Need a Conference, ASAP | The Boneyard

Need a Conference, ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This really means nothing to UConn. We can and will adopt any legislation passed by the P5. This really only allows smaller school to not have to follow all D1 legislation.

Reaction Score
Am I right to be incredibly concerned that unless UConn joins one of the Big Five conferences, there will be no way for UConn to compete for the big-time football or basketball players, since why in the world would such players join a conference without all the extra benefits, etc. that a Big Five conference could provide?

Am I overreacting here?

Reaction Score
Am I right to be incredibly concerned that unless UConn joins one of the Big Five conferences, there will be no way for UConn to compete for the big-time football or basketball players, since why in the world would such players join a conference without all the extra benefits, etc. that a Big Five conference could provide?

Am I overreacting here?

As I understand it, Aresco seems to be aware of this, and I suspect that the AAC will be instituting any policies that would give P5 conferences an advantage. This could end up helping the weaker teams in the league, which would, in turn, make the league better.

Still, I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
As I understand it, Aresco seems to be aware of this, and I suspect that the AAC will be instituting any policies that would give P5 conferences an advantage. This could end up helping the weaker teams in the league, which would, in turn, make the league better.

Still, I'm concerned.

Would the AAC be allowed to institute such policies, since the AAC (unlike the Big Five) has NOT been granted autonomy? Would the AAC still be operating under the existing rules that still apply to all other conferences, as per the existing NCAA rules?

Reaction Score
Great article:
The 4 things to know about the new NCAA's autonomy structure

"The power conferences can make their own rules, but those rules will also be available to smaller schools. This would make sure strong programs in those conferences — UConn basketball, for example — wouldn't be put at a recruiting disadvantage. But it would also ensure smaller schools that can't afford these benefits don't have to pay them."

Reaction Score

Am I overreacting here?

I feel like you're right in terms of football but it's not like we're usually a desirable place for top football recruits. I think we'll be fine in basketball. We have the history, the facilities, the staff, and big name recognition in bball. When it comes to bball, no recruit would choose a bottom tier P5 school over us, IMO.

Reaction Score
Would the AAC be allowed to institute such policies, since the AAC (unlike the Big Five) has NOT been granted autonomy? Would the AAC still be operating under the existing rules that still apply to all other conferences, as per the existing NCAA rules?
The way I understand it is we (AAC) can adopt Power 5 policies (or not) but can't create any of our own as this privilege is reserved for the Power 5.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the AAC allows each member to decide if they want to adopt this, then UCONN is fine. They can and will adopt whatever. If the AAC requires all members to play by the same rules (and not adopt), then it's time for UCONN to align with the "best of the rest" to form their own conference. Of course, if there is any threat of a P 6, then that would spring the P5 conferences to action to gut it. That will be a good thing for UCONN.

Folks, the time is here. WE ALL NEED TO #HUSKYUP. Selling out the Rent and Yankee Stadium are now a MUST. We can't "wait and see" how Diaco does or wait until next year. Next year might be too late.

www.uconnhuskies.com

Reaction Score
The way I understand it is we (AAC) can adopt Power 5 policies (or not) but can't create any of our own as this privilege is reserved for the Power 5.
That's how I understand it as well.

And I found this quote interesting:

Dan WolkenVerified account ‏@DanWolken
FWIW, there’s no built-in mechanism for a conference to become a power conference (AAC requested this). But Board of Directors can modify.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I feel like you're right in terms of football but it's not like we're usually a desirable place for top football recruits. I think we'll be fine in basketball. We have the history, the facilities, the staff, and big name recognition in bball. When it comes to bball, no recruit would choose a bottom tier P5 school over us, IMO.

I'm sorry but if you think this won't eventually impact basketball, you're crazy. Because the writing is on the wall of what is coming next: a separate basketball tourney. And guess which one will get the HUGE TV deal and which one will eventually become another NIT.

Time for everyone to HuskyUp. Starts with buying football tickets. Support the SCHOOL, not specific programs. And as always bleed blue.

Reaction Score
This really means nothing to UConn. We can and will adopt any legislation passed by the P5. This really only allows smaller school to not have to follow all D1 legislation.

You're wrong about this. There was an article on ESPN today saying how the P5 conferences are talking about only scheduling each other. This is just the start and until UConn gets in a major conference it will be a problem.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

Reaction Score

Am I overreacting here?

No

Reaction Score
Can UConn adopt policies that mirror P5 policies independently even if the AAC doesn't? Or is it conference based?

Bill Synder speaks out: linky

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Big Ern,
You are right to be concerned. It is one thing to say "we'll do whatever they do." It is quite another to keep "doing whatever they do" when they are getting $30-50 million in tv revenue and you are getting $2 million. UConn is apparently in solid shape for the next 5 years or so from various buyouts and forfeited hoop credits and so on. But you saw just the beginnings of life in the new neighborhood last year in the NCAA selection process. You saw it in the way AAC teams were seeded(UConn a 7, Memphis an 8), how they were located (3 of 4 teams in the same region) and how the bubble teams were treated. SMU was justifiably a bubble team, but so was Nebraska and so was NC State.

Reaction Score
I'll eat my hat if Syracuse and Duke stop scheduling cupcakes early in the season.

The exclusive scheduling of P5 schools would only be for football and it would absolutely kill UConn's chances of building a big time football program if we can't get into a P5 conference. However, it shows the type of legislation they could introduce that would be exclusionary towards UConn and could harm basketball as well. The P5 are going to do what's best for them to make the most money and if it crushes UConn sports (including basketball) along the way they really won't care.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Big Ern,
You are right to be concerned...But you saw just the beginnings of life in the new neighborhood last year in the NCAA selection process. You saw it in the way AAC teams were seeded(UConn a 7, Memphis an 8), how they were located (3 of 4 teams in the same region) and how the bubble teams were treated. SMU was justifiably a bubble team, but so was Nebraska and so was NC State.
Yeah, and that worked out really badly for us.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but if you think this won't eventually impact basketball, you're crazy. Because the writing is on the wall of what is coming next: a separate basketball tourney. And guess which one will get the HUGE TV deal and which one will eventually become another NIT.

I disagree....the basketball only programs of the NBE and A-10 will be fine, just like our beloved UConn Bball

Calm down chicken little

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
HEAREE, HEAREE. LET IT BE KNOW THAT GOING FORWARD, PER MANDATE OF MADAM PRESIDENT DR. SUSAN HERBST, THE P5 WILL HENCE BE KNOW AS "THE FIVE CONFERENCES SEEKING MORE AUTONOMY (or 5CSMA)!!!"

As you were...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is awful for the sport in general. Creation of class based on birth excluding performance , always struck me as contradicting the historical nature of this country. Our ancestors left that behind to come here.
Apparently the younger generations don't share my concern.
Our maybe the American dream has been so permanently destroyed in our minds, that a tepid acceptance is all we can muster..
Here is my prediction: hopefully I'm wrong.
In 10 years there will significantly less opportunity for kids to play at the college level. Schools will drop football or gut their athletic departments to continue.
Less opportunity means less interest at the high school, or youth level. Less interest by the young Can be a slippery slope to marginalization. Baseball was only saved by huge influx of foreign born players .
I believe You are witness to a sport shooting itself in the foot.
Actually for the good of the game it might be best to tell the P5 to take a walk if they are so inclined.
Create a 8 or even 16 team playoff crown your Champion as the rightful heir to the colleges that have come before.them. Make the game a democracy.and it will thrive.

Reaction Score
You're wrong about this. There was an article on ESPN today saying how the P5 conferences are talking about only scheduling each other. This is just the start and until UConn gets in a major conference it will be a problem.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules
The P5 are not talking about it. It was a poll by ESPN that they had the coaches complete. It had nothing to do with the conferences or NCAA. I wouldn't worry about this at all until someone real talks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom