losers-post-playoff-edition/

Agreed but the ACC has the backing of ESPN and as much as everyone wants to harp on the network for being biased and such, having a major media deal forces the ACC back into the picture. I must say that I'm surprised an article on NBC comments on the ACC as winners. Supposedly NBC wants in on the pie and would want the Big East as it's flagship along with ND. The article did make a comment about how he should tread lightly on the topic of a TV deal. I'm assuming he was referring to the fact that the site that he's writing for is a NBC site and NBC is hoping to land the Big East. All still speculation but I believe the ACC's deal with ESPN makes them a winner here??

I also disagree with his Boise comment. There's not a shot Boise gets into the 4 team playoff from the MWC. If people think the NBE will be weak, the MWC is even weaker. Boise needs to play higher level teams in their conference slate and the NBE offers that better than any other options Boise has.

pj

Reaction Score
I must say that I'm surprised an article on NBC comments on the ACC as winners. Supposedly NBC wants in on the pie and would want the Big East as it's flagship along with ND.

NBC will promote the Big East after it has Big East TV rights. They're not going to try to make the Big East more valuable before they have to pay its value.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ACC has FSU, Miami, VT, and a commissioner who promotes the strength of the conference whether it's true or not.

No other reason.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What do a sports writer & a top have in common?: They both spin.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ACC has FSU, Miami, VT, and a commissioner who promotes the strength of the conference whether it's true or not.

No other reason.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Oh so no other reason than they have schools that are relevant nationally in football. Don't people know Memphis got a new scoreboard?

Reaction Score
The ACC is neither a winner or a loser at this point. I am not sure if adding Syracuse and Pitt creates any value that they did not have already. Strategically, they can lose two schools and still have 12 in the future; should that occur.

Until they lose a Clemson, FSU or Miami, they are not going to be losers. I don't see anyone else leaving.

The Big East are clearly losers. We lost the team that won all of our BCS games except for one. Our "conference" is spread across the entire country and whether or not it will come to fruition as planned is a far cry from being a sure thing.

We just need to keep building and upgrading in areas where we can. Like Hockey... next we should even consider Lax since most of the really prestigous schools in the Big 10 and the ACC that we want to play against seem to play that too... make goddam sure that our Basketball programs continue to among the very best in the nation and continue to position the school. Then hopefully, we will not end up like a Colorado State.

Reaction Score
TCU 2010 is the bar that Big East teams must reach. That team from the Mountain West Conference (a much weaker conference than the new Big East) would have most definitely been invited to the new 4 team playoff. Lets hope Chandler Whitmer can be UCONN's Andy Daulton.

Reaction Score
An undefeated Boise, Louisville, Rutgers,Cincy, UConn, USF, Houston, SMU -- aren't they nationally relevant if they win? Will an undefeated BE team ever be left out? We may not have many current "name brands" like Miami but a 10-2 Miami team will not trump a 12-0 BE team,will it? I don't see it in most years. Is it easier to go 12-0 in BE or 11-1 in SEC? Don't we still have a reasonable road to the playoff?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to remember when Miami, FSU, VT, Pitt, Clemson, or Syracuse last factored into a national title discussion... well outside of September. It's been a while. Cinnci and WVU both have more recently.

Until this thing goes to 8 schools there's going to be the Big 10, PAC-12, Big-12, and SEC... and everyone else. Hell the way the assholes in the media work... you're probably going to end up with two SEC schools half the time. The ACC is just as screwed. I'm not here championing the Big East as is, but UConn's chances of making a national title game probably got slightly better, but our chances of appearing in a BCS bowl game got worse.

Reaction Score
An undefeated Boise, Louisville, Rutgers,Cincy, UConn, USF, Houston, SMU -- aren't they nationally relevant if they win? Will an undefeated BE team ever be left out? We may not have many current "name brands" like Miami but a 10-2 Miami team will not trump a 12-0 BE team,will it? I don't see it in most years. Is it easier to go 12-0 in BE or 11-1 in SEC? Don't we still have a reasonable road to the playoff?

It's easier to go 12-0 in the Big East than it is to go 11-1 in the SEC.

Are you actually suggesting otherwise?

Reaction Score
It's easier to go 12-0 in the Big East than it is to go 11-1 in the SEC.

Are you actually suggesting otherwise?

no i agree- so assuming we get in at 12-0 that is a reasonable (maybe easier) road than some other schools will face in the big 4 conferences

Reaction Score
no i agree- so assuming we get in at 12-0 that is a reasonable (maybe easier) road than some other schools will face in the big 4 conferences

But the problem is....without the conference champion requirement, a 1 loss team from the SEC, Big 12, B1G, or even the Pac 12 has more than a good chance of being selected over an unbeaten Big East team.

Reaction Score
UConn's chances of making a national title game probably got slightly better, but our chances of appearing in a BCS bowl game got worse.

This is true. IMO it is a positive development. Our Fiesta bowl appearance really did nothing for our football program other than get RE a new job.

BTW there are now 6 "Major Bowls". People shouldn't be so quick to rule out a worthy Big East team getting an invite. It will need to be earned however, unranked teams need not apply. That's the way it should be.

It's not hard to fathom a really good Boise or San Diego St team in the Fiesta bowl, a really good Houston or SMU team in the Cotton Bowl (this is actually a layup), a really good USF, UCF team in the Orange bowl. UCONN's best chance would be a Florida bowl if we were the Big East Champion with one loss and a top ten ranking.

Reaction Score
obviously if we get left out at 12-0 we are screwed. I'm hoping this battlestar galactica of a conference will have enough SOS to get an undefeated team into top 4. Will our SOS be better than ACCs - I think it will in some years. From a historical name, image perspective we lose - but hopefully the committee will not be factoring that in.

Reaction Score
This is true. IMO it is a positive development. Our Fiesta bowl appearance really did nothing for our football program other than get RE a new job.

BTW there are now 6 "Major Bowls". People shouldn't be so quick to rule out a worthy Big East team getting an invite. It will need to be earned however, unranked teams need not apply.

Wait, what? The Fiesta Bowl did nothing for us? I had one heck of a time out there, and our program got a ton of positive exposure. Recruiting has been on an uptick since. This comment is perplexing to me, but maybe it was just another attempt to take a shot at fHCRE.

We won't get into the 6 major bowls, unless we make a playoff, because they will either enter a formal affiliation with the power brokers, or simply choose to take the high revenue schools like Ohio State, even if they are unranked. Ironically, for all that we make fun of TD Husky, I do think winning with style points is now more important than winning - if we want to qualify from a non-power conference, we HAVE to be winning games putting up 50 points. 10-3 barnburners won't get the media to notice.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? The Fiesta Bowl did nothing for us? I had one heck of a time out there, and our program got a ton of positive exposure. Recruiting has been on an uptick since. This comment is perplexing to me, but maybe it was just another attempt to take a shot at fHCRE.

I think its great you had a good time at the Fiesta Bowl. My opinion on what it did for our program is different than yours and i'll leave it at that. I didn't take a shot at Edsall at all. I think he would tell you that the Fiesta Bowl appearance helped a ton in getting him that job.

The Best thing the Fiesta bowl did for UCONN was get Edsall the Job at Maryland. (There's a shot at Edsall) No PP no Whitmer, No Cochran.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Best thing the Fiesta bowl did for UCONN was get Edsall the Job at Maryland. (There's a shot at Edsall) No PP no Whitmer, No Cochran.

Yup. And FWIW, I've been to the last 4 UConn bowl games and I had a better time at the 1st three. Loved Charlotte.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no way to know if a 12-0 BE team will qualify. Since the standard is relative to the other good teams in a given season until you know all the variables, you can't decide on a answer. How about the Big East actually has a team worth discussing in the new format before we cry about access.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to remember when Miami, FSU, VT, Pitt, Clemson, or Syracuse last factored into a national title discussion... well outside of September. It's been a while. Cinnci and WVU both have more recently.

Until this thing goes to 8 schools there's going to be the Big 10, PAC-12, Big-12, and SEC... and everyone else. Hell the way the *******s in the media work... you're probably going to end up with two SEC schools half the time. The ACC is just as screwed. I'm not here championing the Big East as is, but UConn's chances of making a national title game probably got slightly better, but our chances of appearing in a BCS bowl game got worse.

Agreed. You will more than likely see 2-3 SEC schools in the equation each year. And a lot of moaning / groaning from their coaches if the committee selecting the top 4 doesn't see it their way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And until Clemson fell apart last year they were alive in the discussion.

Reaction Score
If we go 12-0 each of the next two seasons ( w/ the seemingly better OOC as is - no buy-outs) I don't think we'll have as big of an issue going into the playoff scenario as we think. It's all about changing perceptions - back to back undefeated seasons will change a lot of perspectives. I'm not delusional to think it will happen but we seem bent about being screwed before it even happens.

Reaction Score

The answer to your last question is it's easier to go 12-0 in the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom