ND is Pipeline to WNBA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND is Pipeline to WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
True, but then there's the contingent who lecture the boastful ones about being ungracious. We're a complicated bunch in case you haven't noticed.
complicated, among other things :p
Other things, no doubt, such as . . .

Knowledgeable, good-humored, articulate, sophisticated, imaginative, and . . . and . . .

A_20Scout_20is_original.jpg

Reaction Score
A friend of mine's son was a ND athlete. He told me after visiting South Bend one time that "ND runs the best women's college basketball program in the country."

He knows where my loyalties lie so I just looked at him and smiled.
Of course he would say that. Since living in IN for a number of years and meeting numerous nd alum and fans they are the best at one thing: arrogance!

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that The Boneyard is loaded with a group of fair minded folks. Notre Dame has produced some excellent players for the WNBA and has there been another team that has played as tough against UCONN during the last 7 or 8 years? Give them credit when it is due. If every team is compared to UCONN concerning anything to do with WBB then most will fall pretty short. I love UCONN, but kicking other teams around should be below us. Go Notre Dame!
never give credit to nd

Reaction Score
If my post came across as dissing ND, it was because that was exactly what I intended to do. That's what you do with rivals and right now ND is closest we've got to one. I respect what Muffet has done at ND, but for UConn, they would be this generation's dominant team.

So let me say that I admire their gritty pluckyness. Here's to you Notre Dame Woman's Basketball:
participation-award.png

Not really, but it's a nice sentiment isn't it?
Let me second that sentiment - no "Go Notre Dame" for me! Geez - it's just a game. I have always detested ND for their football arrogance. So, as our WBB rivalry with ND has grown more testy, it has been easy for me to move in that "testy" direction. I actually do respect their excellent WBB program and the fine young women that play there. But, purely from a 'sports fan' perspective I say, "Beat 'em down and then kick 'em while they're down."

Reaction Score
FWIW: I wish we still played them in the regular season. As much I disliked Skylar (and grew to dislike Muffin Tuffit), they always gave us a great game.
Frankly, I'd like to see us play every tough team - every regular season.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Is it bad that my brain automatically translated that to Jewelly-oop of the Midwest?

Yeah, it's bad, very bad: you've got a severe case of Peck's disease. The only known cure is daily ingestion of 60z. of marinara sauce and 10 0z. of a nice sangiovese, or similar red wine. Some nice veal or pork wouldn't hurt, either. If you prefer mutton, make sure the mutton is nice and lean....

Reaction Score
FWIW: I wish we still played them in the regular season. As much I disliked Skylar (and grew to dislike Muffin Tuffit), they always gave us a great game.
Frankly, I'd like to see us play every tough team - every regular season.
We do play them in the regular season. 2013-14 season was the only break in the regular season series. We played them last December at their place, the game where Tuck was unstoppable, and will play them at home three months from now. I don't want to play any team more than a couple times in the same season (counting probable post-season meetings). That stretch where it seemed like we played them every month was too much for me, and USF has basically replaced ND in that respect. I like to see different teams. I'd rather trade a couple of those ND/USF games for different opponents.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Does any1 believe this article was timed when Lauren Cox is visiting ND this weekend.

NO, its just a coincidence :)

Lauren's visit to ND is scheduled for Sept 4-6th.

Of course it was timed for the upcoming weekend. This article was produced by Notre Dame (author Curt Rallo used to write for the SB Tribune but now writes for the university's website). Rallo, btw, is the guy who asked Geno at the testy 2014 FF press conference how he prepares his team for the NCAA tournament playing in the AAC (compared to ND's preparation in the much tougher ACC). Geno's answer was brilliant, gently smacking him down and then giving him a history lesson.

One need only read Niele Ivey's twitter account to see how ND is playing this up for recruiting purposes. As is the case in all college sports in which there are recruiting battles, coaches pay attention to what other coaches say to recruits. The ND coaches understand Geno's recruiting pitch, which he described after last year's championship game:

As the years have gone on, and now culminating with recruiting Stewy, my conversations with Stewy were more about Stewy: Think of it this way, what do you want? Tell me what you want, because even if you don't come to Connecticut, I mean, there's a chance we could still win national championships. So it's not like we're dependent on just one player.

So what do you want? And she said: You know I want to win four national championships. I want to be Player of the Year. I want to make the Olympic team. I want, I want. She wants all these things.

I said: Well, why don't you sit down and take a look at all the coaches that you think can help you do that and you tell me where you want to go to school. So it was more about now the conversation and recruiting, this is what we can do for you, as opposed to Stewy: If you come here you'll help us do something, what, we've never done before?

Notre Dame can't quite talk about multiple national championships or Olympic golds yet, but they're certainly knocking on the door. The team and individual player success plus the ND degree make for a compelling reasons to commit to ND.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have to think this is more aimed to help recruiting against the other non-UConn schools than against UConn.
Over the last 5 years, only UConn has had better success winning at the college level and producing pros (maybe Baylor is arguable). At best, ND can use this line of reasoning as "We can also send you to the WNBA and we also offer XYZ that they don't".

But UConn only takes so many kids and some kids don't like UConn for whatever reason, so it's not like every ND target is also in UConn's crosshairs - many, but not all.

Re the timing, keep in mind that the September 1 was the first date schools are allowed to talk to high school juniors and home visits to those juniors are coming up. This is as much or more aimed at the Megan Walkers of the world than at Lauren Cox.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Apropos of "selling" I sorta wish they'd have the warm up top with 10 years - 5 down each arm. 'Course, most opponents are psyched already. For the last three years the most definitive recruiting statement has been made on national TV in early April. Starting around the time they are 6 years old potential future recruits have UConn on their minds as a "dream."

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
okay as a west coast resident who just got to her computer this morning, I find this very entertaining and laughable. If that's their best for Cox -- maybe one should realize that Stanford has 6 alumnae in the WNBA (Wiggins, Appel, Pohlen, Pedersen, and the 2 O sisters)! If 5 is the number then Cox will end up at UConn if she truly values basketball as #1 in her mind.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have to think this is more aimed to help recruiting against the other non-UConn schools than against UConn.
Over the last 5 years, only UConn has had better success winning at the college level and producing pros (maybe Baylor is arguable). At best, ND can use this line of reasoning as "We can also send you to the WNBA and we also offer XYZ that they don't".

But UConn only takes so many kids and some kids don't like UConn for whatever reason, so it's not like every ND target is also in UConn's crosshairs - many, but not all.

Re the timing, keep in mind that the September 1 was the first date schools are allowed to talk to high school juniors and home visits to those juniors are coming up. This is as much or more aimed at the Megan Walkers of the world than at Lauren Cox.

Although this recruiting brochure will of course be used against other schools I think it is aimed at competing specifically with UConn. Just look at the content:

The Coaching: quotes from WNBA coaches about how well ND develops its players. Player development and producing WNBA-ready talent is a strength of Geno and the UConn program.

The Network: former players come back and practice with the current team. How often have we heard about the UConn alums coming back to practice with the Huskies or the UConn club in the WNBA? One program from the south included the practice issue in an NCAA complaint.

The Competition: ND plays in the tough ACC and plays schools from other P5 conferences. UConn's conference affiliation is a weak spot and this brochure subtly goes right after that weak spot.

Style of Play: Up tempo, style of play produces players who are WNBA-ready. Again, no school produces more WNBA-ready players than UConn.

Both schools competed for Samuelson and Collier and are now competing for Cox, Walker, Jade Williams and likely others.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Although this recruiting brochure will of course be used against other schools I think it is aimed at competing specifically with UConn.

That's fair, but all of those things (minus the competition) are things that set both of those schools apart from many other schools.

So you can read it as "here's what we do that is like UConn" or as "here's what we do that only us and UConn do"

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That's fair, but all of those things (minus the competition) are things that set both of those schools apart from many other schools.

So you can read it as "here's what we do that is like UConn" or as "here's what we do that only us and UConn do"

True and well said.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
x.

Duke has produced 6 WNBA players in the past 5 years.... 5 who are still playing..... including 4 first round picks. If you go back 7 years.... the number increases to 5 first round picks. Plus quite a few others who have played overseas. 8 current WNBA players........ hopefully Lindsey Harding gets another shot next year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Duke has produced 6 WNBA players in the past 5 years.... 5 who are still playing..... including 4 first round picks. If you go back 7 years.... the number increases to 5 first round picks. Plus quite a few others who have played overseas. 8 current WNBA players... hopefully Lindsey Harding gets another shot next year.

Yeah, Duke's pretty close, but ND is on a streak of 4 straight years with top 3 picks, including a #1 overall in Loyd, so I think strictly over the last 5 years ND is ahead. (A streak that will break this year unless Mabrey, Cable, or Huffman are injected with super soldier serum).

And then there's the "winning at the college level" part of the statement...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah, Duke's pretty close, but ND is on a streak of 4 straight years with top 3 picks, including a #1 overall in Loyd, so I think strictly over the last 5 years ND is ahead. (A streak that will break this year unless Mabrey, Cable, or Huffman are injected with super soldier serum).

Sure ND is ahead in the last five years .... just injecting that there are other places besides UCONN and ND that put players in the WNBA and in overseas leagues at a pretty good rate. :cool:

And then there's the "winning at the college level" part of the statement...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Et tu, Brute ? :confused:

Reaction Score
Sure ND is ahead in the last five years .... just injecting that there are other places besides UCONN and ND that put players in the WNBA and in overseas leagues at a pretty good rate. :cool:

Et tu, Brute ? :confused:
Don't feel bad, Notre Dame fans have to take their shots when they can.:D

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Mel:

Mel Greenberg ‏@womhoopsguru Sep 3
So jewell loyd’s move to WNBA enabling Notre Dame to top UConn with 4 straight lotto picks no longer an Irish sin. :) http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/090315aap.html…

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that The Boneyard is loaded with a group of fair minded folks. Notre Dame has produced some excellent players for the WNBA and has there been another team that has played as tough against UCONN during the last 7 or 8 years? Give them credit when it is due. If every team is compared to UCONN concerning anything to do with WBB then most will fall pretty short. I love UCONN, but kicking other teams around should be below us. Go Notre Dame!
Thank you for this commentary, one of the few on this thread that makes sense to me. Of course the article in question is a bit of a puff piece, and, of course, it is purposely timed to favorably influence recruiting. The points that it makes relative to the "system" at Notre Dame are perfectly fair and entirely justified. For that reason alone, we UConn fans should be thankful that it was written. Is there anyone around here who thinks that highly prized recruits fail to apply the same criteria in their thinking to the one program that need not publicize the fact that it, and it alone, outshines ND in all of the areas touched upon by the author? By any standard, the writer did UConn a big favor by writing it. It is a trademark, in my opinion, of ND fans to always feel their teams and their programs are being "dissed" and ranked too low. That kind of whining should be far below fans of the ten time national champions. Did I say ten? Gee, I wonder if Lauren Cox and the other top recruits are aware of that...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would be completely shocked if UConn WBB hasn't produced similar documents or brochures touting its accomplishments and those of its alumni that it has distributed to recruits during the recruiting process. What's different here is that ND has produced its in an article format and has made it publicly available on its website. It's also been promoted and circulated by ND's various twitter accounts (program, coaches). The UConn program keeps its stuff in-house and rarely uses twitter, particularly for recruiting purposes. The contrast in style and approach is what interests me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom