Need a Conference, ASAP | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Need a Conference, ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The reality is that Herbst's statement is as meaningless as what Aresco constantly says.

It's fairly funny that this thread exists today, it was the day that Syracuse and Pittsburgh pulled stakes for the ACC that the clock started ticking.

I don't think that there is any risk that the NCAA tourney is going to change significantly in the near term. The P5 already ends up with most of the money and the NCAA is able to exist because of the revenue.

Notre Dame continues to exist as a football independent because it suits other leagues. It's better for everyone to let them be an independent than have them join someone else's league.

I know that few believe me, but the clock is ticking on the UConn football program. It won't be long before the only way to make the math work is to eliminate it. And there will be plenty of people who want to push that nuclear button.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is this legal and will there be lawsuits going forward?

Totally legal. A few rich white dudes in the power 5 conferences made veiled threats months ago about the power 5 conferences splitting away on their own. This was the rest of the NCAA schools bending over in order to keep the power 5 conferences from leaving. They voted to give the power 5 conferences this autonomy, and now they have it. There is no going back from this now, but it will likely keep the NCAA division 1 schools together. There will just be an ever increasing gap between the schools in the power 5 and the rest of division 1. If you are a school who can financially afford to match all the rules the power 5 will soon implement (bigger stipends for all student athletes, more coaches on the staff, longer recruiting periods, 4 year guaranteed schollies, etc...) it won't mean anything unless your non-power 5 conference votes to make all your conference schools enact those rules. If you are in a conference with some poorer schools who can't afford to match the news rules, those schools will likely keep your conference from enacting the new rules.

I'd be shocked to see a conference grant each school the individual right to decide what new rules they want to follow. Conferences are going to want a level playing field within their conference. Otherwise, what is the point of the conference?

And yes... this is still all about a few idiots pushing through things for the benefit of football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Isn't this why lawsuits will fly, because the NCAA is now setting up a system that some programs can't compete.It's not fair.

Lawsuits from the schools that just voted to allow it?

There are no lawsuits coming. UConn and the other schools can provide the same benefits - mostly they just can't afford to.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Totally legal. A few rich white dudes in the power 5 conferences made veiled threats months ago about the power 5 conferences splitting away on their own. This was the rest of the NCAA schools bending over in order to keep the power 5 conferences from leaving. They voted to give the power 5 conferences this autonomy, and now they have it. There is no going back from this now, but it will likely keep the NCAA division 1 schools together. There will just be an ever increasing gap between the schools in the power 5 and the rest of division 1. If you are a school who can financially afford to match all the rules the power 5 will soon implement (bigger stipends for all student athletes, more coaches on the staff, longer recruiting periods, 4 year guaranteed schollies, etc...) it won't mean anything unless your non-power 5 conference votes to make all your conference schools enact those rules. If you are in a conference with some poorer schools who can't afford to match the news rules, those schools will likely keep your conference from enacting the new rules.

I'd be shocked to see a conference grant each school the individual right to decide what new rules they want to follow. Conferences are going to want a level playing field within their conference. Otherwise, what is the point of the conference?

And yes... this is still all about a few idiots pushing through things for the benefit of football.

I'd be shocked if the AAC and Mountain West (and Big East) didn't allow schools to choose. There is no way they stay conferences if they don't.

Mountain West already set their entire television contract around paying Boise more to keep them.

Reaction Score
2 reasons

1. Big name teams playing each other all season long leads to higher tv ratings. Higher tv ratings leads to more money.

Nick Saban said the following,

Alabama coach Nick Saban said "fans want" Power Five teams playing exclusively Power Five opponents.

"We need to be more concerned about the people who support the programs and the university and come and see the games," Saban said. "Those are the most important. But we never think about that."

2. The Pac-12 plays one more in-conference game than the other conferences. They said the Pac-12 is arguing that since they have the playoff system they want to set up a more balanced schedule which means playing against only other power conference teams.
also means more losses for those P5 teams.

Reaction Score
The reality is that Herbst's statement is as meaningless as what Aresco constantly says.

It's fairly funny that this thread exists today, it was the day that Syracuse and Pittsburgh pulled stakes for the ACC that the clock started ticking.

I don't think that there is any risk that the NCAA tourney is going to change significantly in the near term. The P5 already ends up with most of the money and the NCAA is able to exist because of the revenue.

Notre Dame continues to exist as a football indepedent because it suits other leagues. It's better for everyone to let them be an independent than have them join someone else's league.

I know that few believe me, but the clock is ticking on the UConn football program. It won't be long before the only way to make the math work is to eliminate it. And there will be plenty of people who want to push that nuclear button.
images

as usual, sprinkling little rays of sunshine everywhere

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
images

as usual, sprinkling little rays of sunshine everywhere

Oh sorry everything is just dandy when Rutgers starts the fiscal year $40 million ahead of UConn.

Mock me if you like but if the school had more fans like me we wouldn't be having this discussion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oklahoma's budget this year for the new unlimited food rule is 800k-1MM.

Even they were making jokes about how it's going to become a recruiting tool.

Reaction Score
Instead of classifying conferences, the NCAA should classify schools in to ones that adopt the greater benefits and ones that don't. That way schools like UConn, UC, BYU aren't considered of an inferior class. Schools could be dubbed B1, B2, B3...based on what sorts of extra benefits they give.

It might be semantics, but would make a big difference in how schools are perceived.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if the AAC and Mountain West (and Big East) didn't allow schools to choose. There is no way they stay conferences if they don't.

I'll believe it when I see it. Why on earth would schools who can't afford the new rule changes, vote in favor of giving other conference schools they compete with a major competitive advantage? That makes no sense.

I think the more likely outcome is that we see more conference realignment among the non-Power 5 conferences. You'll probably see a clustering of basketball-only schools who can afford to make the changes, and maybe a clustering of basketball/football schools who can afford to make the changes, and then the other non-Power 5 conferences will probably be made up of schools who have different less-expensive new rules.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We are all venting. But really, any of us who was awake the past months knew this was happening. The only questions are:
How badly will it hurt?
How soon will the hurt come?
How quickly can we get in a P-5?

Only thing you can do is buy some football tickets/merchandise and be a loud UCONN fan at games and in social media.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Good idea..now let's think of some other strategies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We are all venting. But really, any of us who was awake the past months knew this was happening. The only questions are:
How badly will it hurt?
How soon will the hurt come?
How quickly can we get in a P-5?

Only thing you can do is buy some football tickets/merchandise and be a loud UCONN fan at games and in social media.
Not going to happen. We need a p5 who wants a bb and north east presence. Hey pac 12 and big 12 we are outchea :)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Get your fans together, rents some bulldozers, and go bulldoze NC State to the ground.

You will have an ACC invite the next day.
I'm getting a little tired of acc fans telling us how much sense it would make for UConn to be in their conference. Enjoy the across-the-board mediocrity of Pitt.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Even if the non p5 schools burn to the ground in the next few years I still think we have another ship in us. #questfor5

Reaction Score
They have to make new rules then. Creating such rules would announce to everyone that the AAC is a minor conference, which is contrary to what Aresco has been saying. If there're no new rules, then nothing prevents a school from doing what it wants.
My issue is that even if UConn were allowed to make its own rules, I just don't think recruits keep up with the technicality of such matters. It certainly is hard to market and can be somewhat confusing to a teenager and their parent(s).

I'm talking mostly football here but still how (and why) would a high school prize recruit know of such an independent policy or what good does it do them to know such. The press won't cover it. As for the P5's in a few years it will be common knowledge (i.e. their benefits/advantage) with history, experiences and positive testimony of its benefits. I just see the non P5 conferences having a tough time getting noticed or major media attention in the future. Not saying the AAC and others will ride into irrelevancy, but damn, it will travel on the road of 2nd class.

P5 is becoming 'all powerful' and then there are the rest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it. Why on earth would schools who can't afford the new rule changes, vote in favor of giving other conference schools they compete with a major competitive advantage? That makes no sense.

I think the more likely outcome is that we see more conference realignment among the non-Power 5 conferences. You'll probably see a clustering of basketball-only schools who can afford to make the changes, and maybe a clustering of basketball/football schools who can afford to make the changes, and then the other non-Power 5 conferences will probably be made up of schools who have different less-expensive new rules.

What would be the enforcing mechanism?

To kick a school out of a conference? Those schools would band together, and it would be back to the CUSA for Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma's budget this year for the new unlimited food rule is 800k-1MM.

Even they were making jokes about how it's going to become a recruiting tool.

The advantage for G5 schools is going to be seen on the field and courts with lean, hungry athletes taking it to the P5 fatties.

Reaction Score

I don't think the lack of rules defining the tiers make it legal. As Aresco noted, there's nothing there to legislate schools or conferences moving up or down.

Reaction Score
What I dont think is fair about this deal is that the bottom teams in the P5 conferences suck. there are many teams in other conferences that are way better. So those lousy teams just happen to be lucky? That's bull$hit! There will be lawsuits.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are forgetting how this came about. The biggest conferences realized that they are the cash cow and 800 pound gorilla. They went to the NCAA and said, basically:
1) we want to play by our own rules
2) we want more of the cash that we've been subsidizing weak conferences with
3) We want to realign voting so we have more power.

And if you don't do it, we will leave the NCAA. The NCAA said "Yes" and passed it by the bylaws of the organization. What law/ lawsuit is going to stop that? Conferences for sports are not a constitutional issue.
What will or won't happen with the BCS or the basketball tournament is all conjecture.
BUT there is a top class in college sports and we are not in it. But where money and power exist the rules tend to follow in their interest and at every turn, college presidents & ADs have looked to maximize their profit

Reaction Score
Idea for uconn leadership-

Encourage Modern or Pepe's to come to Storrs Center with the promise of a house account for athletes. New Haven pizza would be a hell of a recruiting tool. Better than food trucks, anyway.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
"those 65 schools are largely the face of what most people know as college athletics" Big 12 Commish Bowlsby.

The arrogance of the P5 schools is a good substitute for syrup of Ipecac!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom