Need a Conference, ASAP | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Need a Conference, ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We need our leadership to be much more proactive. Susan Herbst stop sittingon your hands!

Reaction Score
We need our leadership to be much more proactive. Susan Herbst stop sittingon your hands!

And what would you like her to do that you know she hasn't been attempting to accomplish?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="dsturdy5, post: 1030910, member: and what would you like her to do that you know she hasn't been attempting to accomplish?[/QUOTE]
Honestly. I dont. I shouldnt have made an absolute statement but as a huge fan I am in panic mode. If we have to give up on the football dream we have than we have to. Dump all capital into maintaining our basketball empire. If we start losing basketball talent to the likes of bc and rutgers bc they can pay their players more and insure them than we have nothing left. All gained is lost.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="dsturdy5, post: 1030910, member: and what would you like her to do that you know she hasn't been attempting to accomplish?
Honestly. I dont. I shouldnt have made an absolute statement but as a huge fan I am in panic mode. If we have to give up on the football dream we have than we have to. Dump all capital into maintaining our basketball empire. If we start losing basketball talent to the likes of bc and rutgers bc they can pay their players more and insure them than we have nothing left. All gained is lost.[/QUOTE]

I hear you. I have alternated between panic mode and wait and see for a few years now. I doubt they dump football. There is too much capital tied into it right now. If that's the best option right now, then I'm all for the wait and see how it all shakes out approach. See what the AAC elects to do. The only way this kills UConn is if the AAC says that none of its schools can elect to take on the P5 privileges.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dumping football would be a huge mistake. All that does is lock UCONN into a mid-major conference outside of the P5 autonomy. Once the P5 splits from the NCAA Tournament to create their own tourney, UCONN would be really screwed.

Reaction Score
Realistically, a number of conferences will adopt cost of attendance grants from the get-go and stay within range of the Favored Five: These would be the AAC, Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt, the Big East (thanks to Fox) and probably the A-10 and Missouri Valley. Below that is where it gets murky.

Is it worth it for the CAA? Maybe. Big South? Probably not. Patriot? Forget it.

Reaction Score

You got it. The athletic dept is going to face revenue issues. They need to add to that right now (what?). If they have sold 20000 season tickets and the normal single game sales are 5000 they have to find a way to get rid of the other 15000. Offer buy one get one deals ( I know season ticket holders will be miffed, call it sacrifice to attain P5 entry). Contact every high school and youth group in the state. Give the tickets away at BJ's. Just get it done. We must see 40000 number. Otherwise, the P5 will say football drives the bus and you guys are the minivan crew. The school can't allow those lies to surface.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I came into this topic hoping for a better understanding on this new legislation (since ESPN went as far as saying power conference now can add into scholarships to support athletes) but now I leave this topic in panic mode. I now pray to the basketball gods to get the football gods to give Uconn some love.

Reaction Score
Realistically, a number of conferences will adopt cost of attendance grants from the get-go and stay within range of the Favored Five: These would be the AAC, Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt, the Big East (thanks to Fox) and probably the A-10 and Missouri Valley. Below that is where it gets murky.

Is it worth it for the CAA? Maybe. Big South? Probably not. Patriot? Forget it.
How about the Western with Gonzaga, or BYU.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know that few believe me, but the clock is ticking on the UConn football program. It won't be long before the only way to make the math work is to eliminate it.

I don't think it's a matter of not believing you, it's more a matter of not wanting to think about it because it's too depressing.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I know that few believe me, but the clock is ticking on the UConn football program. It won't be long before the only way to make the math work is to eliminate it. And there will be plenty of people who want to push that nuclear button.

I'll make you a bet right now.

If UCONN eliminates Football before we reside in a P5 conference I'll delete my Boneyard account and go back to lurking. But, if we become a P5 member, including Football, you delete yours.

I'm going to hate to see you go but I'm interested to see if you truly believe some of the sh%t you write.

Reaction Score
Guys, I don't know what to tell you. This is going to effect college basketball too. Take this quick Q&A on CBS Sports, for example. This is just one article on one outlet but you can read between the lines. The NCAA Tournament generates billions of dollars LARGELY FROM THE POWER 5 SCHOOLS' MARKET POWER. Do you really think that these greedy commissioners, Presidents, and Athletic Departments would pass up an opportunity to generate BILLIONS of more dollars because of "charm" and cute little Cinderella stories? They didn't care one bit about regional rivalries or traditional football rivalries in forming these Power conferences, they certainly aren't going to care about the Davidsons, Daytons, Butlers, and George Masons if they can make BILLIONS more. It's not a matter of if the P5 will split from the NCAA Tournament, it's a matter of when.

The best recruits are going to go to P5 schools and the small minority of G5 schools that have adopted the new rules. They'll already be able to offer them more benefits/security. But now they'll be able to offer more marketable games on TV to be noticed for the NBA. Yes, the G5 will have some games but the P5 markets and fan bases are HUGE. How long can the small minority G5 schools continue to play by the P5 rules if they make $2M/yr from a lousy TV deal?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-new-division-i-model-giving-power-5-autonomy

"Q: What about NCAA issues that don't fall under autonomy?

Some issues, such as transfer eligibility rules, enforcement and scholarships limits, remain governed by both the Power 5 and the rest of Division I. For those issues, there's weighted voting by a new body called the Council, which becomes the primary legislative arm and largely includes athletic directors, who felt left out of the old system. The Council -- which in "inside baseball" lingo is the old NCAA Leadership and Legislative councils -- consists of 32 conference representatives, four conference commissioners, two athletes and two faculty.

The weighted voting breakdown: 37.5 percent for the Power 5 conferences; 18.8 percent for the five remaining FBS conferences; 37.5 percent for the FCS and non-Division I football conferences; 3.1 percent for college athletes; and 3.1 percent for faculty athletic representatives. It's the first time athletes have a vote. Some Division I members were upset there's weighted voting on issues deemed to be of equal concern to all NCAA schools, but they didn't have much leverage in these negotiations. The smaller schools needed to keep the Power 5 happy because they're subsidized in large part by the NCAA Tournament, which generates billions of dollars largely from the Power 5 schools' market power.

Q: What issues will the Power 5 tackle on their own?

The first big one is a cost of attendance stipend to cover the gap between an athletic scholarship and what financial aid offices determine to be the actual cost of attending college. Other topics could include medical coverage for athletes, time demands on athletes, allowing schools to pay for athletes' families to attend games, loosening the rules on contact between athletes and agents, and putting in dead periods when athletes can't officially workout at their school.

Q: Will new rules create further separation between the haves and have-nots?

It's quite possible. The Power 5 schools will be able to offer benefits to recruits that other schools may feel like they can't afford. But even many of the so-called have-nots acknowledge there's already a significant competitive gap and the best recruits tend to choose those schools anyway. Some critics of the model have complained the Power 5 schools were the ones who led the NCAA down this path by commercializing college sports for so many years.
"

I will keep saying this until it starts to resonate: we all need to Husky Up. That means supporting UCONN the SCHOOL, not specific programs. Football starts in a few weeks. We need the Rent packed all season. We need Yankee Stadium packed in November. We need Gampel and the XL packed all winter. We need to pack the IZOD Center against Duke. We need to buy and wear Husky gear. We need to donate to the school, if you can. We need to spread the UCONN pride all over social media. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as Chicken Little but the sky is falling and our umbrella is only going to be strong enough to last a few years (until the Big East exit fee money dries up). After that, our coaches are fair game for any P5 school or Pro League. I don't want to see Kevin Ollie offered $8M+/yr by a P5 school and blowing us out of the water. I want to see UCONN retain Kevin Ollie at whatever salary it takes for as long as it takes because we enjoy the same TV revenue stream as Rutgers, Penn State, Syracuse, BC, UCLA, USC, Kentucky, etc. It starts NOW. It starts with buying football tickets and rocking the Rent. We can all come here to the 'Yard and complain about how unfair this is OR we can do something about it.

Let's Husky Up.
I think that your optimism is to be commended. But I don't believe that Husky fans and alumni have let UConn down...ever. As far as I am concerned, decades of monetary donations, decades of buying tickets, and it doesn't seem like it made a difference at all. We are still on the outside looking in. I am sure that I am not alone in having done this. I admire the Husky Up idea, but it really is irrelevant to CR. All of the cheerleading in the world makes no difference. Back room deals, and an administration that is aware, is what matters. Our administration was asleep for so many years on this matter. I only hope that they are now awake. I do agree with you that unless UConn lands in a P5 conference soon, it is game, set, match, but I don't believe that what you are saying will necessarily make a difference, although seeing a sold out venue certainly makes for a more exciting atmosphere.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I think that your optimism is to be commended. But I don't believe that Husky fans and alumni have let UConn down...ever. As far as I am concerned, decades of monetary donations, decades of buying tickets, and it doesn't seem like it made a difference at all. We are still on the outside looking in. I am sure that I am not alone in having done this. I admire the Husky Up idea, but it really is irrelevant to CR. All of the cheerleading in the world makes no difference. Back room deals, and an administration that is aware, is what matters. Our administration was asleep for so many years on this matter. I only hope that they are now awake. I do agree with you that unless UConn lands in a P5 conference soon, it is game, set, match, but I don't believe that what you are saying will necessarily make a difference, although seeing a sold out venue certainly makes for a more exciting atmosphere.

It's all about the dollars my friend. We win and pack The Rent? The vultures will notice, trust me.

We're already the epicenter of NCAA basketball. Put together a consistent 8-10 win Football team, who gets 40K at home games and I promise you we'll write our own check someday.

Reaction Score

I am not sure how asleep they were when you have ESPN basically saying, we want you to expand and take Syracuse and another BE team. Then you have BCU and football schools like FSU saying no to UConn. Enter Pitt. When it came to Louisville vs UConn, the football schools stepped up again and said Louisville. Not sure what the administration could have done there.

Football is the driving factor and the fact of the matter is, UConn is behind everyone else by 50+ years. We don't have enough fans who have grown up UConn fans like their parents, grand parents, etc. Even basketball isn't all the way there yet when compared to other institutions. So yes, we have to keep buying tickets, traveling, buying merchandise, watching games on tv, calling the national radio shows to talk about the programs, educating the general public, and building the UConn brand in any way that we can. Erase the poor perception of not selling enough tickets to the BCS game, the 2011 final four, the APR, etc, etc, etc. Don't give the other conferences any reason to say no.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll make you a bet right now.

If UCONN eliminates Football before we reside in a P5 conference I'll delete my Boneyard account and go back to lurking. But, if we become a P5 member, including Football, you delete yours.

I'm going to hate to see you go but I'm interested to see if you truly believe some of the sh%t you write.

I did not say that they weren't getting into a P5 conference. If you want to know how I define 'it won't be long', that would be about a decade.

I don't think UConn will ever be invited to join the Big 10. If I were wagering with someone today, my bet would be they land in the ACC after the Big 10 move creates space.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I can't find a post from you that's positive on UCONN getting a P5 invite.

Is that a "No" on the bet?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can't find a post from you that's positive on UCONN getting a P5 invite.

Is that a "No" on the bet?

How about the post right above this where I said I think they land in the ACC?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
So I'm betting against UConn getting into a P5 conference even though I think they will end up in the ACC. Kudos to having a few too many on a Friday night, it's got to be better than this Seahawks/Chargers game.

Haha. There's a good chance I had too many! Got home from golfing an hour ago and not only did ZI forget what we're arguing about, I forgot I had a steak on the grill.

I'm eating fruit roll ups. And they're awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom