ND is Pipeline to WNBA | The Boneyard

ND is Pipeline to WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Piece done by the ND athletic department about ND developing its players for the WNBA. Nicely done and just in time for recruiting season.

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/090315aap.html

Imagine what UConn could put together about its program if it were so inclined. They could add winning championships and Olympic and World Championship gold medals.

Geno once said he thinks UConn is the best women's basketball program in the country but "we don't go around flaunting it." Geno, I think you should change your mind on that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have the highest number of alumnae in the WNBA?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's outstanding for ND!!! If only there was a way to win National Championships and go the WNBA!!

Oh wait there is.... just not in South Bend.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Of course, some would say UConn doesn't have to do its own puff pieces; ESPN does them. That's a fair point: The Geno Auriemma Project (Parts I, II and III).

Reaction Score
The article has sub headlines and discusses "The Coaching", "The Network", "The Style of Play", etc. Obviously at UCONN all those things are done better and there is one sub headline they can't discuss, "HOW TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS".

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
10 of last 12 WNBA champions had UConn alum on them (drops mic)[/QUO
This VERY short article on the UCONN Athletic site (1 sentence plus list) has basically the same name: "Connecticut Basketball: A Pipeline to the WNBA".

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/wnba.html

BTW ND has 5 players in the WNBA, UCONN has 12 (but I noticed UCONN is counting DT, who is taking a year off)

Now UConn currently has 13, with Kalana Green signing on with the Lynz yesterday!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This headline on this forum is like throwing chum in the shark tank.

Very true. I didn't know what thread title to use as the lead title of the piece was too long and boring. I decided to borrow from the subtitle (Coaching, style of play & resources make ND pipeline to pros). As I said, it's very well done and ND has every reason to be proud of its accomplishments and former players. UConn is sometimes too reticent to boast about its accomplishments.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
pipelines.jpg

Reaction Score
Very true. I didn't know what thread title to use as the lead title of the piece was too long and boring. I decided to borrow from the subtitle (Coaching, style of play & resources make ND pipeline to pros). As I said, it's very well done and ND has every reason to be proud of its accomplishments and former players. UConn is sometimes too reticent to boast about its accomplishments.
When you're the best you don't need to talk about it, the results says it all. If you have to be talking yourself up it's probably due to a sense of inferiority.

Reaction Score
This VERY short article on the UCONN Athletic site (1 sentence plus list) has basically the same name: "Connecticut Basketball: A Pipeline to the WNBA".

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/wnba.html

BTW ND has 5 players in the WNBA, UCONN has 12 (but I noticed UCONN is counting DT, who is taking a year off)

I think that's wrong. UCONN has 15 players in the WNBA, including the two best players.

That "UConn Basketball: Pipeline to the WNBA" list is not updated and it's incorrect. It fails to include Kiah (NYLiberty) and Kaleena (Seattle Storm). So that makes 15 Huskies!!... you must include Diana since she's only taking one year off to recharge. You cannot omit the best player in the game).
(It does list Kalana with the Mystics, so the switch to the Lynx results in no net change to UConn's total).

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

The fanbase surely isnt ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When you're the best you don't need to talk about it, the results says it all. If you have to be talking yourself up it's probably due to a sense of inferiority.

Maybe. But after reading this ND piece I can't help but contrast it with the reaction here to Kiah Stokes' terrific rookie year. Rather than all celebrating her success and how the UConn program prepared her for the pros, we're left debating whether Geno somehow failed her during her time at UConn. I guess that's the price of so much success.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine's son was a ND athlete. He told me after visiting South Bend one time that "ND runs the best women's college basketball program in the country."

He knows where my loyalties lie so I just looked at him and smiled.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think that's wrong. UCONN has 15 players in the WNBA, including the two best players.

That "UConn Basketball: Pipeline to the WNBA" list is not updated and it's incorrect. It fails to include Kiah (NYLiberty) and Kaleena (Seattle Storm). So that makes 15 Huskies!!... you must include Diana since she's only taking one year off to recharge. You cannot omit the best player in the game).
(It does list Kalana with the Mystics, so the switch to the Lynx results in no net change to UConn's total).

I make it 14. Charde Houston isn't in the WNBA right now.

Bird
Cash
Charles
Dolson
Faris
Greene
Hartley
Hayes
Jones
Montgomery
Moore
Mosqueda-Lewis
Stokes
Taurasi

Reaction Score
Piece done by the ND athletic department about ND developing its players for the WNBA. Nicely done and just in time for recruiting season.

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/090315aap.html

Imagine what UConn could put together about its program if it were so inclined. They could add winning championships and Olympic and World Championship gold medals.

Geno once said he thinks UConn is the best women's basketball program in the country but "we don't go around flaunting it." Geno, I think you should change your mind on that.

Notre Dame, I've always been a fan of their Football and Digger and early on Muffett. They can write what they want--they have had a few WnBA recruits--Diggiy, Riley, Loyd--maybe more. Their Article should have been titled : Notre Dame The 1 inch pipeline to the WNBA.
Christine should write one titled" The 4 ft Conduit to the WNBA, UConn. What is Uconn's embarrassment is the numbers Uconn has sent to the WNBA --as someone has said (paraphrasing) --WNBA UConn's Grad program .

Point is, let ND puff all they want any kid with any knowledge of current WBB College level knows the only game in town is UConn if you want exposure that gets you into the WNBA or Europe or Asia.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But after reading this ND piece I can't help but contrast it with the reaction here to Kiah Stokes' terrific rookie year. Rather than all celebrating her success and how the UConn program prepared her for the pros, we're left debating whether Geno somehow failed her during her time at UConn. I guess that's the price of so much success.

I think that boat has sailed. Only a few canoe's floating the anti-Geno vs Kiah anymore. If you review the number of threads with Kiah or KIAH STOKES or Stokes in their title I think you would view the totality of Celebration UConn fans have for Kiah's success up to now and we expect better in the future, after she is UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that The Boneyard is loaded with a group of fair minded folks. Notre Dame has produced some excellent players for the WNBA and has there been another team that has played as tough against UCONN during the last 7 or 8 years? Give them credit when it is due. If every team is compared to UCONN concerning anything to do with WBB then most will fall pretty short. I love UCONN, but kicking other teams around should be below us. Go Notre Dame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom