Neill Ostrout: Huskies owe one to Matt Garry, the latest cult hero in Storrs | The Boneyard

Neill Ostrout: Huskies owe one to Matt Garry, the latest cult hero in Storrs

Reaction Score

A ride down Memory Lane:

“Admit it, it was awesome when Steve Emt went in for Donny Marshall. When Kyle Chapman went in for Ray Allen. When Richard Moore went in for Ricky Moore. When Jeff Cybart went in for Kevin Freeman. When Ace Watanasuparp went in for Ben Gordon. When Kwasi Gyambibi went in for Tony Robertson. When Darryl Woods went in for Johnnie Selvie. When Mike Woodward went in for Caron Butler. When Jason Baisch went in for Emeka Okafor. When Sami Ameziane went in for Rashad Anderson. When Kyle Bailey went in for A.J. Price. When Martin Gagne for Rudy Gay. When Ben Stewart went in for Alex Oriakhi. When Tor Watts went in for Shabazz Napier. When Nnamdi Amilo went in for Phil Nolan. When Pat Lenehan went in for Ryan Boatright. When Christian Foxen went in for Kentan Facey.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think I was the only a bit irked that the end of game meltdown cost Garry a chance for a minute of PT.
It was self-inflicted. This group has a tendency to think it's poop doesn't stink and that it can coast. It's a very dangerous attitude going into tournament play.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was self-inflicted. This group has a tendency to think it's poop doesn't stink and that it can coast. It's a very dangerous attitude going into tournament play.

The play which most exemplified your comment was when DePaul was pressing, UConn got it over half court and one of the players just thought they would hold the ball high and then reach down to hand it off to Cole. When the DePaul player got aggressive and grabbed the ball it was jump ball and DePaul possession. The UConn players just had blank looks like how did that just happen.

Reaction Score

A ride down Memory Lane:

“Admit it, it was awesome when Steve Emt went in for Donny Marshall. When Kyle Chapman went in for Ray Allen. When Richard Moore went in for Ricky Moore. When Jeff Cybart went in for Kevin Freeman. When Ace Watanasuparp went in for Ben Gordon. When Kwasi Gyambibi went in for Tony Robertson. When Darryl Woods went in for Johnnie Selvie. When Mike Woodward went in for Caron Butler. When Jason Baisch went in for Emeka Okafor. When Sami Ameziane went in for Rashad Anderson. When Kyle Bailey went in for A.J. Price. When Martin Gagne for Rudy Gay. When Ben Stewart went in for Alex Oriakhi. When Tor Watts went in for Shabazz Napier. When Nnamdi Amilo went in for Phil Nolan. When Pat Lenehan went in for Ryan Boatright. When Christian Foxen went in for Kentan Facey.”

Damn. I must be a casual fan.
I don’t remember half of those bench players.

Reaction Score
AJ and Martin in particular seem prone to lapse into "victory lap" mode in games like that. Better to finish off an inferior opponent for good than to bowl for a spot in the ESPN Top 10 with no-look passes or whatever.

Reaction Score
DH could have put him in at the start of the 2nd half for a few minutes
Ridiculous that a senior doesn't step on the floor on his day
No excuses for DH on this one - none
When a 3 seed is hanging in the balance, a walk-on senior does not get priority over the program.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not so much we started playing poorly as Javon Freeman Liberty briefly body swapped with Steph Curry

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
UConn owes matt garry nothing. as far as hoops, matt garry owes everything to UConn.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In retrospect, DH could have put Garry in with 3 minutes to go and not done any worse than the lineup that was in there for the end of the game.
Absolutely this. If things got hairy go back to the starters (like he did against GTown). Can’t wait around until the last minute. Mismanaged.

Reaction Score
Idk when or how but he def should have touched the floor.

FL found a way to get a kid who isn’t even cleared to play a second out there.
Don’t be silly, comparison isn’t even on the same planet.

Reaction Score
transparently ... I think it is pathetic to point at our guys saying they're complacent or something without some notion that Stubblefield and DePaul were pretty good in those few minutes. I think Tony Stubblefield is Calhoun like in his emotional leadership in motivating college kids and he has a NBA type talent in JFL; DePaul is gonna be interesting to watch. We went from 16 to 6 lead and yes we have had this kind of pressure before. (I also think Mike Anderson of SJU is impressive) We are not playing Tulane, Tulsa, USF, UCF anymore. It is big boy stuff at game end. And Hurley also has pulled some magic to get a W. It's not Jackson or Martin ... it is the other Team.

Reaction Score
You’re reading too much into it. All I’m saying is that there are ways to let your Seniors see the floor on Senior night if you prioritize it

Maybe there could have been a way, but using that as an example isn’t fair at all. I’m not reading into your example, it’s just ludicrous to even bring up Johnson at UF.

Reaction Score
I guess everybody deserves a trophy
I think that's a little harsh in this situation. We're talking about a kid who was with the program for three seasons and when the team got banged up he was probably a pretty important piece in the practice sessions to simulate things that Hurley anticipated in game situations. I'm not thinking that he should have gotten the start but I do think that they could have found a way to get him into the game even if it was only for 30 seconds or so.

Reaction Score
idk if i've ever heard of a walk-on "having" to play on senior night, let alone start. it's nice when it happens, i'm sure dan wanted it to happen, but it didn't. that's how it goes sometimes

Reaction Score
Come on, it's basketball. How often do we see guys in the game do disappearing acts for extended periods of time. Garry absolutely could have gotten a minute or two and for all we know, we extend the lead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom